GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

KMD HPFP nightmare

JettiGLI

Go Kart Newbie
As the title says, it was a freakin nightmare, I have an 07 GLI TFSI with K04 turbo (thanks to staulkor post K04 time).
Because I was a cheap bastard I bought KMD HPFP mod, which became my worst choice.
I had my car build up on May, everything fine until one week ago. I noticed my idle was very rough. Changed MAF, N80, Rear PCV, Sparks and Coils. Nothing seemed to help.
Yesterday I checked the engine oil stick and it was bordering MAX, wtf?
I cleared all adaptation with vag com and went for a ride, nothing wrong when driving, car pulled hard. Until it went to idle, it was a super smoke cloud.
Next morning I checked the oil stick and it was 3 inches passed the MAX level, again WTF and it had fuel smell.
Took of the HPFP and checked, KMD piston al scratched over loosen the spring and had a terrible leak from the pump to the Cam follower spilling fuel to my engine oil.
Fortunately I noticed, changed oil twice to clear fuel contaminants, and I had a spare pump, but I am waiting for Berk@DBC (great company) to ship a autotech fuel pump upgrade.
Conclusion: KMD builds pieces of Sh*t, what else can I say of a company that burns off OEM injectors part numbers and sells them as there brand!

gti314

mkv-gti-fast
Car(s)
'08 GTI MKV
wow im am sorry to hear i would be pissed what did kmd do about it, shoulda went with autotech from the start

SpoonGTi

NOM NOM NOM...
Car(s)
what else...
what about autotech's HPFP rebuild kit. Has anyone had any good results with the autotech since the OP said that KMD is not a wise choice.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Only 1 pump has been proven to be 100% awesome and dammit near guaranteed not to Fuck up.... APR hpfp

posted with my phone

SpoonGTi

NOM NOM NOM...
Car(s)
what else...
Only 1 pump has been proven to be 100% awesome and dammit near guaranteed not to Fuck up.... APR hpfp

posted with my phone

looks like i'll be sticking with my stock HPFP for a very long time. I can bearly afford my car payments. Yet alone buying something that is worth more than my car payment is not possible at the moment. I'll just wait until my car is payed off and when I'm done with college.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
I know of many Autotech installs here in town with no problems and good results.

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
Thanks for the shout out OP! haha

I had a KMD HPFP fail on me within 100 miles. I am 99% sure I contaminated it during installation. Car was out of service for a few days while KMD overnighted a new pump. They provided excellent customer service for the duration of that problem.

The pump was installed 2.5 years ago and still works great.

Now I know there are a lot of horror stories with KMD, but there are always horror stories with every company. Just remember your mileage may vary.

utekineir

Banned
Far from the first this happened to.

Happened to me within 3k miles, warrantied kmd sent a new one, sold it, happened to the guy that bought it, he warrantied, sold it. There are many others this happened to.

Supposedly if you use a new hpfp to do the upgrade on the seals will hold, but then you're at apr pump cost so why bother.

My car ran better with the apr pump instantly, noticeably better than it ever ran on kmd pump.

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
I have used my KMD pump for along time, even now with the GT23071r turbo, its still working great. I have also re-built a few HPFP's with KMD internals and no issues to report. If you the take time, and create a clean environment to work in and have patience, this pump will last.

JettiGLI

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the replies, I build the KMD pump very carefully, cleaned pump internals, lube the internals and kmd pistons before installation.
I am worried if I got any internal damage done on the engine, I drove 1 hour with the oil contaminated. I am going to add today Liqui Moly Ceratec to prevent corrosion and restore protective properties to the metal components.
Yes it is version 2.1

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Get Apr hpfp kit dude. Worth its weight in gold.

posted with my phone