GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is a spring DIY worth it?

Heco94

Ready to race!
I've been wondering that .. I've come to the decision that it isn't the risk is to high I have no mechanical expirence ,and the risk of me destorying something and having to pay twice as much as it takes for a VW mechanice to install the springs

Does anyone know how much it costs for Vw to install these springs?

( VW Gear sport springs)

Last edited:

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
I've been wondering that .. I've come to the decision that it isn't the risk is to high I have no mechanical expirence ,and the risk of me destorying something and having to pay twice as much as it takes for a VW mechanice to install the springs

Does anyone know how much it costs for Vw to install these springs?

( VW Gear sport springs)

It's the dealer... a lot. Find someone local in ur area to help you. They're easy to do if u can rent a spring compressor. I know Sears will charge 225 to do it and includes alignment.

posted with my phone

Heco94

Ready to race!
hmm .. so your saying a local guy would be the best way to go .. It does seem that way .. the dealer is pricey and Sears isn't any better. I'll try and find a local guy.

easydubbin

every day i'm dubbin it
225 professionally installed is a steal with alignment included. my local garage wanted $640ish, hour for each back wheel, 2.5 for each front, all at $80 an hour and then an $80 alignment. this was after they told me i shouldn't ruin such a nice car by lowering it :rolleyes:

Heco94

Ready to race!
it accually is VW does it for 450 I hear I didn't know that sears did lowerings? I though they were only tires and oil changes .. That's great! 225 is a good price I don't think a local guy would do it for less..

utekineir

Banned
The rears are retarded simple. The fronts aren't as simple but still are far from hard. An alignment once they settle is a good idea. So is getting new axle bolts for the front (2) if you are going to remove them, it can be done without removing them, people go each way.

There used to be several diy's on vortex for doing springs/struts on the mkv, there probably still are and maybe there are some here.

Do you have tools? Nothing super special or expensive is really required, but there are a couple specific tools that can make the job easier. I prefer to spend money on tools I get to keep along with the learning experience and tackle things at home rather than pay someone and not have tools or the learning.

Heco94

Ready to race!
I have no tools I guess I should go to sears to do it .. just give them the springs and axle bolts and be done with it .. I don't really need the stress of doing something wrong and then paying 2x the money I would pay a pro to do it to fix the damn thing ... I think it's smarter ,and only like what .. $510 not to bad ..

BranCKY3

rubndub
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Honestly, find a local dubber to help you out. I've done two suspension installs on a MKV and it's really hard to screw it up... I put in my MKIV coilovers alone and it only took 6 hours.

mlowmk5

nothing rhymes w/ orange
Car(s)
2 dr CW
My local dealer charges $750 to install springs with an alignment. You may want to see if there are any local performance shops that will do it for cheaper. I know they are around 250-450 in my area.

itskv

APR Stage II+
wow, those prices are extremely high. The rears are the easiest part of them all. 4 bolts and its out. The fronts require a little more work but shouldnt be impossible. If you have the right tools it can be done DIY.

greg@podi.ca

Ready to race!
Finding someone local is your best bet. That way you can watch them do it, and even help when needed. It's a good way to take the afternoon and learn something new. Especially considering if you only change the springs, you'll be changing the shocks soon.

So to answer your question, yes, a spring DIY is def worth it :thumbsup: But with some experienced help.

Red-2009-GTI

Ready to race!
I guess I got a bargain when the local VW tuner shop put my Koni coilover in for $150. I watched and they took like 1.5 hours with the expert guy training a new guy (and checking his work). I had a front mount intercooler installed at the same time and they knocked that out in another hour and $100, tearing the front of the car off and everything! All done on a hoist. No problems in about 9 months now.

Heco94

Ready to race!
I only want to do a springs install on my car is becouse most likely 'm buying a rabbit .. If I some how find a GTI in my price range with the correct millage and a full record ... I wouldn't even mess around with the springs .. but I just think I can buy one with my bugget

I have 15k .. but thats taxes as well .. I think taxes in new york are around 8%-10% or something and it needs to have less than 55k miles ... what do you guys think can I afford a good GTI?

Moses

Go Kart Champion
My local dealer charges $750 to install springs with an alignment. You may want to see if there are any local performance shops that will do it for cheaper. I know they are around 250-450 in my area.

lmfao you got raped in the asshole with a flaming broomstick.

i got all that for $120 from an APR distributor.

hkswrxti

/black magic
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
Definitely find someone to do it for you with experience. If you don't have the experience/right tools to do the job, I wouldn't do it. I'm sure you could find someone on here to install them for you.