GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HID Bulb Install

Joakester

Just wanted to add to the list of people thanking the OP for this DIY. Never would have attempted this myself without it, but as a result I swapped both bulbs out in less than 20 minutes. Really one of the best DIY posts I've come across.

I noticed a lot of people asking about cheap replacements. I just put these in:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ryZ36476QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So far so good. Regarding the xenon vs. bi-xenon debate, these are working just fine on high beam as well as low, so I'm assuming they're ok.

In any event, best of luck to everyone trying this in the future. Couldn't have been easier due to this post.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Just wanted to add to the list of people thanking the OP for this DIY. Never would have attempted this myself without it, but as a result I swapped both bulbs out in less than 20 minutes. Really one of the best DIY posts I've come across.

I noticed a lot of people asking about cheap replacements. I just put these in:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ryZ36476QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So far so good. Regarding the xenon vs. bi-xenon debate, these are working just fine on high beam as well as low, so I'm assuming they're ok.

In any event, best of luck to everyone trying this in the future. Couldn't have been easier due to this post.

Not a bad price if they're really legit Philips bulbs. And it doesn't matter what HID bulb you use; they'll all support the bi-xenon feature. It's not the bulb itself that gets brighter, there is a flap inside the projector that literally flips the beam up higher. That's why none of the lighting is lost at the bottom part of the beam.

Cheetah

Asss Man
Thanks for the DIY ! I changed them yesterday for Halo 6000k I got on Amazon for $50 (quality looks good).
Passenger side took 5 min, but driver side is a little more tight... 30 min and red hands today...

FahrenheitChic

Car(s)
07 GTI Fahrenheit
Phew, just had to change the low beams on my car. I changed them out for 6k's. They look really nice! Thanks for this thread! Made it easier. :)

sawxfan

I too pay great thanks to those who contributed to this thread - particularly the summary/compendiums at the end on page 11. I just have one thing to add:

Definitely seat the lightbulb in there first. it will nestle into it's place without necessarily clicking or anything, it will just stay put... and *then* put in the cover for it with the metal tab at about 4:30-5 o'clock and twist it clockwise. It was amazing how easy the process was after reading through page 11 on this thread. Thanks folks!! :headbang::headbang:

jbonales

Passed Driver's Ed
I failed and am heading to the dealership in a few hours to have them installed. Ugh. I suck. I was so close and I just can't get the damn igniters back on to due the bulbs notches not lining up.

felix_r32

racecar
yup, but once you have the headlights out, you probably wont even need to remove those screws anyway. you will have enough clearance to play with

noupi

Did both through the fender well

Tried from the top, removed the igniter ,the ring and bulb and it went easy.
I then practiced putting the same back in....
I had the ring get caught up and it was pretty hard to get it loose.
This made me worry about braking one of those small clips.

I was due for a tire rotation so I went with MATT07 GTI 's solution
remove 6 screws ,pull back the liner and Bingo !! 2 minutes its done.
Same for the other side.
Thanks MATT,
I put in the Ultinon 6000K

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
LOL funny thing, i had the headlight off when doin my s3 install and couldnt get the bulb installed. then one day i i went out and tried again with everything in normal position, and after an hr i got it installed. i was able to put the stock bulb in and out easily but my ebay bulb just required a lil bit more "force and finess" lol.

its a bitch at first but then it gets easier....the more times you do it hahaha

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
I think this has been said before but maybe it was buried in the thread. If you're using ebay bulbs or other non-phillips bulbs, you need to grind/sand off the little nipples that are on the bulb. They should come off with relatively little effort, takes about 2 minutes to do. In my experience, it is nearly impossible to get those ebay bulbs in without sanding them off, but once they're off its cake.

carbuyer

Ready to race!
I think this has been said before but maybe it was buried in the thread. If you're using ebay bulbs or other non-phillips bulbs, you need to grind/sand off the little nipples that are on the bulb. They should come off with relatively little effort, takes about 2 minutes to do. In my experience, it is nearly impossible to get those ebay bulbs in without sanding them off, but once they're off its cake.

:rolleyes:

plenty of non-phillips bulbs dont have the nub, and fit in with no modification, such as the osram (another OEM supplier) and morimoto etc bulbs...
its typically the shitty ebay bulbs that have the nubs and other fitment/alignment problems.