Any proper data logging, with code reading, tool will help you immensely. I use VAG-COM/VCDS...but if you decide on another, you will want it to log live data and not just read codes. One that just reads codes will leave others you ask for help to guess at the solution when live data you can see would help more. Also, any time you post up a list of error/fault codes, please include the mileage stamps for each code. Many times people will post a list of more than four codes and no accompanying mileage stamps. Usually it is the first code that is the issue and the rest are resultant to the first.I got my 08 last year, but am currently at 300K KM ~ 180K miles. As far as I can tell, it still has the original drivetrain including the clutch and turbo which are still going strong. The car was mostly driven on the highway, but it was neglected when I got it.
I got the following work done when I bought it:
- Complete timing belt + waterpump, and timing chain tensioner.
- New valve cover gasket
- Cam follower replaced
- replaced all coils and plugs and diverter valve, but still had a bad misfire
- PCV replaced, but misfire was still present.
- Ended up doing a full intake cleaning along with replacing an injector which finally resolved the misfire.
- Full set of brakes
- VW Rust warranty replaced hood and front part of rockers.
The car does burn some oil, but nothing too crazy. My plan is to try and put as much mileage as possible on this car to see how far I can take it.