GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is the Dude kicking tires now? Dafuq?!

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Recently the thought has crossed my mind that the R may not be the right car for my situation. I drive 30k+ miles a year and spend between $300 and $400 a month on gas. Sometimes more. On some drives recently I have been wishing I had a comfier ride. Wtf that is about? I do not know... maybe I am getting old. Sigh.

In any case, I have 67k miles on her and owe about $25k. It would be less but I rolled in 5k negative equity when I bought her. I did not know about the Chicago Car Network at the time. Forgive me. I could make up some cash by selling mods. Maybe $3-4k after labor but that will be a headache to deal with. Not to mention who the hell is going to buy my APR RSC exhaust now?:laugh:

So do I de-mod and sell her now and pick up a comfier used commuter type car that will save me gas $$ and lower my $600/mo car payment? Like what though?

Do I run her into the ground for the next 3.5 years of my loan? I'd be at 175k miles by then. Wowsers.

I figure I'd be at about break-even maybe, slightly above water, by the time the mk7 MT comes out. That's kinda where my heart is at the moment. Maybe I'll be in an even better position if I wait for a used CPO MT mk7 R.

Honestly, I feel stuck. It's not the worst place in the world to be stuck driving this fun little car around, but it ain't cheap and maybe there is a smart move that I just can't think of that will save me money and keep me in a fun practical car that can handle all the driving I do.

tl;dr- Dude made the stupidest financial decision of his life by buying an overpriced egg car and is potentially considering options. Thank you. Balls.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I can get you into a comfier Audimobile.

All you've gotta do is sign right here: X______________________________

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
i'd rather be in your car than my car. the tiny cost of gas will be far outweighed by the changing car costs. once the MK7 R M/T is out, then its time to move.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Your car is probably worth 18-20k tops. So you're underwater as is... There is no "right" decision per say. If you wanted to save money you get an actual cheap car like a manual early 2000s civic and drive that. Other than that you'll be bleeding money by switching into anything more expensive.

Is your interest rate ok? If not it may be time to refinance and or buy something cheaper.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
I think you should just keep it. You have put a lot of money into the R and it is setup quite well. Sucks to spend so much for gas, but at least you can have fun when you want.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
have you considered going to 17" wheels and tires?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
BTW gas is cheap now... I don't see this complaining...

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Keep it clean, drive the balls off of it and wait for the depreciation curve to bottom out.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Recently the thought has crossed my mind that the R may not be the right car for my situation. I drive 30k+ miles a year and spend between $300 and $400 a month on gas. Sometimes more. On some drives recently I have been wishing I had a comfier ride. Wtf that is about? I do not know... maybe I am getting old. Sigh.

LOL welcome to my world... On the R32 I was driving +/-40K a year and spending upwards of $700 a month in gas... Traded it in on a Golf TDI and the savings literally paid for the difference in cost. Yes I was upside down on the R; yes I had to roll it into the cost of the TDI to trade; now I spend on average ~$200 a month in diesel, saving me a net of almost $400 a month even after the increased monthly car payment.

It can be worth it; but it depends on what you really want. I wanted the money for other things; $400 a month is a big chunk of screw-around cash for whatever we want to do now; but I can't floor the TDI and get pushed back in the seat or laugh maniacally at the VR6 symphony either...

If you care about the performance; keep the GoRf and put some lightweight 17s on it. You'll be surprised at how much of a difference that will make in the ride.

If you don't really care anymore; look into a TDI... More comfortable ride, and ~40+ mpg can make a big difference in what it actually costs you to switch...