GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Info for the "Carilliterate"

GTi Chooch

Ready to race!
TSI vs. FSI is apparently not an accurate way to designate our two engines....considering there is a TSI engine from Europe that is totally different that the TSI from the US.

Someone help me out here. what are the other acronyms that people use to distinguish?

O..and RS = "Reflex silver"

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
FSI-Fuel Stratisfied Injection
TSI-Turbo Stratisfied Injection(vw has not 100% specified yet)

Proper Engine Names:

FSI - BPY
TSI - CCTA

GTi Chooch

Ready to race!
I would like to make a motion that we STOP referring to the new motor as a TSI engine, despite the fact that it says "TSI" on the engine cover.

The term TSI was previously meant to refer only to the 1.4L TWIN CHARGED engine sold other countries.

The revised 2.0T FSI motor is NOT a TSI engine as the term was originally intended. "T" standing for twin-charged.

It is still an FSI system.

The only major differences from the BPY FSI engine are the timing chain instead of a belt, a revised fuel pump, and a different intake flapper setup. Those changes should not warrant changing the name of the motor to "TSI", which only confuses people who know what the original TSI engine is.

I vote that we refer to the two distinct FSI motors by their engine codes alone (BPY and CCTA) just as people do in the 1.8T world (AWW, AWD and AWP), or that they be referred to a "timing belt FSI" or "timing chain FSI".

Found a good quote by Mike@forge explaining why we shouldn't refer to it as the TSI engine....

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
Originally Posted by Mike@Forge
I would like to make a motion that we STOP referring to the new motor as a TSI engine, despite the fact that it says "TSI" on the engine cover.

The term TSI was previously meant to refer only to the 1.4L TWIN CHARGED engine sold other countries.

The revised 2.0T FSI motor is NOT a TSI engine as the term was originally intended. "T" standing for twin-charged.

It is still an FSI system.

The only major differences from the BPY FSI engine are the timing chain instead of a belt, a revised fuel pump, and a different intake flapper setup. Those changes should not warrant changing the name of the motor to "TSI", which only confuses people who know what the original TSI engine is.

I vote that we refer to the two distinct FSI motors by their engine codes alone (BPY and CCTA) just as people do in the 1.8T world (AWW, AWD and AWP), or that they be referred to a "timing belt FSI" or "timing chain FSI".

I agree with everything he said except that we now know that's not accurate information. The BPY and CCTA are quite different motors and have almost completely different internals.

Last edited:

Marky-Mark007

Stig's American Brother
Car(s)
2007 Black Magic GTI
I say yeah, its way easier to distinguish using BPY and CCTA. Let's start using that terminology everywhere on these forums.:thumbsup:

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
I think CF was intended to be Carbon Fiber (not a VW color so to speak, but parts like valences and Spoilers are available in CF)

Yea, I should have separated it from the VW colors to avoid confusion.
Just included it since it's used pretty often. :thumbsup:

Housetek

Ready to race!
vag=? sorry im totally new to the vw world

Marky-Mark007

Stig's American Brother
Car(s)
2007 Black Magic GTI
vag=? sorry im totally new to the vw world

VAG stands for Volkswagen Audi Group.
It can also be expanded to Volkswagen Audi Group In North America.:lol:

NorthernDubber

Ready to race!
^ I don't think thats 100% right ... I think it has something to do with the engine management? If I'm not correct, I believe the early model VW's weren't referred to as VAG ... can anyone confirm or correct that?

Marky-Mark007

Stig's American Brother
Car(s)
2007 Black Magic GTI
^ I don't think thats 100% right ... I think it has something to do with the engine management? If I'm not correct, I believe the early model VW's weren't referred to as VAG ... can anyone confirm or correct that?

Early model as in? Cause Volkswagen and Audi weren't always owned by the same people. I don't think that it has anything to do with engine management, I've often heard VAG as a substitute for OEM. Could you be thinking of this because the VAG-Com lets you edit settings for the ECU and take logs from the ECU?