GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How is Timing Set on our motors

stuck24

so?
Car(s)
GTI FSI
hey all,

dealership changed timing belt/ tensioner 1 month ago under warranty for cricket-chirping noise.
Ever since I've noticed a shift in the powerband. Power comes on a bit earlier and levels off a bit earlier....

I remember advancing the timing on my old Miata in order to gain a bit more oomph in the lower rpm band.

Do you think the service techs could have inadvertently advanced timing? How is timing set on our modern motors?
I've also noticed a slight pinging (stones in metal can noise) when on full throttle with the a/c on....

all help and thoughts appreciated.... before I take it to dealership...

Chris@RT

Banned
There is ignition timing and cam/crank timing.

Both will change the power band, if you changed your miata timing via adjustable cam gears then it would be the cam/crank timing you changed.

If you changed the timing based on moving the distributor then you adjusted the ignition timing which is done 100% electronically on these cars.

The first scenario is what would be similar to them putting your belt on one tooth off. This can change the power band but generally on these later cars since they have crank and cam positions sensors even being 1 tooth off with throw a code and put a check engine light on. One tooth usually isn't enough to bend valves but it can happen. I'd really say if you don't have a code then the belt is on right.

Midwest Hick

verrUcktVW
Car(s)
Candy White GTI
hey all,

dealership changed timing belt/ tensioner 1 month ago under warranty for cricket-chirping noise.
Ever since I've noticed a shift in the powerband. Power comes on a bit earlier and levels off a bit earlier....

I remember advancing the timing on my old Miata in order to gain a bit more oomph in the lower rpm band.

Do you think the service techs could have inadvertently advanced timing? How is timing set on our modern motors?
I've also noticed a slight pinging (stones in metal can noise) when on full throttle with the a/c on....

all help and thoughts appreciated.... before I take it to dealership...

you had that work done under warranty??? how bad did urs get ? mine does it at every new startup and when i dont drive it for a while?

stuck24

so?
Car(s)
GTI FSI
you had that work done under warranty??? how bad did urs get ? mine does it at every new startup and when i dont drive it for a while?

you need to take it in and let them hear the noise.... you have to have the car ice cold... you may have to leave the car there over night and tell them that many folk here have had their TB and tensioner/ and even cover repalced under warranty...

stuck24

so?
Car(s)
GTI FSI
There is ignition timing and cam/crank timing.

Both will change the power band, if you changed your miata timing via adjustable cam gears then it would be the cam/crank timing you changed.

If you changed the timing based on moving the distributor then you adjusted the ignition timing which is done 100% electronically on these cars.

The first scenario is what would be similar to them putting your belt on one tooth off. This can change the power band but generally on these later cars since they have crank and cam positions sensors even being 1 tooth off with throw a code and put a check engine light on. One tooth usually isn't enough to bend valves but it can happen. I'd really say if you don't have a code then the belt is on right.

yes... so, I guess I can tell the dealer to check ignition via some electronic gizmo??? My biggest fear is the pinging noise at full load w/ a/c... thanks for yer help

nitroscope8

Ready to race!
If anything was messed up the cel would have come on. Ignition timing is NOT adjustable on these cars. It's computer controlled. So unless you paid for a chip tune such as apr or revo, the timing is set the same from when it rolled off the assembly line.