GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How are your motors holding up to high mileage?

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer
I just want to start by saying I'm floored that I just did a compression test on my '06 FSI motor with 165K miles on it, with all the mods you see in my signature since 110K, and I came out with...

190/180/185/190

I was so blown away to see so little lost in so many miles that I did it again, and still saw the same numbers. With such good numbers, I don't think I'm going to even bother with a re-ring when I do my rods.

So after all these years and miles, what are you all seeing?

zeeMkv

09' stock with 109k. Just had to replace the throttle body... and my stock wheel cracked. Other than that, great! It's my DD, but pretty happy with my ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RalleyTuned

Car(s)
Audi A3
Hey guys he said HIGH miles :p

My A3 had 192k when the timing belt broke when the dealership the PO used didn't do the timing belt when he dropped the car off for "all the scheduled timing related maintanence". Aside from that it never burned a drop of oil and didn't have any major issues.

I rebuilt the bottom end and put a new head on, and am about 10k on the new internals, still on the origional trans, turbo, hpfp, etc.

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer
Perhaps I should mention the issues the car has had over its life...car has tons of work done, but these were "unexpected".

-practically nothing but regular maintenance until 110K.

-110K original K03 turbo worn out, replaced with K04

-130K, too much play in motor mounts, both replaced

-130K, excessive wear on cam follower lobe lead to replacement of intake cam. Replaced exhaust cam too, due to slight wear.

-160K, K04 turbo found to have too much shaft play. Ordered a new CHRA and rebuilt the turbo successfully.

-Current, bit of oil burn (likely stem seals), couple of minor oil leaks (nothing on garage floor, but can be seen staining engine).

Planning to pull the motor this summer to install IE rods, replace all seals and gaskets, and inspect/replace internals as necessary. DSG trans is rock solid with original clutch with no slippage even after 50K on K04.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
150k on my 06 GTI racecar, only major repair done was rebuilt head at 90k due to a recall for the intake camshaft. Just had them do the whole head while they were in there. In retrospect, I should have built the head then since all labor was on VW. Original trans, turbo and block with zero issues so far. One very very minor oil seep from the vac pump housing seal. Got about 25k track miles on it and still going strong. Shows what 3k oil changes and basic maintenence does.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
155k miles on my 2007.
At 58k miles I added the K04 and everything that required.
At 63k miles the HPFP w/upgrade, cam follower, and intake cam were replaced because I thought a new cam follower was installed at 58k but the tech reinstalled the original CF. Luckily they covered it under the warranty extension.
At 120k miles it began to smoke and the head was removed and rebuilt. But also there was found that a ring was stuck in the #4 piston...so the #4 piston, all rings and rod bearings were replaced as well.
At 154k miles, earlier this year, I replaced the thermostat, LPFP, injectors, fuel pressure sensors, and LPFP control module. Just because wanting it all refreshed. It also was requesting just 110 bar of fuel pressure in the rail rather than the 140 the file normally does (and this was corrected by doing all of that). I also replaced the oil filter housing...because its seals were leaking and why not give it a new housing which comes with new seals.
Next year I plan on replacing the K04 because it will have 99k miles on it by then, and it smokes when I go full throttle and boost now.

I see one of you above is planning on replacing/upgrading rods without replacing the rings....I suggest new rings. You're there and it is apart, so take care of it while you have the access.

doc280

Ready to race!
225,000 miles, stock and still running strong. No oil leaks, no oil burning, no check engine lights, however she has racked up a few additional dents and scratches.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
210k miles, stock, running well and longlife serviced it's whole life (20k intervals), except the last 25k since I own it (10k intervals with LL oil). Burns around 1 quart of oil every 5k in 5W-30.

Last edited:

TSMILEY

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'08 GTi
My old 2006 GLI had 370,111 miles on all original engine, trans, and even original turbo when the camshaft tensioner failed and destroyed the engine. It only used 2 quarts between 5k oil changes. The head had never been off that car. I put a used, 60k engine in it, and sold the car to get my GTi. It is still on the road with over 400k on the odometer at this point!

vwengineer

Ready to race!
My old 2006 GLI had 370,111 miles on all original engine, trans, and even original turbo when the camshaft tensioner failed and destroyed the engine. It only used 2 quarts between 5k oil changes. The head had never been off that car. I put a used, 60k engine in it, and sold the car to get my GTi. It is still on the road with over 400k on the odometer at this point!
Now that's impressing 😳
You mean the cam chain tensioner or the timing belt tensioner failed?

TSMILEY

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'08 GTi
Camshaft chain tensioner. 2006 GLI has an FSI engine.

Fsuroxu

I have 184,000 on an 08 GTI. Still my daily and I drive it over 200 miles a day. She was perfect until a deer hit me last Friday night...Im so pissed!!

TSMILEY

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'08 GTi
My '08 GTi is currently at 140k. I installed APR KO4 at approx. 120k. DSG transmission was replaced under warranty extension at 95k.