GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Importing a vehicle from the US

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
The question people need to ask themselves is not how the Cndn dollar compares with the dropping US dollar, but how our dollar compares to the Euro and the Peso. Our cars are built in Mexico (Golf, Jetta City, Beetle), Brazil (MKV Jetta) and Germany (GTI, Rabbit, Passat). How does the dropping US dollar affect how the Cndn dollar compares to the euro or the peso? It doesn't. We have no cars built in the US so their dropping dollar won't directly affect us. Auto Analyst Dennis DesRosiers said that, "The correst price for a vehicle is what the consumer will pay for it in Canada, not what a consumer will pay in another country." Record sales of new cars in Canada is proof that new cars in Canada are not overpriced. The reason that Porsche has dropped prices is because the have the margin to do so! VW doesn't. There's an average of $1100 markup on a Rabbit or City model. Not a lot when the average markup on a Ford/GM pickup is $15,000!!! Buyers interest in importing a car to Canada needs to pay RIV fees (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) $195 plus tax. Plus the cost of any modifications necessary, such as adding daytime running lights, 8km/h bumpers and a child tether anchor.

I touched on this in my post, and the US dollar has fallen in relation to the Euro, so I guess the point is the prices should be going up in the US, not down in Canada (not that I don't want them to).

Raz

Passed Driver's Ed
I touched on this in my post, and the US dollar has fallen in relation to the Euro, so I guess the point is the prices should be going up in the US, not down in Canada (not that I don't want them to).

Unfortunately, you're right. But raise prices for things in the states, sit back and watch the bitching ensue! LOL!!

Matty

2008 GTI on order

I ordered a 2008 GTI 3 months ago from a US dealer, and now I find out that the car is Inadmissible to Canada, I'm kinda shocked and dissapointed, as these so called safety issues with the bumper and the lowered ride height is minimal, basically the 2008 is the same as the 2007 GTI. Looks like I will have to go for the A3 or try and get a fully loaded 2007.

AudiRS4

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Matty, to be honest, the best version was the fully loaded 2007, had Dual Zone Auto, Air Diffuser (Same as the now 08 Canadian version), plus headlight washers (earlier 07 Production Model). You'll probably get a good deal on it too. Mine has the headlight washers plus launch control, I'm tempted to replace the GTI logo on my steering wheeling and put it serial number just like the Farenheight.

another_nogn

And so you should have, today the Canadian $ is 0.7079 compared to the Euro, the US $ is 0.7026 compared to the Euro and it been close to this over the past few months. Any and all vehicles imported to either country from Europe have been costing the importers about the same, save a bit of variances. The benefits are being horded by the importers or their dealers and not passed onto the consumer.

Another data point confirming Canadians are being ripped off by VW.

Matty

AudiRS4

I have contacted the dealer to look for a 2007 with the specs that I wanted, hopefully it works out and maybe I can save some money. If not, I will be try to get a 2008 A3, the next logical choice. It just sucks after three months of waiting, the car I ordered is due to arrive on November 19. Dam Canadian import laws.

Matt

AudiRS4

Passed Driver's Ed
After all said and done, my car costed $37, 381.53 canadian (GST, DUTY, AC Tax, Inspection Fee, RIV Fee, gas and food). That was when the exchange rate was at 0.90 for the Canadian dollar. I got the full load
4-door, Red, Vortex Body Kit, 18" HUFFS, Package 2(Dual Zone Auto climate control and Leatherette seating). They also threw in GTI monster mats and the gorilla trunkliner

SiR001

Updated RIV list today:

2008 GTI and R32 (no suprise) is inadmissable
2006 to 2008 GLI is inadmissable

everthing else is ok.

I got them to update the list, emailed them tellling them the Toyotas and Subaru's were updated and why weren't the 2008's...crappy, now I gotta find a 2007 in the states, oh well. Might get a 2.0T Jetta and load it up instead (insurance is cheaper too)

thanks for the PM :)

Vento 3

Oettinger GLi
After all said and done, my car costed $37, 381.53 canadian (GST, DUTY, AC Tax, Inspection Fee, RIV Fee, gas and food). That was when the exchange rate was at 0.90 for the Canadian dollar. I got the full load
4-door, Red, Vortex Body Kit, 18" HUFFS, Package 2(Dual Zone Auto climate control and Leatherette seating). They also threw in GTI monster mats and the gorilla trunkliner

Thanks for your reply.
that doesn't sound too good, but i understand you got the vortexkit, pretty much fully loaded, and bought @ $0.9
but how much is the car itself in USD before you cross the boarder?

AudiRS4

Passed Driver's Ed
car itself was $30,050 US, this was because they had to ship the car from UTAH, it really sucks when the dealer didn't have it on their own lot or else they were willing to sell it for $28,850.00. I also didn't get the color I wanted because there were only 4 available in whole North America with that configuration, but Red isn't too bad.

zither99

amateur auto-x'er
thanks for the reply.....
atleast you got climatcontrol :thumbup:
still good price for such equipment.

Thanks again for sharing :thumbsup:

You guys should check out ebay for some used cars, you can get a 2005 AUDI S4 for around the same kind of money as a new fully loaded GTI, it's really something to think about... I am thinking hard...