GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HID Bulb Install

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
One other question. The old bulbs, one phillips, one osram both 4300k were definitely white or blue. The new bulbs I installed are both osram 4300k.

I hope its just the burn in period but when they first turn on they are a nice white/blue but about a minute in they turn to a very yellow color and stay that way. I've been driving with them for about a week now. Is this normal and if so will they turn to the white color I had with my old bulbs?

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
one other question, pre-install of the new bulbs the cutoffs on each headlight seemed to line up and was pretty much a straight horizontal line. It seems like now the cutoffs with each light aren't level and they arent as well defined (kind of spread out a little if that makes sense).

I didn't use much force at all to get these in. Could installing new bulbs really change the aim of the light/cutoffs or alignment? Maybe I should check out the leveling arms on the suspension? Thoughts?

one other question, pre-install of the new bulbs the cutoffs on each headlight seemed to line up and was pretty much a straight horizontal line. It seems like now the cutoffs with each light aren't level and they arent as well defined (kind of spread out a little if that makes sense).

I didn't use much force at all to get these in. Could installing new bulbs really change the aim of the light/cutoffs or alignment? Maybe I should check out the leveling arms on the suspension? Thoughts?

If the bulb isnt sitting in place properly, this can happen. Take it out and put it back in with the external wire facing down. Make sure that it stays sitting that way through the reinstallation of the igniter too.

Voyles2

Twisty champ
Car(s)
R
My drivers side was a bit hard and had to access through the inner fender liner to get a straighter shot.

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
If the bulb isnt sitting in place properly, this can happen. Take it out and put it back in with the external wire facing down. Make sure that it stays sitting that way through the reinstallation of the igniter too.

I made sure that was the case and it was. Now the drivers side looks a little hazy at the cutoff where the right side is a nice crisp horizontal cutoff. I'll take out and put back in though everything seems to be nice and tight on that side when I checked.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
I just replaced my HID bulbs since the ones that came with the car had lost quite a bit of the light output and turned pink. I doubt the dealer would have replaced them unless they had failed completely.

It took me two freaking hours over two days to replace the bulbs. Getting the old bulbs out was trivial, getting the new ones in was a bitch. After an hour and a half on the first day my hands were cramped up and I threw in the towel. This morning I was determined to succeed, after having my morning coffee I went back to the garage. Somehow got the first bulb in after five minutes, but struggled with the driver's side for another half hour.

I have fairly small hands, I don't know how someone with big hands does it. For something that is a tool-less procedure, it sure is a pain -- literally. My hands and wrists are still sore.

MYGTI07

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 GTI
^ my hands are big and If I have to work on my headlights I always remove the bumper to save myself the frustration.

gecko80

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV
One of my bulbs just burnt out. I removed the red&black box behind the bulb and now both lights dont work. Does this sound right? I just ordered a set of bulbs and plan on using this page as guidance. Thanks for the input.

Icey Hot Stunna

Passed Driver's Ed
So I had my HID bulbs replaced at the dealer, and the tech changed the bulbs an entire different way. All he did was take off the front grill, loosen something and off came the headlights. Both sides done in less than 20mins.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
My passenger side bulb holder wont budge. I twist it and it stays pretty damn clipped onto it still. Any solutions? Not the red and black chip but the ribbed holder under it

I had the same issue and ended up removing the whole headlight housing to remove the bulb holder and assemble the bulbs + holder + ignitor.

Thanks for this thread it helped me figure out how the hell to get that goddamn ignitor installed again. :thumbsup:

Whoever designed that goddamn thing should be kicked straight in the baby maker, shit.

Jumanji

Thanks for a great DIY. Changed the burned out bulb in 10 minutes. Now I have to wait for Amazon to replace the incorrect 2nd bulb that they shipped me and I can swap out the other headlight so I have 2 matching bulbs.