GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installing a Capacitor...

Frank Rizzo

Trailingthrottleoversteer

sufu

if it's a D2 sub, it may be wired to 1 ohm...... your amp is not 1 ohm stable and could cause it to overheat and shut off.

plac

GTI Master
his amp isnt even stable at 2 ohms in bridged mode.. like 90% of all stereo amps.

Imadeit

Rookie Tuner
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
All this jargon has me lost, what do I need to do? New amp I am assuming if so can you give me an example of what I need to be looking for.

plac

GTI Master
All this jargon has me lost, what do I need to do? New amp I am assuming if so can you give me an example of what I need to be looking for.

no one will be able to confirm anything until you take out your sub and give us the exact model number on it.

or, hold a ohm meter across your speaker leads to determine your load.

Imadeit

Rookie Tuner
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Ok so I just pulled the sub and there is no information on the back of it. I do not have the box that it came in. It is a 4ohm dual voice coil sub w/ a peak of 900...the amp is 2ohms but it is bridged to the sub. Hopefully this paints a clearer picture.

Sidenote: should I sell the Cap, or could it still be of use.

plac

GTI Master
Ok so I just pulled the sub and there is no information on the back of it. I do not have the box that it came in. It is a 4ohm dual voice coil sub w/ a peak of 900...the amp is 2ohms but it is bridged to the sub. Hopefully this paints a clearer picture.

Sidenote: should I sell the Cap, or could it still be of use.

As long as you are positive about your dual 4 ohm... since the speaker has no labels..

then your setup is all wrong. You have the sub at 2 ohm final load. Your amp does NOT support 2 ohm when bridged. Thus you are putting in roughly twice the wattage your amp wants to, thus overheating. Your amp is trying to put out 1000Wrms at 2 ohm load and it cant.

2 options.

get a new sub, or get a mono single channel amp that can run at 2 ohms. cap is useless, just buy the proper items.

new sub would need to be a dual 2 ohm voice coil with a recommended RMS rating around 500Wrms.

or

new amp would need to be a mono amp rated around 500Wrms @ 2 ohm load.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Or run it at 8ohm mono and take a hit on the power output. It's not ideal but will keep the amp from overheating or exploding for now without spending and more cash.

Imadeit

Rookie Tuner
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Thanks guys, buying new sub is not an option. I love the sub...kicker solo baric :) So basically a two ohm w/ 500 rms should be easy enough to find.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Alpine MRP-M500. Great amp. Used it with an L5 12" myself and it hit plenty hard enough. I've since replaced the sub, because I'm more into SQ than SPL, but when it was fun for a bit when I had it in.

Imadeit

Rookie Tuner
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Thanks Darcness, that is what I was looking for. I am just trying to decide now if this is worth it to replace this or do performance mods...

plac

GTI Master
rewire it in series mode for now for the 8 ohm load. you will only be sending 250Wrms to the sub. but at least your amp wont overheat while you shop for something new.