GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Keys stuck in ignition

Nikerey

Darkness
So i just got home and my keys are stuck in the ignition. I can turn the car on and off, but they wont turn far enough backwards to be able to pull the key out.

The wheel isnt locked and the car is in park, soooo WTF?

The car is in the garage locked so no need to try and come steal it.

Nikerey

Darkness
ok so i went back to the garage and tried again, and after a couple min of troubleshooting i realized it had to do with the shifter. It has some play when its in park and when i pushed it further forward the keys came out.

So being the tester that i am i tried to get them stuck again and i could after a couple tries. But moving the shift knob around allowd the keys to come out.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
well i figured out how to fix it, not what the problem is

This used to happen once in a while on my tiptronic A4. I know it's 2 completely different trannys, but maybe it's just a VAG thing. I've only owned one auto car, the rest manual, so I wouldn't really know.

Same solution though, a couple wiggles and the keys would free up.

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!
This was also an issue with my GF's mkv Jetta a while back. If you looked into the keyhole, there was something like a white plastic tab that would hold it into place. We would have to take something and push that tab back in order to get it out. Do you put yours into 1st when you parked? This would happen on her car when it was in neutral with the parking brake pulled.

gtiTom

The Average Asian
Car(s)
VW MK5 GTI
Sloppy, he has DSG. Nikerey, this happened to me yesterday. I pressed the brake pedal ( though, I didn't think that did anything, but I did it anyway. ) and used a bit of force to get the key out. It worked and it hasn't jammed since.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
Happened once. I just re-shifted into park completely, held the brake, and shimmied the wheel left and right a bit while pulling the key and it comes right out.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
This was also an issue with my GF's mkv Jetta a while back. If you looked into the keyhole, there was something like a white plastic tab that would hold it into place. We would have to take something and push that tab back in order to get it out. Do you put yours into 1st when you parked? This would happen on her car when it was in neutral with the parking brake pulled.

Is this a manual? No autos will allow you to pull the key out when it's in neutral, regardless of manufacturer.

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!