GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I am retarded. 101 in a 65 reckless driving, need advice.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
Ok, I'm the first one to say speeding is dumb, but low and behold I took my wife's c30 down to CT from MA and got snagged doing 101 in a 65. Stupid stint, but I wanted to test out the new car in the family.. and of course I get busted with a cop on the side of the road that I could not see. Guy was nice and cited me for reckless driving and told me he wouldn't bust my balls and arrest me and impound my car and put my dog in the pound. Seriously said this and I said thank you :)

Since it's out of state where the hell do I start here? Got a court summons and no ticket (yet) in CT. I live in MA. My driving record is not perfect but not too shabby, just a red light ticket and an accident over the past 5 years.

Do I hire a lawyer? From CT? Do I take a defensive driving course? Will a suspended license result in me losing it in just CT or CT and MA?

Spare me the cool story bro stories, I'm just looking for advice. I have some e-mails in to lawyers and giving them a call in the morning. Court is in 1 1/2 weeks.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I know it was stupid, so thanks for not posting ignorant comments in the thread. Thanks!

:thumbsup:

even if they dont take your license, good luck finding insurance. try to see if they'll knock it down to a lesser moving violation.

Good luck, youll need it man.

-FF

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Time for an attorney and good luck getting cheap reasonable insurance.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
Thanks, calling the lawyers tomorrow to see if they can save me some points. Last thing I need is a criminal record for reckless driving for something that was just plain stupid. This weekend has been bad enough with the wife chewing me out for my stupidity. In her car too since the GTI is in the shop with A/C issues, lol.

BoardSnow6

Banned
Car(s)
Capita Scaremaster
Why do you drive so fast in the first place? Thats going to be where they pin it on you. If you were running late, and have a habbit of it, just plan everything out a half hour earlier so you can be safe. What in the hell would your wife do if the doorbell rang and the state police told her you were driving like a jackass and had died a painful death that was the cause of your own stupidity?

CW08DSG

I don't care.
Car(s)
08 GTI 2dr DSG
I think you're taking the correct path...good legal advice from an attorney who has experience with traffic law can be invaluable. Good luck. We've all done stupid shit and we all end up paying one way or another. Sounds like you got a good break already, hope all works out for you.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
I know I know I don't need lectures, just testing the new c30 out and got caught doing it. I know it was dumb, not saying it wasn't. I did not have my family in the car, just my poor dog. Barely anyone on the road and a HUGE straightaway is a reasonable place to press the "go" pedal. Wanted to see how the 5 cylinder Volvo compared to the GTI. Was fun until my heart fell into my seat seeing officer.

kevvve

TÜ MÄDR3
I'm in the same position buddy. I was on an open highway around midnight and it was empty and decided to get on it a bit got caught doing 102 in a 55, got a lawyer, I have court thursday I hope I can put this behind me. It's probably the dumbest thing I've ever done. It was my first moving violation.

Hire a lawyer take it from there

Good luck with it man.

He's right, shit does happen. On the 14 miles stretch of lakebed i have driving to work, i got clocked at 90 in a 60. Luckily it was on base, never reported to insurance, but did have my on-base driving priviledges revoked for 1 year (shortened to 6 months).

You'll get through it OP, and have thicker skin for it.

-FF

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
^^let me know how that goes. Where did you find a lawyer? Online or did you have one already? I've just been searching for one that is local to the area I got the summons in.

turtleblunt

Ready to race!
years ago i did a burnout with my jeep cherokee leaving school, there was a cop who saw the whole thing and he pulled me over, gave me a ticket for reckless driving. i had to get a lawyer and go to court where it got dropped down to a careless driving. still sucks, but it was 3 pts and a pretty big fine. and an online traffic course. but i kept my license and my insurance didn't shit all over me. good luck op, lots of high horsing around here. btw, hows the c30? i havent had the chance to drive one yet

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
Thanks for all the helpful advice and lack of off topic comments! The c30 is a blast.. more refined than the GTI but definitely not as fun. Smooth ride, sexy looks, and great torque/hp ratio. After this incident, I am seriously contemplating getting into an A4 or A3 from the GTI and slowing down considerably. On my way home today I set the cruise on 65 and the satellite radio to Chill, lol. Dog was sleeping on the front seat and my gas mileage thanked me.

Zach L

VR junkie
Last thing I need is a criminal record for reckless driving for something that was just plain stupid.

Most, if not all, criminal records are from doing things "just plain stupid". You could go farther and say having one is generally a sign of having the other. Of course we're not talking about literally stupid people, we're talking about people immature enough to do things without believing they'll get caught or have to face the consequences of their decisions.