GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Kia copying Xenon "eyelid" style from VW?

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
Looks like Kia is copying the "eyelid style" of the Xenon lights that VW uses with their GTI/R.

Since I don't know how to be descriptive enough:

Plastic trim above the projector shrouds would be more specific as to what you're referring to :)

From Autoblog.com:

Last edited:

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Peter Schreyer is an ex-VAG designer, after all.

Doesn't matter, though. The Mk7 uses an entirely different projector design.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
There is only so many things you can do with lighting. At some point, there is going to be similarities. At least the 'eyelids' or whatever aren't as long.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
More of a visor than an eyelid. Eyelids for lights usually refer to the entire assembly, VW has used a visor for the headlamp projector.

And yes Kia has been mimicking VW for some time. The Sportage copied the Tiguan's rear bumper lights almost perfectly (except they also use them as turn signals).

Also, the new Kia Forte hatch with it's turbo looks very promising (for a Kia).

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2012 GTI, Sun/Nav
The Mk8 will have reactive fluorescing illumination. You won't see any visible light from the "headlights"; the road and surroundings will simply glow in front of you.

It's not recommended to stand in front of the vehicle while the system is on, however; it's known to the state of California to cause cancer.

Skipdr

Go Kart Champion
Most of the Korean companies use German brands to get design cues. They've been doing it for quite some time now

colslaw87

Ready to race!
There might be a functional reason for the bullet style eyelids :iono:

Most of the Korean companies use German brands to get design cues. They've been doing it for quite some time now

Agree, 90% of automotive designers use VW and Audi as benchmarks. It's likely that some bits and pieces are used as inspiration.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion

Kia hired a former Audi designer. Hyundai hired a former Lexus designer.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
It does hurt me a little that Kia now sports my projector design.... damn Kia getting more and more sexy by the day, lol