GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In-tank fuel pump, in basket, swap help...

jacques1397

Other than the TB-PM3 there's the RS4 control module from USP or APR...but they too are expensive and require tuning to utilize them where the PM3 does not. You won't get the most from your upgraded LPFP without feeding it more amps.

But a new walbro pump will perform at oem amperage and should still work as long as it keeps actual pressure on the low side equal to the target. If it isn't...just add a new oem controller.
Thanks man. Yes makes perfect sense. If it can just supply pressure required by the ECU I am happy. Just not drop too much

If my current controller is cold, I had a sneak peak of the power it can deliver and damn I am excited.

Replacing the controller with OEM one for testing and hope it works. Soon to be updated.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Damiang767

Just did the K04 conversion in my mkv gti. Ordered the dw 65v lpfp and when I put it in, car drives for about 2 minutes and shuts off. Made sure to put the Orings in the correct place too. So I put the stock lpfp back in and now I have a fuel pressure regulator code. Checked the cam follower and it’s all good, I recently replaced all the sensors, upgraded the hpfp and changed the fuel filter. Thinking it could be the lpfp control module. Also once I go wot, it starts to break up after around 20 psi. Anyone else having a problem like this?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Not having any problem such as that, but a fuel pressure regulator code is the black portion on top of the hpfp. Is that new? Is it cracked? Old? What was the code?

This is the fuel pressure regulator:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
It's been awhile, but I am nearing the install of the upgrade into the basket. I am not going to install the TTRS that I removed from its basket...didn't want to make that work when it obviously isn't a direct swap. The Quantum should drop right in as I do have the original oem basket in the tank right now. This will be helpful;

I did decide on the Quantum 265L/hr because of test results compared to the DW65v which shows the Quantum pumps more at less amps and it has a lifetime warranty where DW is just 3 years.

DW - left.....Quantum - right
1dw65v.png

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Today I did the thing...and got the Quantum 265 L/hr pump installed into the oem basket. It was as easy as I thought it would be. A few tips I would recommend is;
1) place the new smaller o-ring onto the lip down in the basket rather than inside the bottom opening of the pump just before inserting the new pump back into the basket. I saw this tip on another vid and it worked very well.
2) remove the mesh screen first thing and use the opening on the screen to align the positioning of the new pump when dropping into the basket. Check the new pump's position when you have felt it snap onto the smaller o-ring( ↑ as shown in the vid)...then the pump can be rotated so the small port on its bottom is aligned to receive the mesh screen upon reattachment.
3) I used a heat gun on low to warm both ends of the new tubing, one end at a time of course, so they would slide on easier. I know this may sound dangerous but going to say it anyway, when warming one end prior to pushing it into place...place your thumb near the end of the tubing so to know you are not overheating the tubing. If you can stand the heat on your thumb, you are not overheating it. When the tubing is warm, it will slide on much easier. A Quantum tech gave me this tip and I am happy he did because when checking the tightness prior to heating, I could see how one may end up breaking one of the ports the tube connects to.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Today the Quantum may have just died after just one month. Driving normal it's fine. But when I floored it, it popped and backfired and there was no power. Checking the pressure with it parked on vcds it looks fine...just like when driving normally. Actual low pressure stays right with the target. Under load it dives very low.

Codes were P310B and P0087. Ran the data and the low target was 5.8 and at about 3k rpm, the actual was already dropping below target and continued to drop to 1.3 bar by 6k rpm...causing the high pressure to drop into the 30 bar range.

Tomorrow I am hooking up a gauge to check actual gauge pressure. Already called Quantum and they are sending me another pump. Not sure how often I want to go through this with their lifetime warranty. Today I learned Quantum sends a free pump out with no questions asked and no charge if failure is under 90 days. But they charge shipping, maybe handling too, for warranty beyond the 90 days.

I'll update more when more is learned.

Last edited:

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
I haven't had a chance to drop mine into the car (tank too full). Curious if this was just a fluke or what's to be expected for this particular pump.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Right, I too have been thinking the same. Even been searching for reviews of it on any other forums. Only things I am seeing up to now is places selling them or my own posts on google search. I'll let you know if I find any. I'm in the middle right now of whether to be done with them or if the next does last...then I would be OK with them. I mean they only heard my story; car popped and nose dived and then the data showed...and he said he was sending me another, no problem. I got the email notification that it was shipped w/tracking info right away...so, we'll see.

