GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Highest mileage on a FSI?

dragosdor

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2011 WRX hatch
Guys,
My '06 GLI has reached 70k and this for me is the "start looking for a replacement" message. Mentally, I think that anything 80k and up is trouble maker from VW. I still have extended warranty until 100k, but I also wanted to ask: WHO HAS THE HIGHEST MILEAGE ON A FSI? And what problems have you encountered in this mileage range?
Anyone reaching 120-150k? What known costly problems did u encounter?
I am maintaining my car with regular 7-10k oil changes and follow the maintenance schedule.
I am heavy footed on gas and what really worries me is that at 35k I could drive 300 miles on a tank. Now, at 70k, I can barely reach 250. That is worrying!!

Sounds like you already have a problem. I'm now at 70k (after a 6k round trip to WF16 and back), and I still get 350+ miles a tank driving like i stole the car. How modded are you? I'd say that if you're not Stg2+ and you've done regular mantenance (and fixed known problems like PCV, DV, etc), you're FSI should run well into the 100k range.

-FF

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I am at around 61k miles, with no major mechanical problems to date. As far as mileage I get between 350-400 miles per tank with a combination of mostly highway, some city driving, APR stage 1. The car still runs well, pulls hard and hasn't given me any hassles outside of regular maintenance. I don't see why this car couldn't run into the 150k + range if you stay on top of regular maintenance?

BigT

Dont worry about the LAW
Car(s)
07 GTI
75k stage 2+

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
106,154 miles here. No major problems other than the follower being punched threw. But that was due to my neglect (and VW's of course). New APR pump, follower and stage 2+ tune and riding gravy.. For now at least lol.

Ill be doing the timing belt, clutch, new injectors and getting valves cleaned all at once within the next 10-15k miles.

Regarding your gas mileage, when was the last time your fuel filter was changed?

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Man, I would hope a modern engine like this would run into the multiple 100k range! Of course, I dont have any evidence to supporr that wish :)

At 33k miles, I can get almost 400 miles on a tank, mostly highway thou

kevvve

TÜ MÄDR3
Im at 114k stage 1... Had the turbo, camshaft, hpfp, and lifters all replaced 4k miles ago due to a frucked cam follower. I was the second owner got the car at 80k bought a warranty which took care of the repairs. Just maintain the car(fluid changes, tune ups etc) and it'll be fine

Sudu420

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 gti mkv
i got 83k on my FSI which i bought with 67k.. in the first 16k i have replaced wastegate, timingbelt, cam follower, pcv, dv, and i still need to replace camshaft, intake manifold runner control flap thing, and my intake valves are really dirty which im currently fixing with some fuel system cleaner which has been working well.. for now at least..
btw my pcv was just blocked off at both ends and it took me months to know that it was missing cause i didnt know enough about the engine at first.. the car was repoed of the previous owner which leads me to believe he didnt take care of it which is why i have had so many problems.. but im dealing with it and getting her into good shape to run for a long long time (i hope)

dragosdor

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2011 WRX hatch
Thanks for these helpful replies. I am currently at REVO stage 1 with an intake. Once I bought the car, at 35k, I took care of fuel filter, spark plugs, air/cabin filter, oil, then DSG at...45k (I think).
The idle has always been rough, it sounds like a diesel, with metallic lifters sound.
Car pulls...okay, but now I have reasons to believe some injectors are cutting off, since it has hickups while heavy accel. I also heard a ticking noise after a U turn and heavy accel.
So at 250 miles/tank (70city-30 highway) I definitely have a problem.
Even when I drive mostly highway, now I am getting 280-300miles.

macq

Car(s)
vw
Like a lot said above, maintain it properly, oil, tune up, filters, etc and you will be fine, those engines should hold up till 200k without any major work.

Im at 55k, nothing big I know. Im a 2nd owner, APR Stg2, intake, exhaust, stock hpfp and pcv, not sure about dv, but I haven't had any problems with it, no fuel cuts, boost leaks, runing about 320 to 360 miles a tank of 93oct.

piston

Options
Thanks for these helpful replies. I am currently at REVO stage 1 with an intake. Once I bought the car, at 35k, I took care of fuel filter, spark plugs, air/cabin filter, oil, then DSG at...45k (I think).
The idle has always been rough, it sounds like a diesel, with metallic lifters sound.
Car pulls...okay, but now I have reasons to believe some injectors are cutting off, since it has hickups while heavy accel. I also heard a ticking noise after a U turn and heavy accel.

1. Have you checked your Cam Follower lately?

2. You might want to pull the plugs to make sure they are getting a clean burn.

3. IIRC, the fuel filter should be replaced every 25-30K miles. I perosnally do mine once a year(every 15K miles).

Also, if you plan on keeping the car, I would look into getting the timing belt replaced.

macq

Car(s)
vw
So at 250 miles/tank (70city-30 highway) I definitely have a problem. Even when I drive mostly highway, now I am getting 280-300miles.

Your driving style matters a lot here, especially when you're tuned. Im getting really poor mpgs when Im pushing it, just couple of days ago I went crousing and had some fun on a highway, burned 1/4 of a tank in about 2hrs..

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI

Its already been mentioned, but these symptoms aren't necessarily a sign that your engine is about to experience catastrophic failure lol...

At one point I had hesitation on accel above 4k rpms similar to what you're describing. It got to the point where I actually threw a code for misfires on cylinder 4. I replaced all my plugs, and sure enough the gap on the plug that came out of cyl 4 had opened up.

If you haven't replaced your plugs since 45k and you're at 75k, you're due for replacement anyways.

dragosdor

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2011 WRX hatch
Ok, so...fuel filter, spark plugs ad new cam follower. I will do these asap and let you know. It will take a while since the baby needs to go in the body shop for a fender fix.
DV was replaced with latest revision at around 40k and pcv...I had a BSH race catch can and I was not "catching anything". That made me think my engine is not spitting up that much. I only filled the can after 10k miles in 3 months. I know, I drive a lot average 30-35k/year.