GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HowTo: window net install on GTI

andrewGTI

Car(s)
2008 GTI
I decided to try out wheel-to-wheel racing in my 08 Golf GTI MkV, and one of the requirements for W2W racing with Midwest Council of Sports Car Clubs, or MCSCC, is a window net. I really struggled with how to install a window net per the rules – I don’t have a rollcage, only a rollbar – because the big “gotcha” is the window net can’t be mounted to the door. So wanted to share my solution, as I wasn’t able to find much info out there, and it passed tech inspection with flying colors. So, if someone else needs the same solution for the GTI MkV (or ideas for any others), hopefully you can leverage from my experience.

As I mentioned, for the window net install to be allowed per my club rules of not installed to the door, and me having only a roll bar and not a cage, it took some creativity.

I started with a window net from Pegasus racing supply, and spring-released window net bars (top and bottom) from IO Port . The kit contains most hardware for mounting to a cage, but as I don’t have a cage I still wound up using most of the parts for the install to my bar.

Step 1: feed the window net bars through the net. The spring loaded one should be on top.

Step 2: with a buddy to help with placement, drill two holes into the rollbar, that match to where you want the top and bottom bars for the window net to be. This takes care of the easy two out of the four mountings.

Step 3: create a bracket to hold the other side of the top net bar, near the front of the car. See the pictures. I wound up removing the handle and cutting part of the headliner out to expose the airbag (because this is my dedicated track car, don’t really care how the interior looks anymore; you can probably bend it back and carve out the headliner around it if you care about appearances). You’ll see some good part of the metal frame where you can use two self-tapping screws to mount the bracket. Now, creating this bracket is probably the toughest part. I had a buddy who knows how to do some metalwork create it for me. (if you want one of these brackets, let me know and he can probably create on for you for a few bucks + shipping). Mount the bracket, making SURE the distance is right and 100% correct with the bar “stops” and spring release.

Step 4: take the straps that came with the IO Port kit, and create a nice tight loop from the bottom of the bar to the existing factory seat belt mount bar at the bottom. Make it nice and tight. Again, see the pictures to see exactly how it turned out.

That’s it. Its easy to mount / unmount when you’re harnessed in, and easy to get out should you roll the GTI. And like I said, it passed tech inspection without any issues, and I actually got a compliment from the tech inspector on the creative install. And if done right, shouldn’t need to take any adjustments in between uses.

Hope that helps any one trying to do window net install. Good luck!

Attachments

• net into bar.jpg
    net into bar.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 900
  • bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 603
  • view from inside.jpg
    view from inside.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 646
  • bottom strap.jpg
    bottom strap.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 959
  • holes in bar.jpg
    holes in bar.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 658
  • Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 675

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
Little off topic but do you have any more pictures of your car? I love tracked-out GTI's.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
i try to keep the project site up to date:

http://atvelocity.net

and i'll be at CVO AutoX on Sunday at Maywood, you can see it for yourself if you're there!

Haha shit ok, Didn't realize that was you. Seen the car at all the events. Nice work :thumbsup: