GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HID low beam not working

SawULook

08 Go kart Champion
Car(s)
C.W. .:R32 RIP (L)GS
So all new parts from the 12pin headlight housing plug connector and no DS headlight? The rest of the lights in that housing are functioning properly?

Check your PM for wiring diagrams, you need to take a look at the headlight plug 12 pin connector for power at T12p/6 and ground at T12p/5.

PS have you used Vcds to see if or what dtc you may have for lighting.

No the new driver side is not working at all...plugged it in and the turn signal is not working either. The previous light was working....well at least the blinker. The new one is not working at all...no blinker, no headlight and nothing. I am brand new to the San Antonio, TX area, so I no longer have access to friends or shops who may have a Vag Com to use to see what fault codes are being thrown.

Thank you for the wiring diagram, I will see what I can find out and find. I read that there is a set of relay under the dash that may have blown when the lighting wires on the inside arc'd and took out the light.

This is sooo frustrating and I thought these cars were a solid platform.....looks like once they hit over 100K miles, they start to deteriorate and fall apart...:mad:

It's is now a love / Hate relationship...I love the sound of the car and the way it drives, but all of these little nuances are killing me....headlight, falling headliner, O2 Sensors throwing codes ( No Longer throwing codes when I got to Texas...Strange, but I'm okay with it even though I'm sitting on $425 worth of brand new o2 Sensors...)

Just frustrated and disappointed in the VW Build

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Please take a look at fuse SB47, the fuse box in engine compartment it should be for left headlight and SB48 is for right. You can confirm this in you owners manual.

Check your ground also, all the lighting function in that housing share a ground.

Last edited:

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
108,600 on my MKV R32 and low and behold my driver side light went out and Left Dipped Beam Not Working.

I bought a new bulb thinking that was the problem and same problem. Looked further into the light and the coating over the wire is brittle and fell apart. Started looking at the pin connector and it looked like he wires may have touched, so I got some electrical tape and tried to tape it up the best I could and still nothing. Changed the igniter from the passenger side and still no go on the Dvr Side.

Next I will have to pull both lights off and see if I can switch the ballast to see if the this will fix the problem on he driver side and if so, I will have to buy one used from eBay to get both lights working.

Seems that once my car hit 100,000 miles on it, the electrical gremlins are starting to come out of the cracks.

Now I have (2) o2 Sensors that are throwing codes, and check engine light will come on from time to time and then turn off when it is a warm day.....and now my fuel guage will completely go dead and fall with no reading.

Half of me says to trade it is when the weather is good and hope for the best and the other half of me wants to keep it for my 14 year old son for his first car....

Anyone else have these problems once they hit over 100K

Also, is there any way of testing the ballast other then plug and play to the other side? Will this throw a code that can be read from the Vag Com?

My 08’ .:R is over 230k now, I Maintain myself (unless certain projects over my head. Only prob with hids I had was trying some nice 5000k d2s’s. Over bumps one would shut off, then randomly come back on. Went back to oe type osrams replaced myself, no bumper removal (unnecessary extra labor, shops profit off this shit).

kmb71gti

Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I see this thread is a few years old. I have a 2017 GTI SE with same issue (bulb and ballast replaced doesn't help the low beam out). Has anyone found a remedy? I would prefer to fix this myself over a stealership.