GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HID Bulb Install

Installed the 6000K Ultinon bulbs tonight. Never been so scared in my life working with 100 dollar bulbs! Anyway...

MAKE SURE YOU WEAR LATEX GLOVES!!! The oils from your skin will damage the bulb glass!

1. Get yourself some 6000k bulbs from xenondepot.com, or your favorite HID bulb supplier.

Made in Germany...also says NOT FOR USE IN EUROPE/USA...yea whatever...

2. Unscrew black cover

3. Rotate to open - don't worry this does not hold the bulb in. When you rotate it to open, the black connector will pop itself off. You can not plug it back in until its reinstalled so don't try!

4. Unscrew this bulb holder...its ribbed for easy gripping :wink: THIS HOLDS THE BULB IN SO BE CAREFUL REMOVING!!!

The bulb is loose in here...nothing holding it in but me.

The socket...note that the cutout is facing down...this is where that covered piece of wire for the bulb goes.

Install in reverse order. I'm not gonna lie its a bitch to get the bulb in with the holder but you should have them together when you put the bulb in the socket, just grip the bulb and steady the holder with your other fingers. There is a TOP marking on the bulb holder so it will be easier to orient it before you try to stick it in heh heh heh...

Comparison shots...the only good comparison I got by accident. I swear I only saw this by accident...so I decided to take a pic of it...ignore my crotch...just focus on my tan kakis :redface:

4300K Stock

6000K Ultinon

Stock left, Ultinon right...

BOTH ultinon...

ALL LIGHTS ON CAPTAIN

Thus endith my journey for a whiter/bluer light. I didn't want obnoxiously blue...that's just meh. I wanted a less yellow than stock result and these DEFINATELY fit the bill :)

Last edited:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Nice job. Sure makes a difference!

If you touch the front of the headlights while they are on... are they hot to the touch?

-h2n-

VW-Cowboy-Monkey
Great post!!:thumbsup:

Straight plug and play just like swapping out any other bulb? no messing around with wiring to ballast etc etc?

Again, great post. Ima gonna be referring to this one in the future for sure so thanks!! :wink:

l00ps

nice. fuck it this just might be my next moddd

Great post!!:thumbsup:

Straight plug and play just like swapping out any other bulb? no messing around with wiring to ballast etc etc?

Again, great post. Ima gonna be referring to this one in the future for sure so thanks!! :wink:

Plug and play my friend...albeit a bit more awkward to do :thumbsup:

Nice job. Sure makes a difference!

If you touch the front of the headlights while they are on... are they hot to the touch?

I honestly don't know...I never touched the stock ones either. Same wattage as stock so shouldn't be too much of a difference.

l00ps

how does it look like more though.... i love how it looks here....

but just too blue here....

AndorGLI

18 and i'll still take U!
Car(s)
VW MKV GLI
I Like Them Alot. Definitly Going To Be On My List!
Good Post

More like the first pic. They really aren't THAT blue.

I forgot to mention this. Please make sure to get genuine Philips bulbs. Generics might not be as reliable or rated for OEM applications.

Those who had questions of the color...its definately more like the comparison pic with the left bulb stock than the pic with both bulbs on. They are not that deep of a blue. If you really want that deep of a blue I suggest 8000K bulbs but Philips doesn't offer that.

Also should mention XenonDepot.com got them to me from Ontario Canada via DHL in 2 days!

change the fogs to match them.
diy is great.
if i had the balls to take the actual headlight out. i would do it. lol
jk

Thanks boss. It would be a hell of a lot easier with the headlight out but you can get away with doing it in the car. Have faith and a steady hand!

Probably gonna get hoen's for the highs and fogs.

GTI DSG

Ready to race!
I upgraded to 8,000K HID when I had my S4 and I actually couldn't see as better after my upgrade visibilitywise.

How does it look on the road and in fogs?