GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JOM Coilovers Sitting Uneven? (Front Passenger Higher than the Rest)

frankiebason

Hi all, long time listener, first time caller.

About 6 months back, I ordered and installed a set of JOM BlueLine Coilovers from Modded Euros on my MK5 GTI ('08). Install went flawless, and I've spent A LOT of time trying to dial my fitment in. I mean - A LOT. I'm running into one repeated problem though, my front passenger side coilover does not sit anywhere even relatively close to the front driver side, or even the rears. I'm not trying to touch ground or do anything crazy, just get a nice flush fitment to the top of the tire. The rear coilovers are adjusted about 3/4 of the way down the threads, and they sit beautifully. The front driver side is about the same, between 1/2 and 3/4 the way down the threads, and sitting aaaaalmost exactly where I want it. The front passenger, however, is adjusted literally as low as I can possibly make it (so much so to the point I was worried the locknut would actually unthread and fall), and the fender is sitting about an inch higher than where I need it. What gives?

I know this could just be a case of "you get what you pay for", being that JOMs aren't by any means a state of the art piece of equipment. But I thoroughly cannot deter why this one corner is being so stubborn! I have un-installed and re-installed that corner twice now, so I know installation is not the issue. I can't tell if something is holding it up, or what's going on really, but it's seriously bothering me.

Has anyone ever heard of this, or have a solution? I would be open to modifying the strut or spring. Anything to even the damn thing out!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The threads won't be even from side to side, like you're thinking. One side might have no threads left and the other might have 12 threads left...it is what it is.
Just set it to whatever gets you sitting where you want it.

Also make sure the strut is bottomed out all the way in the knuckle too btw (there's a lip at the bottom it should be sitting against).