GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ignition Coil/Spark Plug problem

JoseyGTI

I have a 2007 GTI, 2.0 4 cylinder and twice this week I’ve thrown the coils/plugs. i was driving, dropped a gear and gassed it, the car sputtered and sounded like a fart then started to shake. This happened about 3-4 days ago as well, replace the coils and plugs and fixed the problem.
Anyone have any info to help or any solutions?

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
I have the same car. Shortly after purchase, (50K mi) I had the same symptom at start-up. Plugged in my friends OBD-2 reader and got a code for "misfire cylinder four". I learned in here that our cars have a history of bad coil packs (design issue?) from the factory, which there is now an upgraded part available from the dealership. Other's in here upgrade with the AUDI coil packs which some believe are better. I changed all four with the upgraded VW version and threw in a set of Bosch Double Platinum replacing the Denso IK20 plugs I found installed. (This is not a Honda after all...) The car has been running strong ever since. (82K now). P.S. Check your cam follower if you haven't already and replace your (probably downgrade and disintegrating) diverter valve. Good Luck. There is a wealth of knowledge in here. All I know is what I've learned.

JoseyGTI

Thanks! I’ve been reading and it just seems like a lot from that year have the same problem, I appreciate it, also should I go ahead and get a new spark plug?

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
If you haven't already replaced them, plugs are relatively cheap and easily replaced. Don't forget to put anti-seize on the threads and just torque until snug (aluminum head). Also, put a film of ignition silicone (grease) on the ceramic of the plugs so the boot's of the coil packs slide over them easily and won't stick to the plug's over time. (Keeps moisture off the clip connections too). Put a reader on and see what codes are stored. You can do this free at Auto-Zone and Advance auto parts stores.

Last edited:

JoseyGTI

i just picked up new coils and plugs, already had the silicone and got some anti-seize, thank you for the info, I appreciate it