GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm back from the Navy, and earlier than I wanted to be...

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
Long story short, I was Medically Separated (General Discharge) from the USN for Tachycardia (High Heart Rate)... My resting heart rate is around 110 bpm, and they wanted a walking HR around 90. My long time Cardiologist adv me that this was normal for me due to the surgery I had as an infant, but the Navy didn't care what he had to say and wanted to be safe than sorry. I made it to boot camp, and made it one month out of two, but they didn't want to, And I Quote, "Have to pay my wife the Life insurance if I dropped dead on my PFAs"... Oh well. Maybe it is a sign from above that someone is looking out for my health.

Well, I guess it is on to plan B... Get my CDL Class A!

Anyone on here know of any Good companies that also cover the classes for the CDL?

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
Brah, a resting heart rate of 110 is not "normal" even if you had a surgery as an infant. I'd go see another cardiologist that isnt a moron. Sure it wont cause you any major issues, but when they start beating your ass in boot camp you could easily spike into the 190-200's that aint good.

Merkle

Banned
Long story short, I was Medically Separated (General Discharge) from the USN for Tachycardia (High Heart Rate)... My resting heart rate is around 110 bpm, and they wanted a walking HR around 90. My long time Cardiologist adv me that this was normal for me due to the surgery I had as an infant, but the Navy didn't care what he had to say and wanted to be safe than sorry. I made it to boot camp, and made it one month out of two, but they didn't want to, And I Quote, "Have to pay my wife the Life insurance if I dropped dead on my PFAs"... Oh well. Maybe it is a sign from above that someone is looking out for my health.

Well, I guess it is on to plan B... Get my CDL Class A!

Anyone on here know of any Good companies that also cover the classes for the CDL?

Swift

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
Brah, a resting heart rate of 110 is not "normal" even if you had a surgery as an infant. I'd go see another cardiologist that isnt a moron. Sure it wont cause you any major issues, but when they start beating your ass in boot camp you could easily spike into the 190-200's that aint good.

I understand your thought there, but tell that to the University of Florida Professor of Cardiology, Surgeon, and 40 year veteran of his career. The surgery I had was because of what is called a CoArctation of the Aorta. And due to that, it raised my heart rate. My Cardiologist is actually afraid of putting me on meds to lower it, thinking it might do more harm than good.

I also consulted three other cardiologist (one of which was a Navy Doc) and they all said the same thing as MY cardiologist... So, pretty much, military is not for me... Which Sucks.

------------------------------------------------

Just applied for Swift, I seen they had operations out of FL which is great. Hopefully I get the job. In the mean time, I should be able to get my old job back since I left on good terms.

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
I understand your thought there, but tell that to the University of Florida Professor of Cardiology, Surgeon, and 40 year veteran of his career. The surgery I had was because of what is called a CoArctation of the Aorta. And due to that, it raised my heart rate. My Cardiologist is actually afraid of putting me on meds to lower it, thinking it might do more harm than good.

I also consulted three other cardiologist (one of which was a Navy Doc) and they all said the same thing as MY cardiologist... So, pretty much, military is not for me... Which Sucks.

------------------------------------------------

Just applied for Swift, I seen they had operations out of FL which is great. Hopefully I get the job. In the mean time, I should be able to get my old job back since I left on good terms.
You got luck my man. The Navy sucks. I was in for 4 years and pretty much hated my life, but then again my command was fucking retarded. I was in the Ceremonial Guard in DC, basically just glorified lawn ornaments.

I couldnt take the group punishment because one person was a retard. Some dude hooks his pick up truck to the back door of the barracks and rips the door off. We all get punished for his dumbass, we had to have a watch in the Barracks from them on.

Just random petty shit they would pull to make our lives miserable, like scraping excess wax of the floor for 8 hours because the watch commander was in a bad mood.

Someone shows up with a dirty uniform... 5am uniform inspections for the entire command of 200 people. The military is fucking retarded, you lucked out.

Like I said, I did my 4 years, kept me head down, never made a fuss, but the day I separated I packed my shit, took the Metro to the airport and never looked back. Got my college paid for but man it was SO not worth it.

I'd like to clarify, I'm bitter because of one command, my last 2 years I spent doing clerical work at NNMC, I loved it, but I knew there was a chance that if I reenlisted I might end up at another bullshit command like my first. I NOPE'd the fuck out of there ASAP.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2011 VW GTI
well yeah boot camp is tough if you're not used to physical fitness but for most people they adapt to it through continuous training. its too bad you couldn't have kept going.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2012 GTI, Sun/Nav
Sorry to hear that, bro. I'm kinda surprised they didn't catch that at MEPS. My resting heart rate used to be 55...when I was in amazing shape...which I'm not anymore...

The military is fucking retarded, you lucked out.

There are stupid bosses and horrible jobs everywhere. Actually switch that around and one of them is a movie. Anyway, don't base your opinion of the military off of one person's bad experience. My first 3 years sucked ass...but were kinda fun too. I told myself I'd never reenlist, but I eventually did and though there have been rough times here and there, I have had a generally good experience. Sure, you might end up having a dickhead boss and yes mass punishment is fucking retarded but there are good things to be learned. I'm an E-5 so don't give me the "oh you're a lifer" bullshit...I haven't got my rocker yet.

Last edited:

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Holy crap 110 resting is a lot, not surprised they said no. Do you do any kind of regular cardio? You might be able to strengthen things at least a little bit over time, if not for the military then for your own long term health. When I starting running regularly, mine went from 70 down to 50 over the course of 6 months.

McQueen77

Banned
Jesus man that is an insanely high resting heart rate. You don't have long to live.

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to hear that, bro. I'm kinda surprised they didn't catch that at MEPS. My resting heart rate used to be 55...when I was in amazing shape...which I'm not anymore...

There are stupid bosses and horrible jobs everywhere. Actually switch that around and one of them is a movie. Anyway, don't base your opinion of the military off of one person's bad experience. My first 3 years sucked ass...but were kinda fun too. I told myself I'd never reenlist, but I eventually did and though there have been rough times here and there, I have had a generally good experience. Sure, you might end up having a dickhead boss and yes mass punishment is fucking retarded but there are good things to be learned. I'm an E-5 so don't give me the "oh you're a lifer" bullshit...I haven't got my rocker yet.
Fuck that, Yea there's horrible bosses in the civilian world, but guess what? I can fucking quit if I want to. You're opinion is retarded.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
You got luck my man. The Navy sucks. I was in for 4 years and pretty much hated my life, but then again my command was fucking retarded. I was in the Ceremonial Guard in DC, basically just glorified lawn ornaments.
My dad spent 27 years in the Navy and loved it, reminisces wistfully about it all the time.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2011 VW GTI

I couldnt take the group punishment because one person was a retard. Some dude hooks his pick up truck to the back door of the barracks and rips the door off. We all get punished for his dumbass, we had to have a watch in the Barracks from them on.

Just random petty shit they would pull to make our lives miserable, like scraping excess wax of the floor for 8 hours because the watch commander was in a bad mood.

Someone shows up with a dirty uniform... 5am uniform inspections for the entire command of 200 people. The military is fucking retarded, you lucked out.

Like I said, I did my 4 years, kept me head down, never made a fuss, but the day I separated I packed my shit, took the Metro to the airport and never looked back. Got my college paid for but man it was SO not worth it.

I'd like to clarify, I'm bitter because of one command, my last 2 years I spent doing clerical work at NNMC, I loved it, but I knew there was a chance that if I reenlisted I might end up at another bullshit command like my first. I NOPE'd the fuck out of there ASAP.

yup yup, nothing makes sense in the military. lots of bs for some things. but on the other hand if you surround yourself with cool people then its ok. you cant always pick who you work with either. im just staying in for the money. i dont like the entire part of my job but its ok. i guess i dont know what its like in the other branches though.