GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Knock sound from somewhere around gear shift

x2001234

one Golf GTI owner
Car(s)
Golf GTi....
Hey guys

Ya, my car is an 08 GOlf GTI (maunal), I just wonder if you have the same problem.

Ok ... the knock noise sounds like somewhere under (or around) my gear shifter. It only happens when i turn right really hard, it's not constainly "Knock knock knock~~*", just "knock", let's it. mostly happen when round above. I put the car on hoist couple times, check the cross member and everything but they all cool, so .... what you guys think? Diff???

haha ...

Last edited:

TwentyonePSI

Crody
Car(s)
FSI
What diff?

apmitchell74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R36 Twin Turbo Golf
I would think maybe a mount... If it happens when you turn hard it could be the sound of gearbox mount or even the exhaust mount s under the gear shifter..:iono:
Put it up on a hoist and check it out..:thumbsup:

isaw84

Banned
Car(s)
MKV GTI
possibly mount.

personally I'd think its a stretched subframe bolt, had a similar thunk in mine when I hit the track, and went on spirited drives. there is a known TSB out about it, easiest thing to do is buy new bolts and swap them.

Popping subframe clunk should find some info if you searched. the main thread was on vortex

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
ive been having this same issue for ages now. i get it when turning left into a fast corner, reversing generally with hard left lock on and sometimes under hard acceleration. its usually 1-2 knocks and no more. it too sounds like its coming from around the gear shifter and worst of all you can kinda feel it in the footwell

it bugs the living shit out of me cos its not right. ive had the dealer look at it 2 times now and even done the subframe bolt mod and still nothing :frown:

x2001234

one Golf GTI owner
Car(s)
Golf GTi....
Hmm, seems like it's just common for rabbit.
I think I'll just leave it there, nothing is gana fall while driving then that's all cool~haha

Also ..... Do you guys feel your steering wheel is got the jam feeling when you are parking and turn it near steering lock??
Ya .... feels just like someone is grabbing your steering wheel
Haha~

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
just turn up the music ;)

iluvbrownale

White Lightning
same here. started about 2 months ago. glad i'm not going nuts (debate..)

Oddly, I had this PIA squeeking in the rear n/s passenger door - sounded like alvin & the chipmunks were in there on all but glassy bitumen. Was ready to take it back to dealer and then bam! one day, gone.

I think my next service i'm going to be Mr Picky over everything as my local stealer is shit and I want them to work for their service money; I have the clunk as above, I have some rattles, the vent on top of dash doesn't fit properly on one side, the airbag cover on the A pillar has a big gap at the top, the sunroof diffuser rattles when it's open. Plus, I'm not convinced my climate control works properly as it can only do COLD or HOT and very little in between. Setting it to Auto just makes it go full power cold even tho say the temp is set to 23 both sides and it's all of 18 outside.

x2001234

one Golf GTI owner
Car(s)
Golf GTi....
same here. started about 2 months ago. glad i'm not going nuts (debate..)

Oddly, I had this PIA squeeking in the rear n/s passenger door - sounded like alvin & the chipmunks were in there on all but glassy bitumen. Was ready to take it back to dealer and then bam! one day, gone.

I think my next service i'm going to be Mr Picky over everything as my local stealer is shit and I want them to work for their service money; I have the clunk as above, I have some rattles, the vent on top of dash doesn't fit properly on one side, the airbag cover on the A pillar has a big gap at the top, the sunroof diffuser rattles when it's open. Plus, I'm not convinced my climate control works properly as it can only do COLD or HOT and very little in between. Setting it to Auto just makes it go full power cold even tho say the temp is set to 23 both sides and it's all of 18 outside.

God Bless all the Golfs ....