GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jay's New (to me) Daily - 2008 Wolfsburg Jetta 2.0T(FSI)

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Well, This will be my third thread on the forums. Although this isn't a golf, it shares a lot of the same components being a 2.0t with a FSI. I've spent a lot of time on these forums with my other cars so I'm just going to put the thread here.

My rabbit is gone, to replace it I picked up this super clean 08' Wolfsburg Jetta, It was very well taken care of, lots of maintenance records which I appreciate, never in an accident. It's manual trans and drives fantastic.

An hour after I bought it I took it to my buddies house and put it on the lift, was shocked at how clean everything was. The undercarriage looks like it has never seen a winter. I later found out this car spent most of it's life in South Carolina where it never saw any salt. Win win for me.

Day 1 I threw a new cam follower in. The one I took out was worn but not badly, it had definitely been replaced already which was great to see.

I went over to FCPEURO and ordered a bunch of maintenance items, The tstat is on it's way out, taking a long time to warm up, figured since I don't know when this other stuff was last changed I might as well get it out of the way. Up first is:
  • Oil/Filter Change
  • Camshaft Chain Tensioner
  • Fuel Filter
  • Cabin Filter
  • Spark Plugs
  • R8 Coil Packs
  • Thermostat

I'll probably leave the car along for a while, might eventually throw a k04 and tune on. I'm skipping the stage 1/2 if I tune it though and just going to put a k04 on straight away.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Congrats, nice car. If it's reaching operating temperature but just slowly it might as well only be the in-line thermostat, not the main one (although I would expect them to seize more or less at the same time)

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Should not be any bypass thermostats in this 2008 with manual transmission.

Log G62 & G83 with Vcds or equivalent and see whats going on.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Didn’t these have smaller brakes then gli? Prob an easy swap anyway.

Yes they do. My buddy has a set of front calipers and new rotors from a mk6 gti that I'm going to put on eventually.

All the rest of the parts showed up over the weekend so I'll be tackling that sometime in the next week or so.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Only difference is rotor size and the carrier, the caliper is the same.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Yes they do. My buddy has a set of front calipers and new rotors from a mk6 gti that I'm going to put on eventually.

All the rest of the parts showed up over the weekend so I'll be tackling that sometime in the next week or so.

Lol, you mean I have your front brakes off your MK6 GTI. My old front brakes died with the Rabbit.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Pretty standard design for that bulb size.