GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HOW TO: Perform your airbag TSB

dubbin415

GTI blues...
Car(s)
2006 Candy MKV GTI
hey guys,

I had a airbag light, and i cleared it using a VAG. It hasn't come back since. Shouldn't the the airbag light return once I start up the car? I'm *hoping* it fixed itself? Maybe? : )

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
hey guys,

I had a airbag light, and i cleared it using a VAG. It hasn't come back since. Shouldn't the the airbag light return once I start up the car? I'm *hoping* it fixed itself? Maybe? : )
Good luck with that.:wink:

I had a similar experience.
At first, the light would stay out from 1-3 weeks before returning.
It often returned after a pothole or similar impact.
After about nine months of periodically resetting the light,
it progressively got worse,
so that it would return immediately after clearing.
At that point the dealer wanted ≈$600 to repair - still needs the fix.
Did this to get rid of the constant yellow airbag light.

<pyrotech suit on>

Diabel

2007 GTI, PK 2, DSG, CW
Sorry to dig up an older thread, but after the Recall peformed by the dealer, I still have the airbag light. The dealer states it is the actual igniter. Code 01218 (Side airbag igniter on passenger site). They cleared the code but as soon as someone sits, it pops up again. Maybe possible they did it incorrectly...? Anyone experieced this? I maght actuly try to do it myself and see how they did this. Thanks.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
this tsb is really easy, for those wondering which connector it is under the seat it's the only yellow 3pin connector under there. theres a 2 pin one and a 3 pin one. the three pin one has these color wires, black, white, blue, green and brown. the way that the recall is done done is by cutting the connector off and using BUTT CONNECTORS!!! if you wonder which colors go with which, keep the connector after you cut it off and look where the wires go. you could also go to the dealer and get the wire repair kit. i dont have the p/n handy. The silicone goo keeps the moisture and all sorts of other things out, for you condesending ones who dont worry about water getting in your interior.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
At some point VW is going to have to have a major recall on this.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
At some point VW is going to have to have a major recall on this.
They already did, notification to the owners of cars in need of this by this was sent out Q1 2011.
If you did not receive notification, your car has a different setup from the factory and does not need this fix.

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
Sorry to dig up an older thread, but after the Recall peformed by the dealer, I still have the airbag light. The dealer states it is the actual igniter. Code 01218 (Side airbag igniter on passenger site). They cleared the code but as soon as someone sits, it pops up again. Maybe possible they did it incorrectly...? Anyone experieced this? I maght actuly try to do it myself and see how they did this. Thanks.

Bumping this thread once again because I'm experiencing the same problem.

The light won't go away even after clearing the codes with VCDS, and when I tried to perform the TSB myself I found out that the dealer had already did it when they changed my airbags after a crash a few years ago.

So I'm now wondering if the real problem is the igniter itself

thevic

Car(s)
07 GTI
another bump for the distant past... I seem to have this exact problem. When I pulled the seat, I didn't have the yellow connector. I have an '07 GTI cloth seats... any ideas how I fix this?

keindori

Well, the warning light came on two weeks ago on my 2006 2 door Rabbit, and it was due to the driver's side seat. So I checked underneath, and it looked like the splicing with butt connectors was done by the dealer. It must been a long time ago'cause I haven't been there since 2010 or so.

There is no fault on the passenger side, and when I checked, the connector is still there on that side.

Anyway, they added about 2 inches of patch wire, and there were 6 of those crimps with adhesive tubings. Due to the glue, wires weren't moving I pulled, so I figured I'll just try crimping them again. And I blew some air to the connectors on the floor to clean up any debris that might've gotten in there.

No luck. Warning light came right back up after clearing.

There was a post saying it might the actuator that's failing, or it could be the seatbelt wiring. Well, the easiest for me to try first was get rid of those crimps. So I snipped them off, and solder them good and heat shrink them with adhesive tubing, and tie them around old connector so they don't move around much. Maybe frequently moving seats back and forth might have loosened those patch crimps.

Well, it worked! I cleared the fault and it's staying off! I don't remember what was it like before('cause I never paid much attention before), but the airbag light goes away with a slight delay of second or so when I start the car. Maybe that's normal.

And as mentioned by OP, I turned it on, connect the battery, wait for throttle body, and do the windows reset(open and close few times) and it was all good to go. Warning light is staying off since last week. I jiggled wires few times and moved seats several times and so far so good!

So if anybody has their light came back on, follow the OP's wonderful instruction and try soldering them.