GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High mileage MKVers - how has it been?

Mrthemike

Ready to race!
I've had my 09 GTI since the fall of 2008. Currently I have 130,000 miles on it. It's been running OK in the past with some minor issues, but right now i've run into a potentially expensive problem ($2k+ ABS module).

I am curious to hear experiences from those of you with high mileage MKV's.

How are they doing for you? At what point do you call it and try to sell/trade?
How close am I to running into a slew of expensive problems? I know this is a hard questions to answer but I would be curious about some anecdotal feedback from those of you with high mileage vehicles. I'm at a point now where I might still be able to get some value out of a trade-in, but obviously if I hang on to the vehicle I can potentially squeeze more life out of this thing.

Thoughts?

Just rolled 101k.

My gas mileage is trash at 24combined on my normal day to day route while driving like a grandma at operating temps. If I do highway only, I'm getting ~27mpg. I'm just running very rich for no apparent reason which is confirmed by the nice gas smell I have after I've parked. Not the coils or plugs either since I had all 4 of each replaced at 90k

07 but I've been on top of cam follower maintenance so that's fine. Had TB replaced under warranty at 40k so I'm looking at doing my 80k maintenance at 120k. 80k, I only did DSG fluid.

Cold starts were awful last winter where the car would juke forward even in neutral. I believe this may have been the oil I was using because on equally cold mornings this year after changing to Mobil1 0W-40, the starts are fine.

A few months ago, the key sensor in the ignition had dirt seize it in place where I could not get my key in. Had that fixed and haven't had any issues since.

Otherwise, the car is structurally and electrically sound. I'm dying to get rid of it though. I just know it's not worth much since it was in a reported accident where I had to get a new rear bumper and hatch as well as an unreported accident where my FIL backed into the passenger side bumper where there are some repaired but still visible scratches.

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
I'm not really as high mileage as the OP, I'm at 85K and it runs like a dream (knock on wood). I've done regular maintained, had DSG changed twice, manual carbon clean, replaced suspension just a week or so ago and no issues what so ever.

I did have the ABS Module fail over the summer but it's been fine since and I drive it pretty hard. I'm holding out that there will be a recall for that issue but not sure.

To answer your question have no idea when the "tipping" point is. I'd think you are losing value everyday to trade into a dealer. These cars will always have some value in the cult market.

I say keep her alive until the wheels fall off.......

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I agree. Have you actually checked on the trade in value?? I went in with 115k and I had to haggle to get $6000. Your car is higher miles and in the rust belt, so unless you have your eye on something I would ride it out.

Corgon

Ready to race!
From 130k to 145k it's been smooth sailing for me. The only major thing I've had to replace is some fuel pressure something (can't remember honestly) in the front. It was a 40 dollar piece that got stuck open. I don't see myself trading this car in as it's got no value now that I've modded it (and now especially that it's got a salvage title)

Mrthemike

Ready to race!
I'd probably be really happy to get 5k out of it. I'm starting to think I just hold on to it a little bit longer. I might just have to shell out the cash to fix the ABS module.

michail77

Go Kart Champion
I just traded mine in with 140K for only $2,100. I could have done better parting it out but it had transmission, subframe and interior upholstery issues.

I was looking around at least $3,000 in repairs and decided to trade in as it was my only transportation.

Mrthemike

Ready to race!
I just traded mine in with 140K for only $2,100. I could have done better parting it out but it had transmission, subframe and interior upholstery issues.

I was looking around at least $3,000 in repairs and decided to trade in as it was my only transportation.

What sort of tranny issues? I'm assuming a subframe clunk as well? What'd you trade it in for?

A1an

Hellafunctional
Seen plenty of reports of GTIs in the high 100k range with minimal work done. I'd hang onto it. I've been in similar situations with my Rabbit but at the end of the day it is paid off and I can't find anything to replace it that wouldn't need a lot of work and/or has a questionable service history (I'd be lucky to get $3k for my 152k mile Rabbit and it is in great condition).

michail77

Go Kart Champion
What sort of tranny issues? I'm assuming a subframe clunk as well? What'd you trade it in for?

Yes, there was some sort of unnerving clunk. I wasn't sure if it was the subframe of the flywheel making the clunk. But mechanics seemed puzzled by the subframe.

I traded it for a 2013 Mercedes C250. Guess I had to stay German. :) So far I really love the Benz.

Unfortunately, the car doesn't really have any tuning options. I think there isn't enough potential to unlock in the engine to make it worth the tuners efforts.

I passed on the C300, which can be tuned but is 4WD. I don't need 4WD.

The C350s are RWD but only seem to come in tan/wood trim interiors. In my 40's I feel like I'm too young for that look, lol.

I wanted to like the BMW 3 series but for some reason just couldn't. On paper it's supposed to be a better car.

In the end the handling, ride and fuel efficiency was hard to beat. The C250 comes stock with handling that feels the way I always wanted my MKV to feel.

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
Mine is at 103k now. Drive about 102 miles a day for work.

Purchased as a CPO at 62k.

Obviously I'm unaware of maintenance for the first 62k miles of its life, but since I've had pretty minimal work done.

Had a misfire the dealer diagnosed as a faulty injector and replaced under CPO warranty.

Had the A/C go out within the last 300 miles of CPO warranty. Dealer replaced entire A/C system; compressor, expansion valve, condenser, etc.

Replaced the driver side outer CV boot.

Other than that normal maintenance, oil changes, new cam follower every other oil change. Just recently did the brakes. Planning on a carbon cleaning and RFD install this Spring.

I plan on getting well past 200k out of my GLI.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Only thing that killed my 06' GLI at 180k was a random deer. But I didn't wanna deal with another timing belt and other shit. R32 replaced that, runs great at 150k+ now. The "high miles" kind are cheap to get and easy to payoff. ALL vehicles (even brand new pos Japanese) have problems, new ones are more expensive to deal with/insure ect.

lnghrngti

Ready to race!
My car has been through a lot to say the least. I bought my car with 14 miles in 2007, currently at 180k miles. She has survived an over-rev (9300 rpms, bent valves - needed head rebuilt), flooding, getting broken into, and my transmission gave out at 110k. My AC compressor recently gave out and had to get that and the condenser replaced.

I've been K04'd since 100k, and running water meth injection since 80k.

After all my car's been though, it's still hauling ass and will keep it as long as I can. Best daily beater ever... versatile, efficient (still get ~29 mpg hwy), and most importantly... a blast to drive!

Last edited: