GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ignorant friends

dbest6808

Ready to race!
Not starting a debate between transmissions, so I don’t want this thread to go there. Its been done enough. I'm just really getting annoyed with my buddies that they cannot grasp the idea that the DSG is not a conventional auto.
Another friend of mine has a GTI 6speedManual. Every ones like man your car cannot be as fast because you have an automatic, you should have gotten a manual your sacrificing performance etc. I've tried explaining but no one can grasp it.
Anyone experience this type of thing?

theunderlord

Ready to race!
People are dumb. It's hard for them to realize it.

Help them learn: Clicky

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
i regret not getting dsg, sometimes in spirited driving i try to shift fast while in a bend or in high rpm's and will occasionaly grind a gear or miss a shift which slows me down and hurts the car. its true that dsg is faster. and i hate launching the car off the line with the manual so that slows me down off the line. so how is it when ur in a corner and you need to shift the dsg with the paddles? have u ever hit the wrong paddle?

t'sGTI

Go Kart Champion
Your friends are behind the times.
Fact is a DSG transmission and all of the other similar
transmissions now on the market will almost always be faster
than a traditional manual. So in effect you are sacrificing performance
when you get a manual and not the other way around.

That said, I have a manual not because of speed but because I think
it is more involving and I enjoy it.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Tell your friends they are idiots if they do not know what a Dual Clutch transmission is.

we bought my wife a 2009 GTI 4 Door DSG a month ago; within a week she was asking me what exactly the DSG was because (and I quote her) "This thing doesn't drive like an automatic"

If my non-car literate wife can figure it out within 14 days then what does that make your friends...? :thumbsup:

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
There's a very good YouTube video of professional drivers comparing the 6-speed vs. the DSG in the VW GTI MKV. The transmissions are largely unchanged except for perhaps the clutch in the MK6. That should not affect shift speed though, especially in a stock GTI.

In the video, the DSG wins every single time, even with the extremely quick shifts of the professional drivers in the manual-equipped car. They have in-car cameras that show the drivers shifting. That video should be all the evidence your ignorant friends need. I would try to look it up now, but I'm at work and YouTube is blocked. :( It's a video with some relatively popular Japanese drivers though.

Now, if they want to debate whether manual is more fun to drive than DSG, then perhaps they have some ground to stand on. But if you're talking pure performance and speed, there's not really anything out there that's faster for shifting than an electronically-controlled gearbox, whether it be single-clutch or dual-clutch (in the case of our cars).

Lastly, the DSG is not a conventional automatic transmission. It does not have a toque converter. It has two electronically-controlled clutches. It is a hybrid between a manual and an automatic. Manual in that it uses clutches, automatic in that it can shift by itself without driver input (though it does offer the choice, just without a clutch pedal.... have fun doing that with two clutches!).

TDI110

O_o
I don't give a shit what friends think about the transmission I got with my car. In all honesty why should they care, they'll never drive it anyway.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Agreed with many others on the facts, as well as my preference for the MT. That said, plenty of tests out there that show the DSG is faster than the MT. Same goes for PDK with Porsche too.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
the ferrari enzo for example, when the paddle is pulled it disengages the clutch, orders up a burst of power from the engine to sustain the revs during the change and firms up the rear suspension to prevent the car from squatting down and then it selects a new gear and re-engages the clutch and it does it all in 40 milliseconds. it sounds amazing to me. i cant shift that fast with any manual.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
yep, F1 technology is awesome - and even better when you are on a track. For me, I prefer the MT, but this shit comes from the highest technology advanced motorsport in the world, so they know whats up and its getting better and better. For daily driving, i think it can be nice in traffic, but for me, to have fun I'd rather have the MT.

shappy

Passed Driver's Ed
There's a very good YouTube video of professional drivers comparing the 6-speed vs. the DSG in the VW GTI MKV. The transmissions are largely unchanged except for perhaps the clutch in the MK6. That should not affect shift speed though, especially in a stock GTI.

In the video, the DSG wins every single time, even with the extremely quick shifts of the professional drivers in the manual-equipped car. They have in-car cameras that show the drivers shifting. That video should be all the evidence your ignorant friends need. I would try to look it up now, but I'm at work and YouTube is blocked. :( It's a video with some relatively popular Japanese drivers though.

Now, if they want to debate whether manual is more fun to drive than DSG, then perhaps they have some ground to stand on. But if you're talking pure performance and speed, there's not really anything out there that's faster for shifting than an electronically-controlled gearbox, whether it be single-clutch or dual-clutch (in the case of our cars).

Lastly, the DSG is not a conventional automatic transmission. It does not have a toque converter. It has two electronically-controlled clutches. It is a hybrid between a manual and an automatic. Manual in that it uses clutches, automatic in that it can shift by itself without driver input (though it does offer the choice, just without a clutch pedal.... have fun doing that with two clutches!).

Here is the video: http://youtu.be/X4HpD5K6Qws

I would still rather row my own gears, but DSG is no doubt very impressive.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
I like both. But you are right that most people don't have a clue what a DSG, PDK, or what every other marketing name has been given. You try and explain it and they look at you like you are from a different planet.

dbest6808

Ready to race!
i regret not getting dsg, sometimes in spirited driving i try to shift fast while in a bend or in high rpm's and will occasionaly grind a gear or miss a shift which slows me down and hurts the car. its true that dsg is faster. and i hate launching the car off the line with the manual so that slows me down off the line. so how is it when ur in a corner and you need to shift the dsg with the paddles? have u ever hit the wrong paddle?

Its great shifting in corners, I usually just downshift right as I start to turn so the shift is complete by the apex. Never hit the wrong paddles I actually usually use the tiptronic shifter than using the paddles cause if your turning the wheel it’s hard to access the paddles as they turn with the wheel.

Can you give us the kink of this video? For me DSG is: Boring, more expensive and makes the car heavier. This is what i think and don't give a *&#% what other people say, DSG or automatic transmission are for GIRLS, Manual are for MALES. Period!