GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just picked up a 2017 GTI SE yesterday and I’m thrilled to say the least! However, I have a couple questions for those with more experience.

Clevelandmk7GTI

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI SE
So, this car has seemed to be taken care of very well but I do have one major concern. To preface this the car has about 51k miles. I know the DSG service was supposed to happen at 40k miles but it was not shown within the Carfax. Should I be concerned about this? I’m gonna try to get it in ASAP. This is kind of weird given how well taken care of the rest of the car seems to be. Would the service tech be able to very easily spot whether it was done or not? Also any other advice about good, cheap starting mods would be fantastic. I’m very new to ownership after all!

Reyes351

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
You can try checking the DSG drain plugs for marks or fluid in the area, if it was done recently you should be able to tell the difference between the surrounding area grime/dirt and any marks on the plugs themselves. If it was done at the dealership, then the service advisor can pull the history on the car and tell you. Congrats on the car!

Clevelandmk7GTI

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI SE
You can try checking the DSG drain plugs for marks or fluid in the area, if it was done recently you should be able to tell the difference between the surrounding area grime/dirt and any marks on the plugs themselves. If it was done at the dealership, then the service advisor can pull the history on the car and tell you. Congrats on the car!
Thanks for the advice! All the service was done at a VW dealership so I’ll definitively look into that.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Call the dealer where it was serviced and ask.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

I did my change and it left no traces on the drain plug. I doubt it's possible to tell from that alone.

Reyes351

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
I did my change and it left no traces on the drain plug. I doubt it's possible to tell from that alone.
True, hard to tell from that alone, but the surrounding areas can tell you a lot about any work performed.
There are good techs that go the extra mile and there are newer techs that leave hints of their work.
You would be one of the better ones! lol

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Congrats and welcome.

There are chances that Carfax might have missed it. Call the dealership and they should be able to provide you the service history.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
I dont use the dealer for any maintenance. Its all third party shops or myself so none of it would likely show up on carfax. Carfax is nice to check but I wouldnt rely on it.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
True, hard to tell from that alone, but the surrounding areas can tell you a lot about any work performed.
There are good techs that go the extra mile and there are newer techs that leave hints of their work.
You would be one of the better ones! lol

Lol. Yeah, i would be super anal and would leave other people's cars in an immaculate state.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
My take: if it’s all stock otherwise, even if the DSG hasn’t been flushed yet I don’t believe you can expect a reduced lifetime of the transmission because of it. I’ve been into VWs since 08, so I’ve seen 12 years of modding DQ250s and they are honestly one of the best transmissions in the last 20 years (perhaps ever???).

So yeah. Just bring get it flushed for peace of mind and don’t think twice. You’ll be alright.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Lol. Yeah, i would be super anal and would leave other people's cars in an immaculate state.

ohmy.gif

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So, this car has seemed to be taken care of very well but I do have one major concern. To preface this the car has about 51k miles. I know the DSG service was supposed to happen at 40k miles but it was not shown within the Carfax. Should I be concerned about this? I’m gonna try to get it in ASAP. This is kind of weird given how well taken care of the rest of the car seems to be. Would the service tech be able to very easily spot whether it was done or not? Also any other advice about good, cheap starting mods would be fantastic. I’m very new to ownership after all!

If you can't determine if the DSG fluid was changed just do it and change spark plugs also.

Clevelandmk7GTI

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI SE
My take: if it’s all stock otherwise, even if the DSG hasn’t been flushed yet I don’t believe you can expect a reduced lifetime of the transmission because of it. I’ve been into VWs since 08, so I’ve seen 12 years of modding DQ250s and they are honestly one of the best transmissions in the last 20 years (perhaps ever???).

So yeah. Just bring get it flushed for peace of mind and don’t think twice. You’ll be alright.
Thanks for the help!