GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Gas prices

RIP335

Go Kart Champion
i'm just waiting for the US to start making better decisions in regards to recycling nuclear "waste". Every other country is recycling their waste while the US just collects this 70% useful material that can be reused.

Here is how i would like to see it
Nuclear power - > more electricity - > more electric ways of transportation - > saves me some money - some money goes towards GTI :laugh:

No I think their saving it to ultimately wipe out everything and everyone on the planet.

Is it the swiss that use human waste and recycle it to produce useful energy for powering peoples homes, etc?

GTAye1

Ready to race!
here is a conspiracy theory to think about.

government stills owns most of GM
GM designed and is trying to produce the epic failure volt
the government needs the volt to sell
just a thought....

remember the last time oil went this high? everyone and there sister shit the bed and promised to buy a hybrid. Demand slowed, and inventories rose, and the cost went down.

the whole idea of expensive oil right now is based on speculation that the war in libya will someone put a strain on inventory (there is an excess right now) and thus the demand will be greater than what is being produced. this is nonsense because we do not even use libean oil. I feel this is nothing but fear mongering at its best. Using any random excuse to raise the price of oil.

Oil is not sustainable at the current price, it will come down. watch.

Actually the whole issue about the lack of electric cars on the roads can be attributed to a lack of supply, not a lack of demand. There's tons of articles online that describes the situation.

GTAye1

Ready to race!
dude, seriously? people are still actually asking if you can run 87 in these cars? it says 91 right on the inside of the gas cap. turbo engine. VW isn't 'in on it' with the oil companies so you'll pay more money for gas. you run any less than 91 and youre engine will hate you.

What he said. You'll get less mileage and worse performance. You'll be paying the same anyway so might as well get the good stuff.

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
Actually the whole issue about the lack of electric cars on the roads can be attributed to a lack of supply, not a lack of demand. There's tons of articles online that describes the situation.

Ah yes, the cyclical supply and demand bell curve, the inelastic value of necessities, like gas, I tell ya, XES for long and swing SQQQ :) I'm becoming such a bear....:yikes:

krische

vdubber in training
What he said. You'll get less mileage and worse performance. You'll be paying the same anyway so might as well get the good stuff.

Agreed. I saw a 1-2 mpg drop on the highway between 93 and 91. I can't imagine how bad of mileage using 87 would get.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Has anyone seen the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car"?

We killed the electric car.
We the buying public.
Not the oil companies, or anyone else.

No One wanted an expensive, slow, range compromized vehicle sporting all new technology.
Not when gas was cheap, and affordable, reliable, well known gas powered cars would work fine thank you.
What would be the point?
You couldn't give them away.

Even now, with the Volt having come light years from GM's earlier EV, and delivering essentially what the EV promised - it's still a tough sell.
The Volt is impressive and may indeed be the wave of the future, or probably more accurately - it will represent a segment of the future of the automotive market.
But... It's expensive compared to the gas engined cars it competes against.
Those who buy one still have to put their faith in new, complicated systems with no track record of reliability.
Charging times are still long, and what about City dwellers?
Where are apartment dwellers with alternate side of the street parking going to plug their Volt in?
That's what killed the Electric Car.

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
No I think their saving it to ultimately wipe out everything and everyone on the planet.

Is it the swiss that use human waste and recycle it to produce useful energy for powering peoples homes, etc?

human waste? brilliant! i heard that some farms are powered by cow crap. that's brilliant too! wait a few years and i bet there will be some big changes

CMD

Ready to race!
We killed the electric car.
We the buying public.
Not the oil companies, or anyone else.

No One wanted an expensive, slow, range compromized vehicle sporting all new technology.
Not when gas was cheap, and affordable, reliable, well known gas powered cars would work fine thank you.
What would be the point?
You couldn't give them away.

Even now, with the Volt having come light years from GM's earlier EV, and delivering essentially what the EV promised - it's still a tough sell.
The Volt is impressive and may indeed be the wave of the future, or probably more accurately - it will represent a segment of the future of the automotive market.
But... It's expensive compared to the gas engined cars it competes against.
Those who buy one still have to put their faith in new, complicated systems with no track record of reliability.
Charging times are still long, and what about City dwellers?
Where are apartment dwellers with alternate side of the street parking going to plug their Volt in?
That's what killed the Electric Car.

Really? Really????

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Really? Really????

Yes, really. No one wanted an expensive electric car in the 80's and 90's when gas was under $1/gallon, it didn't make sense, so plans were scrapped.

Now the cars are out, and the volt is still very expensive compared to cheaper alternatives, electric (Leaf) or gas.

dibblet

Ready to race!
Electric cars seem to not be the answer to me, know how much of our nation's electricity is produced by...gas?

Yeah, a lot...
now if we turned to nuclear power we'd be heading in the right direction and electric cars would be better imo.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I think i'd save more money buying a moped or a fuel efficient motor bike than an electric car. If the weather is bad, i'll bring out the gti.

But then you have to ask yourself, how much does the moped or bike cost. How long will it take you to recoup that cost in fuel savings?

If fuel rises $1.50 a gallon it takes about 11 gallons to fill up that's $16.50 more per tank. That is $858 a year if you fill up once per week. Factor in the operating costs of the bike or moped (insurance, maintenance etc.) how many years will it take before you're actually saving money? And you're stuck riding a moped instead of the beloved GTI.

roksax

turbo lover
One of the reasons I bought this car was the good gas mileage. The only sporty hatch that does better is the mini cooper, and that thing is just too small for me, plus I hate the interior.

I'm not too worried about gas prices. I'm happy getting pretty good gas mileage and paying what it costs. It is a bummer that the higher prices will make my road trips more expensive, though.

On a separate note, I don't think it's a great idea to make oil so easy to trade on the market, as it's speculation that drives these wild price swings.