GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

high level brake light failure :(

Pav90

4motion for the mandem!
Been out for a few months now, looking at the light itself there is no cracks but some obvious condensation and black (what I'm guessing is mould) settling at the bottom of the light.

Ive been on to VW to complain as the US market have a 10 year warranty on this and basically it is a massive design flaw but have been told there is nothing i can do and that i must book my car in for diagnosis (£51) and to replace the light will be approx £400.

I feel a bit let down to be honest, this is my 3rd VW and all my family own vw's as we trust them but this is a bit of a joke. The light is LED so it 'lasts the life of the car' and the reason the water gets in is because of the rear washer jet. Then they make it almost impossible to change yourself (unless you own a body shop)...this is something i would expect from renault, not vw.

Anyway, enough ranting, I have bought the part and I'm going to try and do it myself by breaking out the old light (I've seen a write-up somewhere on here). It not ideal but I'm not wasting £400 on something so simple as a brake light change.

Sorry for the long-winded rant, just needed to write it all down!

_adam_

Stig's Apprentice
yes - fit it yourself. bust up the old one (careful with the spoiler, and fasten the old one in its place and SEAL IT

Pav90

4motion for the mandem!
Thats the exact one I used mate cheers, took half an hour and saved me £366. Really easy to do, but scary at first though. If anyone in the north west needs a hand doing it let me know and I'll be happy to help!