GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I see a lot of people...

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk6, SS
Eh, it's a Nissan. It can't be incredibly difficult to maintain on your own, let alone get it serviced. Just because it once cost $80k+ doesn't mean the actual upkeep or even parts would. The '98 supra once had that price tag and parts for those are fairly cheap, and it doesn't cost $4k for a tranny flush.

do some research before you speculate.

it's expensive to service, nissan techs need special certifications to even touch these cars, and few mechanics have them.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
do some research before you speculate.

it's expensive to service, nissan techs need special certifications to even touch these cars, and few mechanics have them.

Yep, I think its about $800 at independent shops for dsg service, dealer cost is way higher.

I aint even mad at you if you can do brah... just don't underestimate the cost of that car because its just Nissan...

Im pretty sure Corvettes are less of high maintenance car... One of the reason why second hand owners go in it NFG style.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I was curious myself so googled... I was kinda curious

point of reference
http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/47252-how-much-is-your-upkeep-on-your-gtr/

Insurance is only one thing you have to worry about. The cost of maintenance is what can be really expensive. The GT-R is a quite expensive to maintain, especially if you use it for a daily driver and even more so if you track it alot.

I'm going to need tires soon and at $1800.00 a set it isn't that bad.......except for the fact that this will be the third set I've gone through in a 2 1/2 year time frame. If you run your car hard, expect to go through a set every 7000 miles, and more if you track frequently.

Oil changes aren't cheap....at many dealers it's $200.00. Trans fluid is $70-80 per quart and dealers charge $700-800 for a trans fluid change. Brakes are $7000-8000 front and rear at a dealer, although for about half that you can do it yourself through the aftermarket. I wouldn't expect brakes to last more than 30,000 miles if mostly street driven, but far far less if tracked regularly. Differential fluids should be changed often too, especially the front diff.

Sooo in summary I drive mine about 8k miles a years, do not track alot, and my costs are probably about $3000 yearly for just maintenance, and I do all my own work as I have a shop.

As she gets more miles I'm sure I'll be looking at trans work in the future......thank God I am capable of working on this car myself.

There are more expensive cars to maintain than the GT-R, but not many.

Don't think insurance and registration is all that's required for expenses. Since you said up-keep in your post I'm assuming you like to know the rest of the story.

Second example
Let's see

two set of tires - $1800 per set x2 $3600
fluid exchange (trans, fr diff, rr diff) - $1400
Brake fluid x2 - $100 = $200
Oil change $180 x2 = $360 + $80 (local garage using oil and filter I purchased) x2 = $160 = $520
Brake rotors AP Racing (front only) = $1170
Brake pads = ~$600 (need another front set ASAP)

~$6000 for 2.5 years, 20,000 miles, 2000 track miles, and I do none of my own work.

I pay about $800 this year for taxes/registration/vanity plate.

I pay about $800/yr for the car insurance.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

whatisthatsound

Passed Driver's Ed
A lot of these comments are pretty ignorant. When I lived in Pensacola we had 5 GTR's that would come out and drive with us. They never paid more in maintenance than I did in my Viper. I drove one they are neat cars, but when I am buying a track toy I want the least amount of things in the car. Sure they were hands down faster than my Viper, but they weren't as much fun to drive. If you want a track toy the GTR isn't it. Go with less computers and more pedals. The likes of a caterham or exige are perfect for a toy.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
The GT-R is the LAST car I'd pick up as a fun daily driver. My coworker has one and the car is constantly in the shop for some type of transmission related items. He had a 996 911 previously that he got rid of because he thought it was a maintenance nightmare and now tells me how much less of a headache the 996 was.
If you can afford a used GT-R along with the upkeep then go for it but please don't do what so many people tend to do...they can barely swing the monthly payment on a sports car and neglect the maintenance due to that.
My coworkers always give me a hard time for driving a 'cheap' VW, I tell them it's paid for and I can maintain it and mod it properly and still have plenty left over.

If you do want a fun daily driver look into a C6 ZO6, a lot more fun than a GT-R in my opinion (more driver input, less computers) and it's bullet proof from a reliability standpoint.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Thats a high maintenance car... If VW/Audis guys complain about DSG maintenance just wait tell maintain that Dual Clutch...

1/2 of the people on here can't even install a set of LED tail lights let alone maintain their car.

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
I am a firm believer in learning things yourself if the money is not a big deal. Go buy an R35 and find out if it's worth it to you. For me, someone with less than a pocket full of cash, I would go with a cheaper daily driver, mk6 prices, then track it or an s2000, miata, c6 Z06, or something of that nature.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
I see a lot of people discussing picking up weekend toys, or trading up for bigger powerhouses, like used vettes, C7s, etc. Has no one considered getting a used GT-R?

Currently looking into the used lots for 2013s and under and they can be had for around $50-60k with maybe 14k on the odom. Not at all horrible for a near $100k car with all that potential. The MPGs it totes aren't all too far off from the numbers you'd get with a WRX STI or a equivalent.

Assuming prices keep dropping, a 2013 next year could be sub $50k maybe, which isn't terrible at all.

Kinda confused as to why more of you haven't jumped into those. I'm certainly looking into it. Do you guys know something I don't?

Did an Autotrader search below:

Range of prices within this search:

Highest Price:$142,500 Lowest Price:$60,000 Average Price:$75,527

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...=used&listingTypes=used&makeCode1=NISSAN&mmt=[NISSAN[GT-R[]][]]&modelCode1=GT-R&searchRadius=0&showcaseOwnerId=1328055&startYear=2012&Log=0

Based on my experience with friends here, US and UK - 3500$ per year at 10,000mi per as DD for maintenance. Tires are 15-1800 and it comes with run flats. You can save on that but it wont be night and day cheaper.
Brakes are just expensive - Period.

From here: http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/68875-annual-maintenance-costs-10-11k-per-year-dd/

(--A guy with a lift?

$1000 tranny fluid for the most expensive. Once a year change if tracking,less often if not.

$75 per oil change, figure 3 per year if little track. More if more often.

$2000+ some change for OEM tires, one set per year on your schedule.

Diff fluid changes, $70 per diff per time. Figure once a year.

Grand total $3500.

I left out brakes and brake pads, depends on whether or not you're REALLY going to track or not. Hard full on braking, then we'll need to revise that figure up a tad.--)

So that above plus fuel, insurance etc. Low miles prices advertised are $65-75k+. High miles are $60k(12 and 13's) and if you go up in mileage they are not easy to sell later. They do not sell well new to begin with. Id get a 911 for that kind of money myself. I tinkered with the idea of a GTR seriously. I love it but I had a 370Z already and moved on. Next up is a 4C at about 60k next summer. Fun and capable without the headaches the GTR brings.

Its a 4000lb machine the GTR, and it will crack rotors on high speed/fun street driving = Autobahn for me. Its about 1000 per wheel to re-up fully the brakes. No thanks. It is for a modern car/exotic rather needy and its not the worst in that genre. Do you have a good indy shop to really dig into the cost of just operating and doing normal maint? Why buy and not get the full Godzilla experience. Get it and go fast on a track and up your skills for a year. If not dont bother with this unless its a bucket list car.

Good luck and have fun if you do it!! Life's short and happy new year!

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Have any of you guys ever driven a GT-R? I had the opportunity to drive one balls out through the mountains and it was fast as hell... but actually not that fun. You can really feel the computers doing everything for you.

If I did more high-speed track days or drag events it would make more sense for me, but for the weekend mountain runs and canyon carving that I do on a regular basis, my slow GTI is honestly more fun and engaging.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Using Godzilla is cheating...