GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
What do you think changed with it?

Most likely the fact that I started taking a closer look at IATs. It doesn't seem to cool below about 20 degF above ambient no matter the ambient temperature.
Also this little bit of trivia: ever since I went E30, I had the intercooler inlet hose come off twice. Either the boost is too much, either it wasn't connected properly, or there's blockage in the IC.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
Don't obsess over one test about one small aspect of overall performance. I did (and so did Bill) and about drove myself stupid(er). Pay attention to the delta between IATs and ambient which is the more important factor IMHO. It wasn't until I went EQT that I realized that mine does pretty damn good as there was more info in my logs that showed it performs well. At least with my tiny turbo. Anything bigger may (or may not) benefit from more volume that a direct fit may provide. Still, if that were the case, I'd go Baun FMIC for a bigger one. I believe there are some advantages to a front mount vs. direct fit, but it's a personal choice. Lots of decent product out there (including the NS ;)).

this, the neuspeed does a good job on IATs and the flow data seems to be overblown based on my own results of swapping intercoolers

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Most likely the fact that I started taking a closer look at IATs. It doesn't seem to cool below about 20 degF above ambient no matter the ambient temperature.
Also this little bit of trivia: ever since I went E30, I had the intercooler inlet hose come off twice. Either the boost is too much, either it wasn't connected properly, or there's blockage in the IC.

Yeah, ya might have something going on flow-wise. Been E30 (which helps with spool a tiny bit) on IS20 for a few years, EQT recently, and never had a hose pop off. Never had a WOT delta more than 14° above ambient even in this furnace of a summer. Can't remember every log, but didn't you have some with turbine actuator final number @ 100%? Could indicate a leak or something else impeding flow.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
stick with what you have. i did the exact same thing and spent all the time and money to swap my neuspeed is38 intercooler out for a fancy expensive and hard to install APR and picked up maybe 5-6whp on a 460whp setup. On your car that is maybe 300whp at most the difference between the two intercoolers is probably 1-2hp tops

Did the boost level change or remain the same between tunes?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
So how well do IC's works at 100+ degerees? Its 108 where I'm at. Friend in AZ said its 121.o_Oo_O

Would an air to water work better in extreme temps?

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
So how well do IC's works at 100+ degerees? Its 108 where I'm at. Friend in AZ said its 121.o_Oo_O

I find that my Majesty Twin does pretty good in hot temps. Most of my pulls and logs are done at night when the sun is set (while working), so I don't have any logs from 110+ days, but during a pull I will see anywhere from 2-15 above ambient, depending on the duration of the pull and what IATs were like just before. When stopped on deliveries my temps can go as high as 70-90 above ambient but they will drop down after just a few seconds of driving, generally cruising I see 20-40 above ambient if I am not in boost, but again drops super quick once I get on it.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yeah, ya might have something going on flow-wise. Been E30 (which helps with spool a tiny bit) on IS20 for a few years, EQT recently, and never had a hose pop off. Never had a WOT delta more than 14° above ambient even in this furnace of a summer. Can't remember every log, but didn't you have some with turbine actuator final number @ 100%? Could indicate a leak or something else impeding flow.

Yes, my wastegate duty is abnormally high.
I ran stage 2 without a problem before.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Sounds like you don't have an IC. An IC is even more helpful when the ambient temp is high.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

You might be thinking of my logs. I've got the same thing going on with EQT E30. Turbine actuator at 100% for much of the time and boost pressure between 1 and 2 psi below target. Iat higher than they probably should be vs ambient as well.

Seems something isn't quite right but aside from a cursory leak test where 30psi revealed nothing, I haven't done much investigation. It's too hot out to care yet.