GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Insurance

Brandon

Oval Newbie
Hey everyone,

I was going to hijack James' thread but then thought I may as well create a new one.

Anyway, I take delivery of my .:R in about 2 weeks so it's time to get insurance sorted. As some of you may know I'm knew to the country so I have no idea of who's good, who's bad and who's ugly. Any advice on who to go with and what sort of premiums to expect would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbup:

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
Haha well i'v had 1 phonecall from HBF in the past 3 weeks...

hope that helps...

AGRo

Ready to race!
Hiya Brandon, I ended up with NRMA full comprehensive cover as they were the cheapest yet offered the same features as the other companies I tried. They also included 2 years new for old replacement should my car be written off. It cost me $800.

MK005

Ready to race!
I am insuring my new Pirelli GTI tomorrow and almost went with AAMI for $620 I thought wow! why not! until I realised the no choice of repairer! and then read about numerous horror stories! now im am going to pay an additional $250 a year to have it through Shannons... thats if I dont find someone better on the net tonight or ring around tomorrow.

But I do recommend Shannons they've been great in the past, pay by the month no extra and only $500 excess for over 25's

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Hiya Brandon, I ended up with NRMA full comprehensive cover as they were the cheapest yet offered the same features as the other companies I tried. They also included 2 years new for old replacement should my car be written off. It cost me $800.

+1 they are cheaper than others for basically the same thing, and since Nov last year you can properly nominate your own repairer* without paying extra or having to tick a box.

One of the main ones are ok, Shannon's are too expensive and selective.

Just ring a few of them up for yourself is the best bet.

Oh, and avoid AAMI like the plague!

*I haven't tested this out personally.

AGRo

Ready to race!
I agree, Shannons wanted $1600! NRMA was half the price and also offered pay by month etc. I like being able to nominate my own repairer too. You can get online quotes from GIO, AAMI, Allianz, NRMA, Shannons. Have a go and see what's best for you :)

Brandon

Oval Newbie
Thanks guys! I now have some names to work with!

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
NRMA ok Shannons expensive...AAMI certainly has been ok for us after accident and have no issues with either.

Dingah

Brandon

Oval Newbie
Got a quote from SGIO for $789.98 for comprehensive excl. windscreen and car hire options. Sound fair?

AGRo

Ready to race!
Does that include new for old replacement if the car is written off? Did you try NRMA yet? Price seems ok, I'm guessing you're in your 30s too? That or you live in a crime free zone hehe :)

MK005

Ready to race!
Shannons must be expensive because your area and postcode, I live in a small suburb that is as safe as! i'd be surprised if I car has every been stolen there & Shannons are comparable to nearly every other insurer I have tried, the only cheap one was AAMI and that was for a reason.

Brandon

Oval Newbie
NRMA don't serve WA...they basically booted me to SGIO.

According to the insurance literature yes they will supply a new car:

New replacement vehicle
If your vehicle is considered by us to be a
total loss and we agree to pay your claim, you
can choose to have your vehicle replaced, if:
you have bought your vehicle new, or you
purchased a demonstrator vehicle, and
the vehicle is in the first 24 months of its
registration at the time of the incident, and
a replacement vehicle is available in
Australia which is of the same make,
model, engine size, equipment level and
paint type, and
we have agreement from any credit
provider noted on your current Certificate
of Insurance – if applicable, and
the vehicle has a tare weight of less than
2.5 tonnes.
we will:
replace your vehicle with a vehicle of the
same make, model, engine size, equipment
level and paint type
replace any modifications, options or
accessories
pay the first 12 months registration and
Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance,
if applicable, on the replacement vehicle.

I'm 26 and live in a crime free area (I think)...mind you, the entire country is crime free compared to South Africa.

I'll give Shannons a go as well and see what they can do for me.

MK005

Ready to race!
This is my experience as of tonight...

AAMI - $620 (no thanks)
RACV - $740 (dont know much about the policy, pay by the month an extra $60- $800)
Shannons- $840 (pay by the month no extra)
HBA - $1100 (with 10% disc for having private health cover... ? crazy pricey!)
Just Car - $1040
Allianz - $1070

Im just going to stick with Shannons for ease of insurance as my last car is with them and I have all the direct debit set up etc.

But as I said insurance varies HEAPS from suburb and state to state.

Good Luck!

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
How long is a piece of string... so many variables! Just stay away from AAMI if you can given all the horror stories!