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Decided not to hook it up to a gauge. There's no reason for it. It is obvious the pump had quit. With the low pressure showing to be dropping to 1.3 bar as well as the high pressure dropping to 30 bar...there's just no reason to believe the low pressure sensor may have failed. It is definitely a loss of delivery from the Quantum. Also, I don't think it can be a failed filter regulator because it holds the low target until I floor it and load is applied. Then, after I let off the throttle the low pressure actual jumps to 7.5 bar. And this says the regulator isn't always feeding the fuel back to the tank. So, going to wait on the replacement Quantum and install it when it arrives.

If this next one fails quickly, or at at any point really, I am just going to get a new oem pump and remove the PM3. My GIAC K04 H.O. tune works without a LPFP upgrade or the PM3. I only added the pump upgrade and PM3 because of the time I ran the DM tune. Everything was perfect with the original GIAC tune with the oem pump prior to trying the DM tune.

DM tune was a bust in every way. He tuned it to run open-looped; high rail pressure(142.50 bar), high low pressure(5.5 bar), high boost(26 - 30 psi), and it never beat the 1/4m et of the giac tune...never even got within 0.5s. So, it cost me $700 for the DM tune, $600 for a USP High Flow LPFP($100 more than the TTRS), $500± for the PM3, $150 for Techtonics to retune it to stock and then to reload the GIAC when I was done with DM's tune, plus the 3 bar MAP sensor. In addition, and before all the fuel related bits mentioned ↑ ...he first requested I replace the low and high pressure sensors when the pressures weren't reaching what he wanted to see. So about a $2k+ loss. Then there was the rebuild at 120k miles due to the piston ring that got stuck in the #4 piston. So, another $3k for the rebuild at just 120k miles. Total loss for trying the Driver Motorsport K04+ tune was $5k+. This is what I imagine it is like when one seeks to squeeze out every bit of HP from a big turbo build with custom tuning. I just want the car to run really well now.

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
You don't think the DW65v would be worth looking into as an alternative to the Quantum?
Only if lpfp actual with a good to new oem lpfp cannot maintain target pressure per one's tune. I can't say in general because every tune and set-up differs, right? After trying just one Quantum...I'd say DW65v may be a better choice of an upgrade. The jury is still out on the Quantum...people keep saying "it may have just been a bad pump. Wait to see if the replacement is better." It does have the lifetime warranty, but I am not going to continue if I need to rebuild the lpfp every month or so. I installed it April 14 and it lasted 3 weeks and a day with me only driving maybe twice a week.

Just saying mine always managed on the GIAC tune, with its oem pump, before trying the DM tune.So for me any lpfp upgrade is not needed. Mine just needs a good oem pump. If the next Quantum takes a dump and they send a third...I may try it alone with the PM3 disconnected to see if the PM3 may have been feeding an amount of amps that the Quantum just cannot handle. This is a theory bouncing around in my head right now.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
You don't think the DW65v would be worth looking into as an alternative to the Quantum?
Yeah, I'm sure it is. It cost 3x more with a 3yr warranty. But yes, more dub volk probably use it more often.
You have the Quantum already, and do you have a PM3? I am curious to hear what your experience is as time goes on. So will you report how it goes?

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
You have the Quantum already, and do you have a PM3? I am curious to hear what your experience is as time goes on. So will you report how it goes?

I'm using the latest revision OEM controller. Going to see if I can do the swap once I get to 3/4 a tank (close). Will make a mess otherwise. Haven't been driving much since I'm working from home and because of DSG problems.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I'm using the latest revision OEM controller. Going to see if I can do the swap once I get to 3/4 a tank (close). Will make a mess otherwise. Haven't been driving much since I'm working from home and because of DSG problems.
That's right, the "H" revision IIRC. It should be fine. So, hang on for a bit until I remove and inspect mine by mid next week. I may find something interesting or I might have tips for you if anything odd is found.

I just spoke with Martin at Quantum. I wanted to know what is the max amps the quantum can take because of my suspicions of the PM3. Telling him my pump & PWM is on a 15 amp circuit but the PM3 can go as high as 36 amps..."if needed". I don't believe it would ever do so with my set-up and tune given I didn't need the PM3 with the GIAC previously. He only replied it should work up to the 15 amps...so he doesn't know the product thoroughly. I am tempted to use the next Quantum without the PM3 connected and just sell the PM3 later on. But we'll see. Depends on the inspection of the current pump and connections. Then a test of it hooked to a battery.

Last edited: