GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is LC9Z the same as Z4Z4?

dddrew.

blah.
Z4Z4 = Black Magic Metallic
LC9Z = Black Magic Pearl
the above is based on the research i've found online.

I always thought there were a couple different black's used on the GTI but maybe im just getting Deep Black and Black Magic mixed up because the dealership told me Z4Z4 = LC9Z. I just wanted to verify this is true with some other people before I purchase a part that is painted. My car says LC9Z in the trunk but the dealership is telling me this Z4Z4 piece is the exact same thing.

I want to make sure it's not one of those "kind of the same" type of deals compared to "these are the same paint but just different codes for some stupid silly reason"

Yes, i searched but wasn't confident with the results.

Last edited:

-SnowMan-

Ready to race!
Judging just on the name, the LC9Z is a pearl paint which has a bit of a glimmer to it and the Z4Z4 isnt. Consult a different dealer to be sure.

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
The color code on my 2007 BMP GTI is definitely LC9Z. I looked it up before I even went to a local shop to discuss colormatching my lowers back when I had that done. They used their own tools to get the closest match possible but as the guy above said, I'm pretty sure Z4Z4 is not the same thing.

dddrew.

blah.
That's what I thought but here's what the guy told me:

Bud@KefferVW said:
dddrew. said:
I also have one more question/concern. I own a 2009 MKV GTI. The color is Black Magic Pearl (LC9Z), which for some reason is not listed as one of the options on keffervw's site. I want to be clear that you guys have this color and will not paint it "Black Magic" which is Z4Z4. Please let me know, thanks.

Black Magic Pearl paint code is LC9Z. On the sales side, the exterior color code for Black Magic Pearl is Z4Z4. There is also a LC9X which is Deep Black Pearl and the sales code for that is 2T2T.

Why would they have 1 paint color name with 2 different codes?

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
I think you're under the correct assumption because when I went to buy touch up paint, the dealership had to match the color code to my VIN.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
That means they changed the color and kept calling it the same thing, not that its the same color.

What's your point? Just because two colors have the same name does not mean they have the same paint code. Based on the fact that they checked my VIN before ordering my touch up paint hints to the fact if there are 2 different shades of black magic, they have some way of distinguishing the 2 shades. Why else would they even bother checking my VIN?

I just realized how nerdy we are...

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
What's your point? Just because two colors have the same name does not mean they have the same paint code. Based on the fact that they checked my VIN before ordering my touch up paint hints to the fact if there are 2 different shades of black magic, they have some way of distinguishing the 2 shades. Why else would they even bother checking my VIN?

I just realized how nerdy we are...

lol not to mention u just said what I was trying to say.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
lol not to mention u just said what I was trying to say.

What the fuck are you talking about?

That means they changed the color and kept calling it the same thing, not that its the same color.

You pretty much said that they changed the color but kept the name the same. How is that even remotely close to what I said?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I had the blue pearl on my 2002 GTI. Pearl is not the same as metallic. Pearl are larger roundish pieces in the paint and metallic are smaller specks. I liked the pearl better - the paint seemed to change color depending on the light.

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI

dddrew.

blah.
I contacted my brother who's a chemist at PPG and he said that Z4Z4 got replaced by LC9Z because Z4Z4 could have different variants of black with tiny hints of blue, red, yellow, etc... even though it'd look identical to most. I placed an order and made it precise that the paint must be LC9Z and they told me they'd refund it if the color didn't match up. I'll give it a shot and have my brother take a look at it. If says it doesn't match up when it arrives i'm shipping it back.

Jojojayne

Car(s)
Mk5 gti golf
I contacted my brother who's a chemist at PPG and he said that Z4Z4 got replaced by LC9Z because Z4Z4 could have different variants of black with tiny hints of blue, red, yellow, etc... even though it'd look identical to most. I placed an order and made it precise that the paint must be LC9Z and they told me they'd refund it if the color didn't match up. I'll give it a shot and have my brother take a look at it. If says it doesn't match up when it arrives i'm shipping it back.
Hi. I know this is an old thread, but did you ever figure out if they were the same? I have a gti in z4z4 but looking to get a bonnet in lc9z , no one seems to know if these colours are the same lol

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion