GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

INTERIOR - led map light issues

jtigga25

i purchased a set of led replacement bulbs for the map lights AND I CANT GET THE DRIVERS SIDE BULB TO LIGHT UP! I SWITCHED BULBS FROM THE RIGHT SIDE THAT IS WORKIN AND STILL NOTHING. WEIRD THING IS THAT IF I TWIST IN THE BULB IN THE opposite direction.... the bulb lights up. problem is that the leds are facing up, and not down -towards the interior cabin. im pullin my hair out with this. i dont know the fundamentals of circutry. frustrated, i even tried another set of leds (from leds) and the same issue. i dont understand why the left side goes on, and not the right map light. i put back my stock bulbs and they both light up. does anyone have any suggestions. please HELP!!!

xa3021

Ready to race!
I replaced my interior lights with LED's and had a similar issue, but I'm not really sure how I got it working. I was one of the strangest things I had seen. I took the drivers side map light out and put the LED light in, which wouldn't light up. So, I just took it out and flipped it around, but still wouldn't work. So, I tried the other side and it worked fine with the same exact LED. So, I placed the stock bulb back in the drivers side and it worked fine...So, I just kept trying the LED, flipping, switching, cussing, punching, flipping out, and finally buy an act of God, it finally came on. It must have to be in there just right, because I know there a bitch to get in, since there at a angel.

So, in short, just keep trying different things and flipping and stuff....it finally turned on for me.

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
sometimes its a polarity issue, and sometimes certain LEDs won't work for the interior depending on the make. and sometimes only oneside will work because both are attached to the same wiring. so you may need to switch to a different brand of LEDs for the interior.

Horus USAF

shhh Im thinkin......
Car(s)
06 GTI
Anyone try switching the map light color? could any led work as long as its right wattage? or is there a certain company that makes em besides vw parts?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
interior - front dome lights - bulb replacement

Anyone care to share the pictures on how to get access to change the bulbs to LEDs? TIA

Use a trim tool at the rear of the trim panel with the little grills
and pop the back edge free, panel will pivot on a front edge hinge.

After panel swings down the plastic hinge will release, set it aside.

Two T-20 Torx screws are now accesible, release them.
(They do not need to be completely removed)

After releasing the screws there are still clips holding the sub-assembly in place,
release clips, it will swing down at the back,
unplug console harness (and BT microphone if equipped)

and the whole assembly will come free.

Only US 2006, US early 2007, US r32 and ROW include a front center dome light (aftermarket LED festoon bulb installed in pic)

The two black plastic round pieces on the back (at the bototm corners of this picture)
are the sockets for the map lights - 1/4 turn twist to release socket / bulb assembly.

FYI The original bulbs are W5W wedge incandescent.

xa3021

Ready to race!
I just popped the clear plastic piece directly below the lights off and got a pair of needle nose and pulled them out...then I just pushed the led's into the socket. I had a little troble on the driver side but it started working...much easier than taking the whole top part off..

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
I just popped the clear plastic piece directly below the lights off and got a pair of needle nose and pulled them out...then I just pushed the led's into the socket. I had a little troble on the driver side but it started working...much easier than taking the whole top part off..

If you say so. :iono: I see the DIY on this forum indicates that method too.

The procedure I provided is the one outlined in the
Bentley Publishing Volkswagen a5g Factory Repair manual,
Volkswagen > GTI, Rabbit > 2006-2007 -
Electrical Equipment -- 96 - Headliner Lamps and Switches
Front Interior and Reading Lamps, Removing and Installing :wink:

Once you know how, you can drop the console in under two minutes - the trim panel,
2 screws, couple of clips and the wire harness all come off easily.

The assembly is not designed to have that lens removed,
so it requires a very deft touch to remove without damaging the thin plastic lens.
You are not going to buy just that lens if you damage it,
you will purchase an assembly that includes the lens.:eyebulge:

zap

Ready to race!
Use a trim tool at the rear of the trim panel with the little grills
and pop the back edge free, panel will pivot on a front edge hinge.

After panel swings down the plastic hinge will release, set it aside.

Two T-20 Torx screws are now accesible, release them.
(They do not need to be completely removed)

After releasing the screws there are still clips holding the sub-assembly in place,
release clips, it will swing down at the back,
unplug console harness (and BT microphone if equipped)

and the whole assembly will come free.

Only US 2006, US early 2007, US r32 and ROW include a front center dome light (aftermarket LED festoon bulb installed in pic)

The two black plastic round pieces on the back (at the bototm corners of this picture)
are the sockets for the map lights - 1/4 turn twist to release socket / bulb assembly.

FYI The original bulbs are W5W wedge incandescent.

COuld you also possibly show how to replace the sunglass holder? Am trying to learn piecemeal how to remove all these parts to take out the headliner.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
COuld you also possibly show how to replace the sunglass holder? Am trying to learn piecemeal how to remove all these parts to take out the headliner.

Normally the sun glass holder does not need to be removed to access lighting.
It is held in by friction, no fasteners. Use a trim stick to pry it free.
It is a bit tricky to get back in correctly, and if you don't, it will pop open over bumps, etc.
But once mine was seated properly it stopped doing that. :wink:

I didn't take any pictures when I reseated mine,
just popped it back in place with my hands while waiting for my wife in the grocery store.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
I took another look in the photo archive, I did pull the sunglass holder
when I was pulling new wires through the headliner for bluetooth microphone, auto dim mirror and rain / light sensor.
As you may be able to see, the sunglass holder can be removed without removing anything else.

07GTIcw

Passed Driver's Ed
Bump an old thread but I'm having some trouble finding the clips still holding the assembly in place after taking out the screws. Help would be appreciated :thumbsup: