GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPA Motorsports

MadSc13ntist

Ready to race!
Yeah its really not fair for the brands who had the tuning market on lock for the Mk6 market for so many years.
Out of no where COBB comes in with their super mature platform and now all of the features of accessport are available to us on the MK6 platform. Mobile apps are cool, but its hard to compare to dedicated hardware. Its just not even a comparison anymore outside of people like APR being able to claim their years of previous experience on the platforms, but its clear that wasn't much of a hurdle for COBB as their pre-made tunes are just fine for most people.

Especially considering what Gertie said about being able to sell it used for like 80% of the cost. Buy for like $675 I think is the current price, sell for $500-$550 used. I think the one from Stratified with their pre-made tunes is about $750 or so.
Yeah thats hard to beat right there. Im not drag racing or trying to compete with anyone so its not like I need the absolute best on the market, assuming there really is such a thing. Most of their dynos are all pretty close to each other and once I do a few data logs and it gets tweaked I dont think it will really matter which one it is.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
I dont have any personal experience with HPA but they seem to have a good reputation through the VW/Audi community and they build some pretty spectacular turbo VR6 AWD cars. I'm not sure who they use for tuning but they aren't hugely well known on this platform. Not to say they dont make quality products or tunes though. Call them up and see if they'll sync you up with someone that can give a testimonial for what you are looking for.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I thought about trying the E30 blend but was looking around to see how accurate you had to be with the mixture and what happens if you are off a bit. I like the pops and crackles but feel like I will get tired of them after a couple of months and take it off anyways. I have a manual so no launch control and not interested in no lift shift. Just my daily I like to race around in beating my own previous time from point to point. lol. Hard fast corners and lots of acceleration. I do like the Accessport and what you can monitor on it. I would rather have that than several gauges. I saw a Youtube where dude had a Iphone size screen laying flat on his front left dash and he could view what it said in the reflection of the window. Cant figure out what it was though. Ill try and find it and take a screenshot.
I just bought a polarfis and it displays a lot of info in the info screen. I am apr and I think its decent dont have anything to compare to. Just wanted to tell you about the polar..
Carry on

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
I just bought a polarfis and it displays a lot of info in the info screen. I am apr and I think its decent dont have anything to compare to. Just wanted to tell you about the polar..
Carry on

So that looks awesome, but the Accessport also stores the min/max values since last boot as well. So you can see what your peak boost is without having to watch while it happens. Or keep an eye on your max intake air temp after your drive into work.
You can see the two min/max values under the current value in this picture I found online
IMG_0731-W1024.jpg

Additionally, I think someone else mentioned earlier, Accessport can also log files as well while driving. I logged files a few times with VAGCom, but Accessport is just another level of ease compared to driving around with a laptop plugged in.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I agree, cobb with strato custom is the way to go. If I do it again that will be the route I take. Yea, no logging with Polar.

MadSc13ntist

Ready to race!
I dont have any personal experience with HPA but they seem to have a good reputation through the VW/Audi community and they build some pretty spectacular turbo VR6 AWD cars. I'm not sure who they use for tuning but they aren't hugely well known on this platform. Not to say they dont make quality products or tunes though. Call them up and see if they'll sync you up with someone that can give a testimonial for what you are looking for.
I think I am going to try their short shifter for sure. I like that it has 2 different options for adjustment.

MadSc13ntist

Ready to race!
The Polar FIS is pretty cool that it uses the factory screen and keeps the OEM look but the additional features with the accessport make it hard not to want it.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Yeah its really not fair for the brands who had the tuning market on lock for the Mk6 market for so many years.
Out of no where COBB comes in with their super mature platform and now all of the features of accessport are available to us on the MK6 platform. Mobile apps are cool, but its hard to compare to dedicated hardware. Its just not even a comparison anymore outside of people like APR being able to claim their years of previous experience on the platforms, but its clear that wasn't much of a hurdle for COBB as their pre-made tunes are just fine for most people.

Especially considering what Gertie said about being able to sell it used for like 80% of the cost. Buy for like $675 I think is the current price, sell for $500-$550 used. I think the one from Stratified with their pre-made tunes is about $750 or so.

I came from Subarus that had the AccessPort available for quite a while and I was genuinely confused why none of the big Audi/VW aftermarket engineering companies hadn’t come out with a similar product. I guess the profit margins must be better when you’re only selling the ECU recalibration with no additional hardware, but they surely had to see the AccessPort coming from a mile away the second Cobb started branching out from Subaru.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
The Polar FIS is pretty cool that it uses the factory screen and keeps the OEM look but the additional features with the accessport make it hard not to want it.
I've had a polarfis for a few years and it's cool, but I question how accurate it is when it comes to oil temps which is mainly what I want it for

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I've had a polarfis for a few years and it's cool, but I question how accurate it is when it comes to oil temps which is mainly what I want it for
Do you have any idea how the ECU comes to the conclusion that it does regarding oil temp? Have you compared the ECU’s output to a gauge with it’s own sensor to see if it’s anywhere close to accurate?

jay745

Do you have any idea how the ECU comes to the conclusion that it does regarding oil temp? Have you compared the ECU’s output to a gauge with it’s own sensor to see if it’s anywhere close to accurate?
I am not sure on where the sensor is reading it from, and don't have a stand alone oil temp or coolant temp gauge yet.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
My oil temp is usually at 238d and coolant temp about 210. I have noticed my egt temp will hit 1800d when I get on it. From what I have noticed every 10d outside egt goes up 100d give or take.
When it was 80d out I saw egt at 1600d
Today close to 100d I see around 1800d during a hard pull.
Boost is at 28psi which I believe is correct for apr 2+.
I see my hp numbers around peak 320 and torque at 350.
Algorithm for the oil temp i assume.
Intake air temp has been stuck at 125.1d since last week.
Don't know if I'm supposed to pull the fis out and reset?

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion

Does the Polarfis take up the OBD2 port?
If not, you can get both 😇
I looked into the Polarfis and I don't think I monitor enough things to actually need one, but it sure looks awesome.
Accessport can display 1, 3, 5 and 6 items I think. The entire list of options available to monitor is linked below.

My oil temp is usually at 238d and coolant temp about 210. I have noticed my egt temp will hit 1800d when I get on it. From what I have noticed every 10d outside egt goes up 100d give or take.
When it was 80d out I saw egt at 1600d
Today close to 100d I see around 1800d during a hard pull.
Boost is at 28psi which I believe is correct for apr 2+.
I see my hp numbers around peak 320 and torque at 350.
Algorithm for the oil temp i assume.
Intake air temp has been stuck at 125.1d since last week.
Don't know if I'm supposed to pull the fis out and reset?

COBB has a great knowledgebase with almost any info you'd need on it somewhere if you search right.
They have a list here of the monitors available and how they get the values: https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/98799234/Volkswagen+Monitor+List+-+Mk6+GTI
For instance I like to monitor Oil temp, so I assumed Modeled temp is calculated vs the Oil Temp (Motor) that appears to be reading right from a sensor

Sounds like your numbers are super high, you must live in some serious sun & heat.
What sort of intake do you have? your IATs are about what mine are on a 90* day but your oil is warmer than mine has ever gotten. Your coolant temps are mostly in line with what I see though.

jay745

I looked into the Polarfis and I don't think I monitor enough things to actually need one, but it sure looks awesome.
Accessport can display 1, 3, 5 and 6 items I think. The entire list of options available to monitor is linked below.

COBB has a great knowledgebase with almost any info you'd need on it somewhere if you search right.
They have a list here of the monitors available and how they get the values: https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/98799234/Volkswagen+Monitor+List+-+Mk6+GTI
For instance I like to monitor Oil temp, so I assumed Modeled temp is calculated vs the Oil Temp (Motor) that appears to be reading right from a sensor

Sounds like your numbers are super high, you must live in some serious sun & heat.
What sort of intake do you have? your IATs are about what mine are on a 90* day but your oil is warmer than mine has ever gotten. Your coolant temps are mostly in line with what I see though.
It doesn't use the ODB2 port, it connects direct to the can bus

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion

Texas...haha. yea its a bit warm here. I usually try to limit my hard driving to early morning hours when its still in the 80s.
I have apr intake and arm fmic. Like I stated, I don't think my intake temp is correct. It hasnt moved in days lol