GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In-tank fuel pump, in basket, swap help...

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Got the replacement pump swapped into the basket today. I didn't see anything wrong with the first install. I pressure tested the retention valve inside the supposed failed pump before I removed it. I attached to the pump outlet on top and pressurized it to check the retention valve and also so to check for leaks in the tubing. The pressure held...so it could be the 1st pump itself failed. I still need to look at data with the replacement I just installed to be sure but that will be done in a day or two.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
No problems with mine so far. After a drive home from work yesterday (~10 miles) the rev. J controller was just slightly warm to the touch.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
No problems with mine so far. After a drive home from work yesterday (~10 miles) the rev. J controller was just slightly warm to the touch.
That's Good. I did the first full throttle pull in mine today with the 2nd Quantum and it does the same thing...it codes P301b "pressure too low." Not only that, when I first began the pull it went to 30 psi boost so I let off the throttle. Then it wouldn't go past 5 psi boost. Now it is smoking from the exhaust. I only took it in for all the new stuff to be installed just so everything is refreshed...not that it ran poorly or anything. I replaced the lpfp with the 1st Quantum and had the shop replace the thermostat, injectors, and oil filter housing and now it won't even run like it did before all this. I am taking mine into the shop to say, Fix it! going to test the pressure and bleed-back. Ordered a new oem lpfp in case needed. I've already tried two G410's, two pump control modules, and the two Quantums. I suspect the Quantums most of all.

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
OK, I have some results to report. It seems I skipped a step that may or may not affect the performance of a newly installed pump. That step being;
9 – reinstall the assembly into the fuel tank and attach a length of hose to the outlet of the pump assembly allowing it to drain into a fuel safe container and prime the fuel pump assembly.

After pressure testing everything with an incorrect gauge (explain in a moment) and replacing the G410 and the fuel filter, nothing changed as it continued to run poorly. Then after swapping the fuel pressure gauge because the new one was only working as a compression tester would in showing the peak pressure and not the live "up and down" pressure...we found a gauge that wouldn't stick at its peak pressure. My tech went for a drive and it had somehow fixed itself. Leaving me to believe it had a sort of "vapor lock" in the system so to speak, due to me not priming it upon installation. My tech, when he got back, said "I don't know how but it runs like a raped ape now."

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Today I gave it full throttle after I was told Friday it was running fine...because it somehow fixed itself.

I used vcds because I wanted to see exactly how it all was.
First full throttle pull it ran great. I pulled over to see the data and all looked fine as well.
Decided to keep going and head in to town. I floored it again and all was fine.
Almost to town now, so I floored it one more time and it was back to running $#!@tty.
Has the same Pp310B code. Luckily, the dealer had the new oem lpfp I ordered but had passed on because they said it was running fine. So I bought it, came home and installed it and it runs great!

No Quantum again for me, ever!

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
What's the part number on that new pump? Too bad the Quantum didn't work out. I may run into the same issue...

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
It's the DB; or 1K0 919 051 DB

Dude, the tech told me Friday it works...today it did two full throttle pulls just fine. The third one though, it just went right back to FAIL!

I installed the new oem...primed it a few times...ran it a bit...did adaptation...drove it and it pulls great...over and over!

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Today, Quantum said both pumps I returned tested OK and they refunded me. I do not see how they test OK yet cannot produce more than 1.2 bar under full load. Oh well, at least it is through and done.