GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to clean my exhaust tips?

smoothcall

:mad0259: Im having a lot of trouble trying to find something that will clean my exhaust tips easily. Any recommendations would be very appreciated.

I use a paper towel to clean off the black soot and then use Meguiars NXL metal polish with an old cotton hand towel. Every couple of weeks is all you need - once you've used the polish a few times the soot comes off quite easily.

Still on the first tub after nearly 4 years so you don't need to use much.

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
When I was at Final Inspection two weeks ago, he said they use Power Wheel cleaner. It is absolutely brilliant stuff!

Yup PWC works wonders, if they are very sooty you might have to give them a wipe as well but its very easy.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Secret - clean on a weekly basis with mild soap and water.
Time taken 5mins.
End product spotless tips.

I just spray the tips in and out when I'm doing the wheels with wheel cleaner, a few minutes later they look like new. I have stainless tips now and it worked just as well on the standard chrome coated tips on the GTI.

Time taken 30 seconds.

Every few months after washing I use a stainless steel polish and give them a quick rub over.

JTW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
mothers have a nice aluminium+metal polish that i use.

order last 1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI Pirelli
I use Power Wheel cleaner from Final Inspection which gives me very good solution. Spray the exhaust tips and give 30 sec patience. You can see that all the black stuff just comes off. A good wipe makes it shinny as new.

badboy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK V
definately autosol was the go, the misus now using on kitchen and laundry sinks. Does anyone know where I can get the autosol buffing ball that goes on a drill from. Th emothers one isnt very good I'm told.

NahbutsGTI

EUROTHRASH
Car(s)
MkV GTI 6spd
Autosol metal polish is very good, the detailer at Audi center brisbane uses it. The other is Jif Cream a scouring pad and elbow grease...

P.S. hows the new stezza Adam?
The MFD2 works a treat!

sprayer

Car(s)
07 golf r32 3dr blk
ive got an 07 plate r32 in black and my wife has an 09 plate gti in silver and the exhaust tips are looking awfull on both cars , does anyone know how i can get all that black stuff off the tips ???

greyo8gti

I'm a good driver
Car(s)
08 GTi
Spray 'em black. That's what I did when I got tired of mine looking like shit. I dropped the whole catback and hit it with Rustoleum High Temp grill paint. Now you can't see the muffler (Milltek TBE) and the tips blend really well.
No more dirty tips.

gtiboy87

GTI ON CRACK!!
Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
Unless i have read through too fast, i am suprised that no one has mentioned Never Dull polish. That works for me. comes in a silver can and is made of a cotton like material, that stuff will take anything off including rust.