GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Home theater

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
Well we recently bought a home theater system with polk audio speakers and sub with a yamaha 7.2 reciever. Now i set it all up and everything and its great, but my mom doesnt like it :( She thinks its to bulky for our room which is not that big. So basically im lookin for smaller speakers and a sub that will fit perfectly behind out tv like a rectangle sub.

Now i found a bose system that looks good on paper and im sure my mom would approve, but the question is it good. Its those small cube speakers by bose.

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...ome_theater_speakers/acoustimass_10/index.jsp

what do u guys think?

krische

vdubber in training
I've heard those in a BOSE store before. They can be pretty mighty for being small.

Mr645

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 R32
Put something together with the Polk RM speakers and a sub. Nice, small, not to expensive and sound a lot better then those tiny Bose cubes. Or if yo ureally want ultra small

Soundware XS 5.1 fro m Boston Acoustics

utekineir

Banned
Bose isn't awful but it isn't worth the money they charge.

I have an aunt that works for bose for the last 15 or so years, so every year shes pushing the employee holiday sale on everyone in the family. I have an ancient 2 speaker lifestyle system thats great used just for music, and there have been a couple of the 5.1 lifestyle systems we've had. They aren't bad, but in no way are they worth retail. In a nutshell bose is form over function. They're kinda like the apple of stereo, except apple makes better products.

I recently built a home theater for my mothers house based around
http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD65-720p-Theater-Projector/dp/B000XOKZ8U
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-1019AH-K-7-Channel-Receiver-Black/dp/B001UADEPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246631929&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-MCS100MDNT-5-1-Channel-System/dp/B000W9DO7U

Without tweaking a thing the sound quality was instantly better than the older lifestyle bose system it replaced. Plus the total cost for projector, receiver, speakers, accessories and whatnot came in well under 2k. A bose system alone at retail is $2k+, and the capabilities of the pioneer receiver absolutely outshine the bose.

The onkyo home theater in a box systems are reviewed pretty well also, but their speakers aren't the most appealing visually or size wise.
But if money isn't a big issue, and your demands sound quality and capability wise arent high, bose can work and look nice.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
Not a fan of Bose personally.

What kind of budget are you working with?

You will not find better speakers for the dollar than www.axiomaudio.com. You'll pay a little more and will need a receiver, but it's stuff that will last you years and years.

I just received five speakers myself yesterday

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
meh, bose sucks. nothing like having a subwoofer and a tweeter cover full range sound. no mids FTL

gti2008

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Boston Acoustics is WAY better than Bose. What you lose in size you're going to make up for in the money you save anyways... Just do some research, see what best fits what you need. If you have a smaller room there's absolutely no need to go overboard. Hell, even keep the set-up you have now, and just be cleaver and think of a way to mount the speakers.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
our budget is around 1500, but the less the better. I wouldnt be buying a bose reciever for sure, i think we are gonna keep the reciver we have, yamaha vx665 something like that. We have a polk audio set up right now which is great, but then to big for our room, according to my mom haha. Ill search around, thanks for the help

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
wow, you gotta quip. nevermind that you can't afford good shit :rolleyes:

I use a $200 Sony Soundbar for my bedroom speakers and they sound fine. I know the difference between good and not so good, and mine is the latter - but who the hell have I got to impress?

I do agree that Bose is overpriced for what you get, and you would be better off with polk audio.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
I know this is old. But...

Soundware XS 5.1 fro m Boston Acoustics

I just bought and installed a set of these this weekend. My father has a Blose 'home theater in a box' setup. Everytime I think about what he paid for that setup I get light headed. The Bostons are definitely form over function, no doubts about it. But they stack up favorably to the blose.. and completely smoke it on price-point.

I say do anything but the blose. The Bostons are a good choice.