GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is my mpg meant to be this low?

N44HXM

Hi all,

Recently just bought a new GTi Mk5, extremely happy upgrading from a Aygo after 3 years.

The thing is the mpg is currently so low, around 23 which is a mix of dual carriage way and some normal roads.

My temperature is quite low, takes a while to get to 90 but could this be due to the weather in London?

Just came home after a 15 minutes drive, so a couple minutes of 30 mph mile roads, then I was doing a constant 50 on the dual carriage way till coming home. After 15 minutes of driving the car still was mostly around 70ish and once I got home it got to around 75/80. Is this something to be concerned over?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200229_005239.jpg
    20200229_005239.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Passed Driver's Ed
Lots of things can contribute to poor gas mileage. Proper tire inflation. Rubbing brake pads. But start with fresh spark plugs. Yes, it can take a while for the coolant to get to 90. That part looks normal. If you're very concerned about it, I guess you could replace the thermostat, but that's a non-trivial repair since it's pretty deeply buried. I'd leave well enough alone.

N44HXM

Yeah I think the spark plugs are quite old to be honest, don't think the previous owner changed them for a while. Will get them all changed and see if there's an improvement.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
The thing is the mpg is currently so low, around 23... Is this something to be concerned over?

Yes it is. The temp issue is likely the thermostat. Quite a few MK5's have begun to see the thermo's fail. Mine just began with a P2181 code and the temp gets near normal and drops before reaching normal(because the thermo is opening prematurely)...then takes a long time to reach normal. Temps do affect optimal running and can affect its mpg because it will run richer when a thermostat is stuck open or opens too soon. For this reason, I wouldn't begin addressing the mpg until you fix the thermo issue.

Then after you install a new thermo, regarding the mileage, I would find someone that could help you to read fuel trims just to make sure all else is OK. So, to eliminate whether or not it is a leak issue first. Fuel trim additive's live data, or short term fuel trim, can tell you if it has a leak in the vacuum system or air inlet system. Fuel trim multiplicative data can tell you if it is an ignition issue.

Have you had the stored codes looked at?

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
In stock form these car are not mileage masters, depending if DSG vs Manual. This is from the US EPA for mileage efficiency for a '07 GTI

Manual https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/compareMPG.shtml#id=22779

DSG https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/comparempg.shtml?words=#id=22780

As you can see you are not that far off from the combined numbers, perhaps you can look up the Euro mileage figures for your GTI.

If you have a scan tool use it to check for codes and to also log the Temp sensors from a clod start and that will give you a better idea if senor issue or the thermostat is staying open.