GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - PTP Turbo Underhood Shield

HYDE16

Ready to race!

After seeing the high quality of the PTP Turbo K04 Lava Turbo Blanket and the PTP Turbo Firewall Blanket, I asked PTP Turbo if they could custom build a proper underhood blanket to replace the hideous, frayed OEM fabric blanket and add a little more sound deadening to the hood and overall engine bay. I wanted a custom underhood blanket for the clean look, sound deadening and the one-time fix for the OEM deterioration problem. PTP Turbo was quick to provide a solution after I mailed them my OEM underhood blanket. Using that as their outline, PTP Turbo fabricated the hand built PTP Tubro Underhood Shield in the same shape, retaining the mounting holes and making sure the blanket fingers fit snugly into the underside cutouts.

Product Description:
Tired of your factory and factory replacement hood shields deteriorating on your Volkswagen MK5 or MK6? The PTP Volkswagen MK5 and MK6 Underhood Shield was designed to replace the OEM hood shield, providing a long-lasting insulation solution that not only looks great, but also provides superior heat protection and noise-reduction over the OEM insulation and traditional OEM insulation replacement options.

The Volkswagen MK5 and MK6 Underhood Shield is constructed using a ¼” fiberglass insulation with inner and outer layers of black silicone. Kevlar stitching ensures that the MK5 and MK6 Underhood Shield will provide you with years of protection from high engine bay temperatures. Don’t be afraid to raise your hood. This matte black underhood shield won’t show dirt and stains, and cleans up easily for rallies and shows. Wipe clean with a dry, lint-free towel.

The MK5 and MK6 Underhood Shield is a high-quality insulation product that won’t have you replacing your hood shield every other year.

OEM Blanket Deterioration:

PTP Turbo Underhood Shield:

Installation:

Overall Feedback:
Needless to say, this PTP Turbo Underhood Shield fit like a glove (based on the OEM shape) and looks way better. It provides a subtle look so it doesn’t stand out too much and doesn’t take away from the engine bay. You can use the OEM retaining clips/fasteners to mount the PTP Turbo Underhood Shield to the underside of the hood. The fingers of the PTP Turbo Underhood Shield stay snugly in place once they are tucked up inside the hood cutouts. Between this PTP Turbo Underhood Shield and the PTP Turbo Firewall Blanket, the annoying direct injection ticking noise is gone which speaks to the sound deadening capabilities of these products. Overall, I am really happy that PTP Turbo was willing to create another custom product for the Volkswagen marketplace. They are going to offer a full MK5/MK6 insulation package inclusive of their PTP Turbo Underhood Shield, PTP Turbo Firewall Blanket and their PTP Turbo K04 Lava Turbo Blanket.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
Pricey...yes, but it's a solid product. I've seen the prototype in person....far from a flimsy item.

My factory liner feel apart earlier this year, I drive a 2010. A VW replacement piece is around $150, but it is what it is.

This is a good replacement for liners that fall apart after quickly, or for people who have to deal with mice nesting up there.

For me, don't have the expendable fund right now either way......do DI tick tick's are my flavor of the day.

HYDE16

Ready to race!
Pricey...yes, but it's a solid product. I've seen the prototype in person....far from a flimsy item.

My factory liner feel apart earlier this year, I drive a 2010. A VW replacement piece is around $150, but it is what it is.

This is a good replacement for liners that fall apart after quickly, or for people who have to deal with mice nesting up there.

For me, don't have the expendable fund right now either way......do DI tick tick's are my flavor of the day.

That's the goal, 1x replacement for a liner that will not fall apart again, will always look great, cleans up easy and offers more sound deadening without any increase in under hood temps. That's a win in my book.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
x2

I cant understand why anyone would look at the OEM hood thing and think "I should spend money on this."

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
At $200 they might sell.

HYDE16

Ready to race!
x2

I cant understand why anyone would look at the OEM hood thing and think "I should spend money on this."

Some people think the same about full sets of weather tech mats, LED tail lights, aftermarket headlights, and various other expensive cosmetic upgrades. People who have money will invest in these items for the durability and high quality.

At $200 they might sell.

There is a HYDE coupon if you call and talk to Joe at PTP.

HYDE16

Ready to race!
Just as an FYI, I have the V1 and V2 Prototype Underhood Shields for sale, they will require a little ingenuity around the fasteners and it will work perfectly.

V1 & V2 Design:

V1 blanket gone, V2 still available!

ToucanLife

Ready to race!
x2

My thoughts exactly - hood looks way better with no liner as well - the PTP one looks really funky and uglier than OEM IMO

HYDE16

Ready to race!
Just as an FYI, I have the V1 and V2 Prototype Underhood Shields for sale, they will require a little ingenuity around the fasteners and it will work perfectly.

V1 & V2 Design:

V2 blanket still up for grabs... the tabs around the outside of the blanket are perfect length and stay in place but the holes cut in the center of the blanket were a little too large making some of the black plastic retaining clips fall through. Figuring out a way to add a thin spacer or a different retainer would solve this issue no problem.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
V2 blanket still up for grabs... the tabs around the outside of the blanket are perfect length and stay in place but the holes cut in the center of the blanket were a little too large making some of the black plastic retaining clips fall through. Figuring out a way to add a thin spacer or a different retainer would solve this issue no problem.

so its $350 and doesn't fit without being modified? :rolleyes: