GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HID low beam not working

adech10

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
06' BMP GTI
The HID low beam on my driver side has stopped working and the car is displaying the dipped beam failure and indicator light. I replaced the bulb and swapped the ignitor and such from a working light with no luck. I then swapped the entire headlight assembly with a working one also with no luck. I am at a loss right now and need to get this taken care of ASAP.

I got pulled over on Monday and the cop gave me a warning for tints and expired inspections/emissions stickers. He gave me 5 days to get everything fixed and brought to the local police station for confirmation or I will be issued fines instead. My problem now is I can't get the inspections done with a busted headlight and I need to try and figure something out by Saturday.

Any help would be much appreciated.

adech10

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
06' BMP GTI
everything within the headlight assembly works aside from from low beam. that includes high beams working when lights are off and HID reflector movement for high beams...if that makes sense

brosevelt

Ready to race!
Nope, like I mentioned, I swapped out all components from the working head light with no luck. I also replaced the entire headlight assembly including all components with a different one all together.

Is there a separate fuse for that side's ignitor? That's the only thing I can think of unless a wire is damaged as there are only two wires going to the assembly: one big plug and then the little one to the ignitor.

adech10

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
06' BMP GTI
I don't think there is a separate fuse, but I had them tested as well. The shop I also took it to in addition to what I did said they checked the fuses and they were good. They checked the power going to the headlight and said all of that checked out as well. That's when they suggested changing the entire assembly with all components as well. Zero luck...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Just to be sure, have another shop check for voltage at the HID connector or just try the bulb and ballast from the passenger side. And ballasts can work intermittently.

bushtucker

Nope, like I mentioned, I swapped out all components from the working head light with no luck. I also replaced the entire headlight assembly including all components with a different one all together.

hey man, i'm experiencing the same problem as you. swapped in new bulb, ignitor, ballast, but no luck. problem started with the left side dipped beam, one month later the right side kaput as well.

I suspect that some of the internal wires in the headlight assembly were stripped of its plastic coating and short-circuited.

Not sure which mechanic will have the time and dexterity to re-do the wiring. Most probably will buy a new set of headlight assemblies or a used working set to save $.

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
This just happened to me yesterday, first time driving the car in roughly 2 weeks. Battery was pretty low, around 9 volts, so I put my charger on it and let it go for about 2.5hrs.

Afterwards read 13.8V, disconnected charger and it fired up just fine, but I noticed when my DRL's came on the passenger side (right) wasn't on. I then got the warning on the dash for right side dipped beam malfunction.

I tried toggling the headlights on/off several times, didn't change. Also tried disabling/enabling the DRL's via the handbrake a few times- no change, light is still out.

So I ordered a new pair of 5K HID's from ECS...but then I see this thread which has me worried it could be more than a bulb. Going to try swapping the working drivers side bulb in a minute to see if it works on the other side.

I doubt my ballast is wet, I haven't driven my car in 2 weeks, stored in a garage in hot and very dry Colorado...my car hasn't been my DD for 6 months so it's been driven a total of maybe 200 miles in that time period, hasn't gotten rained on in a while.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with my dieing battery? Could that have tripped something or when I connected my charger caused something? I didn't key the ignition with the charger connected and I've used the charger before in the past.

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
Well update for those who may search in the future, my dying battery was probably just coincidence. I swapped the bulbs and the problem followed the bulb imdicating it was indeed just bulb failure. Looks like it can be a myraid of issues causing one symptom but luckily for me just a blown bulb.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
Twilight Zone: Same circumstance, same symptom

Well update for those who may search in the future, my dying battery was probably just coincidence. I swapped the bulbs and the problem followed the bulb indicating it was indeed just bulb failure. Looks like it can be a myraid of issues causing one symptom but luckily for me just a blown bulb.

Just to chime in here, last week my battery dies (see thread "is everybody packing a group 48 battery?") and after replacing it, two days later I'm seeing the lamp failure light on the tach side of the dash and a message of "left dipped low beam not working" on the center display. Sure enough, the outside HID on the drivers side is out. I decided to take the car to the dealership for the service today. Their estimate to replace both lamps includes R&R of the front bumper for access. Total cost before tax will be $505. Ouch. But it's guaranteed.
The lamp replacement look's do-able from under the hood but VW won't do it that way for fear of damaging the lamp in the process.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Don't do that. Get a pair of oem Philips on Amazon for $60.

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
I got a set of OEM supplier Osram DS2's for $99 bucks. It's tricky to replace the bulbs without removing the headlights, but it can be done, it's really not terrible.