GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to replace N80 canister purge valve?

zap

Ready to race!
Hi
Anyone knows where is the N80 valve located? ALso where is the sensor? I got this code thrown:

001089 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow
P0441 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

Sanzio

Maschinenbauingenieur
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
DIY: N80 Purge valve replacement

Hi,

Not sure if you have resolved your issue but wanted to share my experience on it. I also used to have the same DTC (P0441):

001089 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow
P0441 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100010
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 254
Mileage: 20912 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 10:39:16

So I decided to replace the N80 valve: (pic 1)
1.JPG

This replacement includes the valve's right vent hose to a new one with new routing, which improves EVAP system performance; so in total I used the following service parts: (pic 2)

- N80 valve P/N 06E906517A
- New-design vent hose P/N 8P0133781B
- Clamps P/N N10199201 (3-pcs)

2.JPG

I needed a thin flat screwdriver and needle pliers. A carpenter pliers were also useful to tight the clamps: (pic 3)

3.JPG

The work was fairly easy. As you may know one must remove the sound absorber panel (I asked for someone else's help since it was too hard to remove mine by myself) TIP: Heat up the engine to ease its removal.

After disconnecting the valve harness and the plastic hose right above the valve, I used the flat screwdriver and needle pliers to disengage the clamps, being careful not to damage the fuel steel tube and valve's left short hose: (pic 4)

4.JPG

I finally connected the new hose and valve as per initial position and maked sure to tight the clamps well. So I got something like this: (pic 5)

5.JPG

I noticed a little increase in power and have not had the DTC since then; hope it continues like that.

Hope it helps!

bbong73

Passed Driver's Ed
What's the difference in the hose? Just curious

So far I've replaced the N80 valve and even the carbon canister under the car.

And I keep getting back the stupid code. I guess the hose is my next thing to replace

Sanzio

Maschinenbauingenieur
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
The new hose has a different routing, it's just that. A technical bulletin from the bentley repair manual states to replace OEM hose to the new one, but it is just a suggestion to improve performance; it does not state exactly why.

On the other hand, I got the evil code back again. My theory is that this is a sensing problem. Since, if it were a leak in the system, we would get a leak-related code such as small leak, medium leak, etc. but this is not the case, so there is no leak in the system. Second, the new N80 cannot be failing. Then, if my theory is not true, we would have an issue with the double-check valve that is after the N80 and before the sensor that measures the amount of gas fumes into the intake manifold and the turbo. That would be the cause, the double-check valve. Perhaps it is not letting the correct amount of gas vapors to pass into the intake and turbo, but then again where would they be going???!!! I've been clueless since then, all I can do is to check the double-check valve, but it is unlikely that such pure mechanical component is failing.

TIP: Do not purchase/replace the hose til you correct the code definitely. Changing the hose won't do it.

Good luck!

bbong73

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I replace the hose today with the updated one. So far the code hasn't come back and it usually did right away after I cleared it and drove on it a few miles. I'm hoping this does it but from your post IDK

Sanzio

Maschinenbauingenieur
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Well, I think all you can do is wait, as you have replaced the hose. Hope that resolves your DTC. Would be great if you could give an update later on.

Again, if that turns out not to be the solution, I would go for the double-check valve!

bbong73

Passed Driver's Ed
well you were right got the code today.

So where can I find this double check valve? you got a PN

I think I know where it is, I'll check tomorrow

Sanzio

Maschinenbauingenieur
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
The double-check valve must be located right after the N80 valve as shown below in red circle:

1.JPG

or number 17 beneath:

View attachment 2.bmp

I do not know how difficult it can be to reach it but repair manual suggests to check it through a vaccum pump to check for vaccum building up on the n80 side or "behind" the double-check valve (i.e. the opposite side of the intake). Of course if no vaccum is built up you got a bad double-check v, since it would be letting the vapors to come back to the n80, and that's a malfunction.

BTW, what's PN?

djvip2000

Hi Guys

Im new on this forum and I have the same error. Cleared it a few times with Vag Com and still comes back - I have replaced a New N80 Valve along with N80 Valve pipe with new one but still the error keeps coming up.

I want to get rid of this error. Please let me know if you guys come right. I am going to look for the N115 Valve today (Think it is under the spare tyre).

bbong73

Passed Driver's Ed
haven't had a chance to pull a vacuum yet. I picked up last night a pump to test it.

I did run Basic settings 70 with vagcom and ran the evap test and it fails when it gets to 66.8%. Don't know what these numbers are telling me though.

By the way PN stands for Part Number. I was wondering if you knew the part number for the double check valve

bbong73

Passed Driver's Ed
I was finally able to pull a vacuum on the hose that attaches to the left side of the N80 valve and got nothing, the gauge never moved to indicate a vacuum.

Are we sure that hose is suppose to hold a vacuum?

kostecki

Hello, Gentlemen, I have the following problem
what about 4000 - 5000 km gives me this error

001 109 - EVAP System: Large Leak Detected
P0455 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded

after deleting the problem disappears and appears only for about 5000km.
or as replacing the valve problem may disappear if the cause is elsewhere?
Please help.