GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How-to Porsche Cayenne / VW Toureg / Audi Q7 Brembo brakes.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone found a clearance template for the 17z calipers?

Pissat4motion

Time Lord
I have a set of 17z calipers coming. An easy was to counter the extra weight is to grab a set of Passat aluminum LCAs and spindles ??

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Aluminum spindles have thicker mounting bosses and cant be used without some machine work. The stamped lca's hit 17z calipers on full lock, was thinking about going with a set of passat LCA's but dont know if a massive amount of material needs ground away to clear.

Pissat4motion

Time Lord
Aluminum spindles have thicker mounting bosses and cant be used without some machine work. The stamped lca's hit 17z calipers on full lock, was thinking about going with a set of passat LCA's but dont know if a massive amount of material needs ground away to clear.
That sucks..I have the LCAs already, guess I'll pass on the spindles.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Pissat4motion

Time Lord
I've sourced most of the parts (rotors, pads, brake lines). Where's the best place to find the 67-65mm centering rings?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So, I discovered a place called rotorlab. It is a couple of guys doing nothing but selling restored/tested and painted 17z/18z calipers and Toureg rear brake calipers which are 4 piston Brembo units.

Just ordered yesterday and delivery will probably take around 6 weeks. I will chornicle the process. These guys supply the core parts and you have to order a number of parts they do not supply.

I am getting the 18z front kit that allows me to use standard Golf R/R32 345mm rotors in front and 310mm rotors in rear.

The calipers will be double coated red with Brembo logo that will have an epoxy clearcoat over it.

After speaking with Rob the owner I was really sold on what he and his partner are doing. I will say that the pricing is lower than anything I have seen anywhere. I will list all the costs below, currently they are offering a 75 dollar discount on the rear setup when you order a full front kit. As mentioned what you get from rotorlabs is not a complete kit and you do have to order a few things on your own. This includes a rear brake mounting kit and an e-brake solution. I am just waiting for confirmation on a couple pieces of information and I will post all the pieces and prices/sources. The basic cost of parts without shipping would be right at 1850. This would inlclude the aftermarket lines and mounting kit you have to order on your own and assumes you are going to retain your rear calipers to use them as a parking brake. My cost will be raised by an additional 260 for the Willwood parking brake calipers i will be using.

Anyway 1850 for full Brembo setup front and rear seems pretty darn good. So good I pulled the trigger.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I ordered 17z's from Rob back in April, from the reviews he does great work but takes time. Went with the red as well with a black brembo logo. Was waiting for them to come in to review, I went with RB 2-piece front and rear rotors and got a RS3 master cylinder.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I ordered 17z's from Rob back in April, from the reviews he does great work but takes time. Went with the red as well with a black brembo logo. Was waiting for them to come in to review, I went with RB 2-piece front and rear rotors and got a RS3 master cylinder.

So you are still waiting for them at this point? Anymore info on RS3 master cylinder?

Rear mounting kit I am using Link

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Anymore info on RS3 master cylinder?

Parts you will need:
Master Cylinder 8J1-611-021-E
Stud 8J0-614-783
Master Cylinder Seal 1J0-611-243

The brake fluid res on the GTI can be modified for this master cylinder but I went and got a TTS fluid res off of ebay. Should be a bolt in upgrade.

Why you may want to run one
You are going to have about 20% more pedal travel with the stock MK5 GTI master cylinder and front 18z brakes alone, you will be able to put about 20% more pressure on the brakes though vs an updated RS3 master cylinder. What the previous discussion on fluid requirements forgot to mention is this is all a trade off for pressure and ultimately a pedal feel issue.

I've driven a mk6 with just 18z fronts and the pedal was kinda low for me but felt good enough to get used to. The MK5 .:R32 and MK6 GTI/.:R came with a larger master cylinder though (Size wise its right between a stock mk5 and a RS3). You can run a .:R32 or a mk6 master cylinder as well, I have both on my bench right now and plan to spend some quality time with my power bleeder to figure out which one feels best.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Parts you will need:
Master Cylinder 8J1-611-021-E
Stud 8J0-614-783
Master Cylinder Seal 1J0-611-243

The brake fluid res on the GTI can be modified for this master cylinder but I went and got a TTS fluid res off of ebay. Should be a bolt in upgrade.

Why you may want to run one
You are going to have about 20% more pedal travel with the stock MK5 GTI master cylinder and front 18z brakes alone, you will be able to put about 20% more pressure on the brakes though vs an updated RS3 master cylinder. What the previous discussion on fluid requirements forgot to mention is this is all a trade off for pressure and ultimately a pedal feel issue.

I've driven a mk6 with just 18z fronts and the pedal was kinda low for me but felt good enough to get used to. The MK5 .:R32 and MK6 GTI/.:R came with a larger master cylinder though (Size wise its right between a stock mk5 and a RS3). You can run a .:R32 or a mk6 master cylinder as well, I have both on my bench right now and plan to spend some quality time with my power bleeder to figure out which one feels best.

How does this offering from HS compare to what you have listed, same or different? LINK

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Looks like that everything in a kit.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So, I discovered a place called rotorlab. It is a couple of guys doing nothing but selling restored/tested and painted 17z/18z calipers and Toureg rear brake calipers which are 4 piston Brembo units.

Just ordered yesterday and delivery will probably take around 6 weeks. I will chornicle the process. These guys supply the core parts and you have to order a number of parts they do not supply.

I am getting the 18z front kit that allows me to use standard Golf R/R32 345mm rotors in front and 310mm rotors in rear.

The calipers will be double coated red with Brembo logo that will have an epoxy clearcoat over it.

After speaking with Rob the owner I was really sold on what he and his partner are doing. I will say that the pricing is lower than anything I have seen anywhere. I will list all the costs below, currently they are offering a 75 dollar discount on the rear setup when you order a full front kit. As mentioned what you get from rotorlabs is not a complete kit and you do have to order a few things on your own. This includes a rear brake mounting kit and an e-brake solution. I am just waiting for confirmation on a couple pieces of information and I will post all the pieces and prices/sources. The basic cost of parts without shipping would be right at 1850. This would inlclude the aftermarket lines and mounting kit you have to order on your own and assumes you are going to retain your rear calipers to use them as a parking brake. My cost will be raised by an additional 260 for the Willwood parking brake calipers i will be using.

Anyway 1850 for full Brembo setup front and rear seems pretty darn good. So good I pulled the trigger.

Updates
1. I picked up the Wilwood parking brake calipers for 188 for both vs 260.
2. I decided to upgrade the MC and MC reservoir at a cost of 559.
3. MK32 rear brake cables (work with Wilwood e-brake calipers 55).
4. Mk32 front lines 67.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Jesus that's expensive tho. I used Fabless Manufacturing brackets for 17z rear and Wilwood and did mine for under a grand. Wilwood around the same cost, 17z @ 85 each, stripped painted and rebuilt myself so another 100-200 in paint, seals, paintgun and whatnot and then brake lines pads and rotors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion

Just got a package from rotorlab.