GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is APR releasing an update for mk5 platform?

vagike

The reason I am asking is 'cause I'm getting sick and tired of my car having to reset its timing and boost maps with each tank of gas.

I believe the reason is the fuels around me have varying amounts of ethanol blended in up to a max of 10%, and the tune is not handling the changes very well.

If no update is in sight, I will be changing tunes.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
What does you getting shitty gas have to do with APR releasing an updated version of their tune?

vagike

Seeing that the US was legislating ethanol blending and E15 fuels before Canada, I would have figured that APR would have a solid tune and would have been a logical choice as parts of Canada begin to follow suit.

For the better part of the last year, as ethanol blended fuels roll out in western regions of canada, I have not been happy. I have been on here several times talking with members trying to figure out why my car hits full boost sometimes and other times only 4psi.

I have exhausted all mechanical options to try to explain this phenomenon (cam follower, plugs, CoP, o-ring gasket on the discharge pipe, n75, MAF, etc) just to datalog my car and see that is it specifying this low boost.

I have then emailed APR, hoping to get an answer, to datalog for them to analyze, and getting the silent treatment.

Have been Stage 2+ for 3 years and the last 8 months have been a nightmare. Just come on the forums hoping some body talks to APR on a more often basis than I do, just to have nit-wits like you two come on here saying 'it's shitty gas' and not APR is bullshit, and just infuriates and frustrates me even more because I know that whether it's Canada or United State; East Coast or West Coast, gasoline is all tested the to same ASTM standards!

I was once "PRO-" APR, but I am losing my patience!:mad:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Ready to race!
My stock NA 2.5 Jetta is picky about gas and doesn't run consistently from tank to tank...I can't even imagine what you modded turbo guys are going through.

Sent from ThunderbirdJunkie's mind via satellites

clearly APR's tune is perfect and this is your fault.

/GIAC here

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
I'm getting sick and tired of my car having to reset its timing and boost maps with each tank of gas.

lol

I believe the reason is the fuels around me have varying amounts of ethanol blended in up to a max of 10%.

There is ZERO chance E10 itself is causing boost/timing pull
a) 90% of the fuel is not ethanol
b) Ethanol has higher octane than gasoline and has no properties that would retard timing or boost which is why E85 (85% ethanol/15% gasoline) tuning has become popular
c) 90% of the fuel is not ethanol

In all seriousness NO TUNER changes their tunes for E10 nor do they need to. Your reaching...really reaching. Not that your fuel quality over the last 3 months has degraded but that 10% ethanol is the reason for it. They must be screwing something else up while blending it. Hell they may be PURPOSELY screwing the gas up as there are no shortage of ethanol detractors (thats 10% less gas being sold which equals billions of gallons).

nashbar

Ready to race!
Car(s)
b5s4, fz1 and mk5
ethanol is not to blame for folks cars running poorly. parts of the Midwest US are at e15-20 already and people here have gone as high as e25-35 with great results.

im no APR fanboy, im not even running their software nor have i ever.
the reason im saying its not APR is because IF what you're describing is from the software, then APR's managed to screw up ONLY your ecu software, although there are 1000's just like yours they decided to give you a special one, that will work for a while, then shit the bed....not likely(but i suppose it COULD happen)

now, have you logged load? requested, actual and corrected?? there is a overall load limiting map, and then a load limiter under constant knock. rule of thumb tho is to have the limiter under constant knock be just 15% less then the overall. most likely NOT all the way down to 4psi which = 280mbar which= around 2% load (req boost = load*10+300 in mbar)

thats why im thinking there is something else wrong here

Cumulonimbus

Ready to race!
This is definitely not fuel related.

You have a hardware issue - sounds like your wastegate is stuck / or on it's way out if you've already replaced those other common issue parts.

vagike

This is definitely not fuel related.

You have a hardware issue - sounds like your wastegate is stuck / or on it's way out if you've already replaced those other common issue parts.

Wastegate or N75? wouldn't be the first time I got a bunk sensor.

Cumulonimbus

Ready to race!
Wastegate or N75? wouldn't be the first time I got a bunk sensor.

I had a similar issue on my 08 and the roll pin on the wastegate arm was seizing / not moving smoothly - it caused me all kinds of intermittent boost issues which would come and go - sometimes id get max boost of 3-5psi other times I would get proper boost.

Then it finally seized and I could only get 3psi forever as the wastegate would not fully shut at the closed position.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
I agree that there's no way your fuel is limiting your boost to 4psi, AND... my experience is that my car runs much stronger with E10, not worse. I've experienced much better performance with U.S. gas over Canadian for precisely that reason. Canada's been much slower in adopting ethanol blends.