GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much worse is your winter MPG?

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
I'm trying to see how much of a drop is to be expected in the colder months. I live in Los Angeles where it hardly ever drops below 50 Fahrenheit, but noticing a significant drop. (2007 FSI, 6MT, United Motorsports stage 1 tune)

From June (when I got tuned) to end of November, I was getting almost 27 MPG. Now it's 24.7, with the latest three fill ups coming in below 23.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I guess it depends how far you travel, and what oil weight you are using. You should not see a big difference in my opinion unless you take only very short trips.

Latron

Master of oil top off
Car(s)
2015 GTI DSG
I see the same thing with my car. I get an average of 29/30 during the summer but when it drops down below 50 its around 25/26. But that also is when winter gas mix hits too so I think that's part of it. When colder you are also in open loop driving for longer and during that you run richer and I believe when cold our cars will inject multiple times causing richer fueling to heat up the cat and car faster.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
@somerset9 - Could your thermostat be stuck open? How long does it take for the car to reach operating temperature (midpoint on the temp gauge)? The ECU will feed a rich mixture until it see's temperature...

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
I don't think it's the thermostat. I do keep an eye on the coolant temp gauge. It hits quarter of the way up by the time I get to my highway on-ramp and midpoint a few minutes thereafter, as it had always done.

The 3 fuel-ups where it was mostly 2+ hours on the highway were 28 MPG or so, so I don't think it's terribly off, just a function of the engine spending more time outside its optimal temp range and winter fuel mix.

nicholasn

Pretty mild winter here in NC. Since I bought it, I've seen 33-36 mpg at a 60 mph cruise when driving moderately. However, I've gotten some of its main issues sorted out, and I have been driving it harder lately. Fuel economy has suffered a bit (only getting 25-28 mpg) but it's a lot more enjoyable to drive.