GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Job security

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
So what do you guys predict for the future of job security for the lower middle class of the US.

So far i have thought of that most of the people for the lower class work in jobs that do not require much skill and in the future more and more companies will be going abroad because its cheaper and its not to hard to do a task for non-skilled labor. Also the people abroad esp in poorer countries may be more determined to work those jobs than Americans.
There is also that in the manufacturing industry, many factories will switch to robots because they are more cost effective than humans. So more people here will also lose jobs.
Does anyone have any other ideas of why job security might be a problem in the future for the lower middle class. Its just something i need for my essay. Any help will be appreciated

VrstewartW

What is a Ronaldo?
I work in IT and after having 3 jobs in one year last year, its pretty scary. Luckily I got hired by a good company and have been with them for half a year already.

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
So what do you guys predict for the future of job security for the lower middle class of the US.

So far i have thought of that most of the people for the lower class work in jobs that do not require much skill and in the future more and more companies will be going abroad because its cheaper and its not to hard to do a task for non-skilled labor. Also the people abroad esp in poorer countries may be more determined to work those jobs than Americans.
There is also that in the manufacturing industry, many factories will switch to robots because they are more cost effective than humans. So more people here will also lose jobs.
Does anyone have any other ideas of why job security might be a problem in the future for the lower middle class. Its just something i need for my essay. Any help will be appreciated

Reading that last paragraph is like traveling 30 years back in time. It's an old argument. Most of that stuff happened decades ago. The lower middle class seems focused on independent contractor type work like electricians, plumbers, etc. Non-skilled labor will always be here and almost any manual job that could be replaced by a machine has been transitioned long ago.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
Reading that last paragraph is like traveling 30 years back in time. It's an old argument. Most of that stuff happened decades ago. The lower middle class seems focused on independent contractor type work like electricians, plumbers, etc. Non-skilled labor will always be here and almost any manual job that could be replaced by a machine has been transitioned long ago.

wow ok then that argument is gone. Umm how about that more new companies will arise online kinda like amazon. I alrdy know there are many but you think i could say to the point where businesses that currently have stores will shut down and move online. That argument may be way out there, but how about somewhere along those lines??

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
i think we're fucked personally.

i know two guys w/ bachelors in business, one is a greeter at applebees, the other works on the sales floor at staples.

Tons of people in VT are losing their jobs. some amazing hardware stores and factories are getting shut down left and right. it may be 75 people and you may say that's not much but that affects everybody.

there are carpenters and contractors walking the block around here, putting pamplets in peoples mailboxes because they're so desperate to find work.

basically in times like these it's all about who you know, and who is your friend.

utekineir

Banned
welcome to lowes how can i help you

welcome to home depot how can i help you

welcome to walmart how can i help you

welcome to target how can i help you

welcome to circuit city, oh wait

welcome to best buy, fuck you if you don't like our prices.

Seriously though, I handle some apartments for family. So my schedule is nothing resembling a 9-5. I end up making trips for repairs and whatnot frequently. The amount of cars I see out during the middle of the week at shopping places makes me wonder about the whole recession thing. I've circled a best buy parking lot to find a spot during the around 2 in the afternoon. Most large chain places I pull into wether its a weekday or weekend the parking lots are plump and the stores are busy.

MagicChic

GolfMKV Madame
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
wow ok then that argument is gone. Umm how about that more new companies will arise online kinda like amazon. I alrdy know there are many but you think i could say to the point where businesses that currently have stores will shut down and move online. That argument may be way out there, but how about somewhere along those lines??

Yeah, I definitely do not think that store fronts will be shut down. Going shopping at physical stores is like a past-time for people. Plus, it creates 'impulse-buyers' which works out in our economy's benefit.

But, I dont know about what jobs will become scarce for lower-middle class people. The auto industry here in the states has obviously proved they're not concrete.

Ohh, I got one. Toll booth workers. Eventually, all of them will be covered by forcing people to have things like EZ Pass (I forget what you guys call it in the MidWest, South & West), but the tags used for the highways & turnpikes to pay for tolls. They get paid a crapload of money to do what they do. Most of them start at $16+ an hour (union job) & it's one of the jobs that has the highest suicide rates among it's workers.

Last edited:

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
i think we're fucked personally.

i know two guys w/ bachelors in business, one is a greeter at applebees, the other works on the sales floor at staples.

Tons of people in VT are losing their jobs. some amazing hardware stores and factories are getting shut down left and right. it may be 75 people and you may say that's not much but that affects everybody.

there are carpenters and contractors walking the block around here, putting pamplets in peoples mailboxes because they're so desperate to find work.

basically in times like these it's all about who you know, and who is your friend.

Nothing new here either. If you have a degree in business, you have to go where the jobs are. Vermont is not exactly the financial hub of the country... that has nothing to do with the economy. I went to School in NH and saw the same stuff. Even in boom times, there's not that much development going on up there. There's a surplus of services available in places like VT but Nantucket has a service drought where you could pretty much name your price.

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
Nothing new here either. If you have a degree in business, you have to go where the jobs are. Vermont is not exactly the financial hub of the country... that has nothing to do with the economy. I went to School in NH and saw the same stuff. Even in boom times, there's not that much development going on up there. There's a surplus of services available in places like VT but Nantucket has a service drought where you could pretty much name your price.

well how about this then. business aside.

VTC, Vermont Technical Center in Randolph, VT, is a very good tech school that used to provide a 75-85% job placement rate after graduation.

now it's about 20-25%.

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
well how about this then. business aside.

VTC, Vermont Technical Center in Randolph, VT, is a very good tech school that used to provide a 75-85% job placement rate after graduation.

now it's about 20-25%.

Yes, we're in a housing crisis. People have been spoiled over the last decade with the housing boom. Contractors could name their price and had jobs stacked up. That has all come to a grinding halt. Vermont is a location where many people have second homes (country houses or ski places) and those types of properties are getting hit particularly hard. It's an extremely cyclical industry and people should know that going into it.