GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Gas prices

BSosa2492

Ready to race!
thank god i got a gti instead of a f150

jamesgti1

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it the swiss that use human waste and recycle it to produce useful energy for powering peoples homes, etc?

The swiss and the french are well known for using "anaerobic digestors" for years to power small communities, almost entirely on food waste and excrement. The US Dairy industry is real big on the whole thing to. pretty interesting stuff.

Stevec717

Ready to race!
I'm glad for the MFI Display. At least by playing games, trying to see how high I can get the mileage, it gives me something to do. Otherwise I'd be on it constantly and sucking down gas. At least with my mileage game, my "outburst" are brief and followed by some mellow driving to get the MPG's back up.

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
Well to most people in the world the Americans pay the least on gas compared to the rest of us. Aren't we all glad we got VW's and not Hummers lol. I'll take my prices here in Canada compared to what they get charged in Europe.

Stevec717

Ready to race!
Let's not forget that a big chunk of our $/gal price goes to TAXES!:mad:

NY is one of the highest in the nation at $.32+ a gallon (close race with Wisconsin)

They keep raising them for "roadway improvements" but nothing seems to get better. Money just goes into the general fund, then there's not enough left to keep the roads in good shape. Just like the toll boths installed on the NY Thruway that were only supposed to be there 5-10 years until it was paid for. 40 years later......

Taxes are like Heroin for politicians - once a tax gets started, it just can't stop. It can go up, but seldom down.

We need to get our collective "heads out of the sand" as a country and have a real energy policy. We won't drill because we're worried about environmental impact, but we're willing to have our oil supply held hostage by some third world dictatorship? We have oil reserves. More than enough for 50-100 years. We need to get busy getting it out of the ground. We won't drill off the coast of Florida - but guess what....China will!:mad0259:

What was the question?..........Oh yeah, boy those gas prices are going up!

Steve

makelja

Passed Driver's Ed
High taxes is what drives the high cost in your country.

True, but the prices are still high. And also it seems that every time when the world market of fuels change the distributors either have empty tanks when it is going up or full of the old priced when it goes down. I mean that if the price is going up it goes directly to the pump price if going down it takes ages to get to the pumps.

MofoG23

Ready to race!
Let's not forget that a big chunk of our $/gal price goes to TAXES!:mad:

NY is one of the highest in the nation at $.32+ a gallon (close race with Wisconsin)

They keep raising them for "roadway improvements" but nothing seems to get better. Money just goes into the general fund, then there's not enough left to keep the roads in good shape. Just like the toll boths installed on the NY Thruway that were only supposed to be there 5-10 years until it was paid for. 40 years later......

Taxes are like Heroin for politicians - once a tax gets started, it just can't stop. It can go up, but seldom down.

We need to get our collective "heads out of the sand" as a country and have a real energy policy. We won't drill because we're worried about environmental impact, but we're willing to have our oil supply held hostage by some third world dictatorship? We have oil reserves. More than enough for 50-100 years. We need to get busy getting it out of the ground. We won't drill off the coast of Florida - but guess what....China will!:mad0259:

What was the question?..........Oh yeah, boy those gas prices are going up!

Steve

ahhhh....voice of reason. Too many times I am reminded that I must be in the minority when viewed within the VW community.

I'm surprised to see many comments regarding the high price of oil and that they think we should pay more per gallon. Huh!?!? Please explain that one to me! If you want to pay more, feel free to leave the change next time your at the pump paying for your tank of fuel...

Most of the people who make that claim have a very short commute and seem to forget that high gas prices will inflate the price on just about every product out there...being a regional manager of a very large service organization with about 250 technicians (who have company vehicles), I can tell you the extra $$$ is passed directly to our customer who in turn passes it on to you. Just about every company does this...

Bottom line - oil is our life blood of this country. Until we have a true replacement to fossil fuels, we need to keep our energy costs in line - increasing the price on oil is not the best way to reduce consumption - provide a better replacement then you will see a reduction in use. Why force people to use a less than desirable replacement by driving up the cost of the better product/tool that will keep this country moving in right direction...especially with our economy in its current state....

Last edited:

Manheim81c

Go Kart Champion
ahhhh....voice of reason. Too many times I am reminded that I must be in the minority when viewed within the VW community.

I'm surprised to see many comments regarding the high price of oil and that they think we should pay more per gallon. Huh!?!? Please explain that one to me! If you want to pay more, feel free to leave the change next time your at the pump paying for your tank of fuel...

Most of the people who make that claim have a very short commute and seem to forget that high gas prices will inflate the price on just about every product out there...being a regional manager of a very large service organization with about 250 technicians (who have company vehicles), I can tell you the extra $$$ is passed directly to our customer who in turn passes it on to you. Just about every company does this...

Bottom line - oil is our life blood of this country. Until we have a true replacement to fossil fuels, we need to keep our energy costs in line - increasing the price on oil is not the best way to reduce consumption - provide a better replacement then you will see a reduction in use. Why force people to use a less than desirable replacement by driving up the cost of the better product/tool that will keep this country moving in right direction...especially with our economy in its current state....

I see you have a Fusion and a GTI which one is better on gas? :iono:

It's usually a small car and a truck/SUV combo...

Bender1

Banned
ya... but they don't commute for 25-30 miles a day. If they do, they take their frickin trains.

We aren't set up for this... it actually impacts our spending.

Not in Europe but I do commute like that. 35 miles EACH way so approximately 70 miles each day.

This means a tank and a half a week. Total impact of $5 gas would be about an extra $2k a year in fuel costs on top of my current costs. Guess what? I still think that fuel is too cheap.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Oil dropped a bit so gas prices should plummet about 8 cents; everyone can rest easy.

:(

McQueen77

Banned
Not in Europe but I do commute like that. 35 miles EACH way so approximately 70 miles each day.

This means a tank and a half a week. Total impact of $5 gas would be about an extra $2k a year in fuel costs on top of my current costs. Guess what? I still think that fuel is too cheap.

godamn man, i do your weekly mileage in about a month sometimes if im just driving around l.a. and to work and back (work is 6 miles away) and i'm still bitching about gas non stop. on a side note I was happy to find the cheapest gas in LA thus far today. Some no name place on Mission Rd. and Griffith st. (highland park/cypress park area) - $3.99 p/gallon for 91 as opposed to $4.53 p/gallon just 10 miles up the 110N in Pasadena. i've heard all kinds of rumors and opinions about how somehow Shell, Chevron and 76 have superior gas thats better for your car (better detergents etc.) than Joe Schmoe's El Gasolina but this is going to require some research on my part..

Anyone have actual concrete evidence/studies from credible sources (unbiased, not sponsored by oil companies) that show that Chevron, Shell etc. have better gas than the cheaper places? In my old Tacoma I used to fill up wherever was cheapest. It took 87, didn't seem to give a shit what I put in it, mileage was consistent and it ran fine up to when I sold it with 110k miles on it. As the GTI is an entirely different animal, until now Ive done the big 3 no matter what - Chevron, 76 or Shell, maybe Valero. But with prices going up daily, I couldn't pass up the $3.99 Premium today.. I'm going to keep an eye on my mileage to see if it worsens. Only put in half a tank.

Last edited: