GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I need a new engine at 48k miles, pre owned warranty voided by stage 1 tune

Drazzed

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Hi guys, so basically the title is a TLDR.

5 months ago I purchased a used 2016 DSG GTI with 46k miles on the clock. The car is in great shape and it is a certified pre-owned vehicle with a 2-year bumper to bumper warranty.

After a couple weeks I installed an APR intake, a Magnaflow cat-back and everything was great. Car is running nice and smooth.
Weeks later I chose to tune the car with COBB Stage 1 tune. Ran it for a few months and had no issues.

Recently, I went on a small road trip with the car (checked every fluid before departure, everything was okay, the car doesn’t eat any oil at all). Made it to my destination without any issues, however, on my way back, a few miles from home the “check oil level” light popped up on the dash, which weirded me and I stopped a couple miles away in a service plaza, checked the oil level and suddenly it was in the very minimum (you could barely see it at the edge of the oil dip stick). I purchased a small bottle of Shell 5w-30 (because there was no 5w-40 available, and yes, I know it doesn’t meet VW specifications) to temporarily fix the issue and when I got home I would immediately perform the oil change myself, including coil packs and spark plugs (just to make sure my car is in peak performance, I had all of this awaiting for me at home).

Soon after I refilled the oil to the middle of the measure (between min. and max.) the engine began “misfiring” so it was running very weird and failing a lot, but it kept running.

I made it home, with the engine running so poor it felt like it was about to stall. Man I felt bad for my car. I read the codes (at this point CEL and EPC lights were on) and there was misfire in cyl 2 and 4. Next morning I get to work on my car, changed the oil, changed coil packs and spark plugs,cleared the codes and the engine was fine except for one thing, there was still a misfire on cyl 4, at this point I didn’t know what to do since I did everything that I thought would be causing the failure (I didn’t think injectors would be a problem since the car has barely 50k miles), I tested the coilpack and it had power, which meant the spark plug was working.

I have to add that on cylinder 4, when I took the original spark plug out, it was full of oil, the spark plug and the inside of the cylinder, all other 3 plugs were clean. So that’s another issue and probably the reason why the oil was suddenly drained.

So I took it to the VW dealership from which I purchased it, to see if they could address the issue and maybe see if it’s covered by warranty. I know tuning the car basically voids any warranty on the car but since I didn’t mod anything on the engine I took my chances.

A day after dropping my car off, I receive a call from the service advisor telling me that I need a whole new engine because they “found” pieces of the piston ring in the oil pan, which weirds me out because in order for that to happen the piston has to be out of the cylinder, which would basically stop the whole engine from operating. They told me that since the car is/was tuned,VW might not cover it under their warranty. So I had to wait until “somebody from VW” took a loot at the car and made the decision on whether or not warranty is applied.

A week later (now today) I call and I don’t get an answer from the advisor, I get to talk to somebody else from the department and the advisor is “on vacation” so my car does need a new engine, and because it was tuned warranty is voided.

I am obviously still paying for the car, so I come to you guys for help, advice and discuss with you and your experience so that way I know what should I do.

I thank you beforehand.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Parts of the piston ringland can break off and make it's way to the bottom of the pan...pretty common to find it in the pan for this type of failure. Engine will still run on 3 cylinders.

good luck on the warranty claim...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Bummer. You'll never know if it was tune-related or not. Not many choices on this one. Pay to fix it or sell it as-is. Either way, you owe the bank whatever balance remains.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Salvage motor is the cheapest option, get quotes for install from the dealer and local Indy shops. Known good, very low mileage GTI motors are about $3K. If you're willing to buy something with more miles and take more of a risk I've seen them at $1K.

It's not that crazy of a job to DIY if you have a good tool setup, some power tools and an engine hoist. Professionals can get the motor out of an MK7 in under 2 hrs on a lift (out the bottom so much less disassembly). Doing it on jackstands I disassembled the whole front clip and it took me about 6 hours at a casual pace. Add a few hours to swap everything over and reassembly will be slightly longer. Could be done in a dedicated weekend in a well equipped home garage and a weekend warrior mechanic. Just an FYI the engine and trans is wider than the frame of the car and sits below it, so going out the top would have to be done at a very difficult angle if it is at all possible.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Salvage motor is the cheapest option, get quotes for install from the dealer and local Indy shops. Known good, very low mileage GTI motors are about $3K. If you're willing to buy something with more miles and take more of a risk I've seen them at $1K.

It's not that crazy of a job to DIY if you have a good tool setup, some power tools and an engine hoist. Professionals can get the motor out of an MK7 in under 2 hrs on a lift (out the bottom so much less disassembly). Doing it on jackstands I disassembled the whole front clip and it took me about 6 hours at a casual pace. Add a few hours to swap everything over and reassembly will be slightly longer. Could be done in a dedicated weekend in a well equipped home garage and a weekend warrior mechanic. Just an FYI the engine and trans is wider than the frame of the car and sits below it, so going out the top would have to be done at a very difficult angle if it is at all possible.

You do realize that if anything ever happens to my engine I'm totally driving cross-country into your garage

tigeo

Autocross Champion
This scares me to mod my car, but I'm sure the previous owner maybe didn't baby the car those 46k miles

It's all about your risk tolerance.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
It's all about your risk tolerance.

Hence the statement, gotta pay to play, which has punched me in the face more times than I can count.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
That stinks. Any signs of the car being tuned by the first owner?

Don't have a JB/1JB4/Neuspeed module, maybe someone w one can confirm...but would there be signs/scratches from install? It wouldn't hurt to call few tuners and have them check your VIN. (Use a different storyline :))

Man.. is it me or has this forum seen an increase of engine failures these past few months?

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Bought a car..

After few weeks installed apr..

After a few more weeks decided to tune ap..

Do you have a money tree in your back yard? If so..

After a few more weeks replace the engine..

Whats next?

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
You do realize that if anything ever happens to my engine I'm totally driving cross-country into your garage
It's 8 hours, don't get all weird about it. I'll make chilli.