GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HID Bulb Install

bobb

Thanks for the replies, as for the warranty, it covers until 50,000 mi, my bulb failed at 51,500 so even though the car is certified and had 23,000 more miles covered. The bulb is not. Dealer wanted 450 to replace 1 bulb.

The inner pin is the one I broke off but that is not the problem. When out of the car connects (even with the missing pin) easily but once the bulb and holder are in place ignitor will not attach.

^^i got mine for cheaper by searching and going with the most legit looking site. $55 shipped for 6000k. still holding strong

DUB2OT

Banned
make sure you buy bi xenon hid bulb. if you buy regular hid bulbs you are not gonna have the hi beam option as soon as you go high beam they will burnout.

DUB2OT

Banned
yeah but not all d2s bulbs are bi xenon. MKV GTI headlights are configured for bi xenon bulbs the same two headlight bulbs are used for high and low beam.

acewayne

Ready to race!

donnyboyy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 UG gti 6spd with
Dsg gti, what you don't understand is that 8000k is not measuring light output but the color of the light! Lumens is the measure of light output. The higher up the kelvin scale you go the more blue then purple the light becomes. I believe the 5300k is the "brightest" color light.

acewayne

Ready to race!
yeah but not all d2s bulbs are bi xenon. MKV GTI headlights are configured for bi xenon bulbs the same two headlight bulbs are used for high and low beam.

quoted from another thread and seems to clear up the issue.

dude, trust us.
get D2S/D2C bulbs and they'll fit in your OEM xenon lights
don't get confused between xenon and bi-xenon. xenon is just the name of the gas inside the bulbs.
the bi-xenon bit just means that the car uses the same bulb for the low beams as well as the high beams - AFAIK there's a little motor or something that turns a reflector which makes the light output more. it's got nothing to do with the actual bulbs themselves.
D2S/D2C are the right bulbs for your car. i have them in mine, and so does everybody else who drives a GTI/R32 on these forums with the OEM bi-xenon light option (it's an option where I live but many countries have them standard)
and these $60 bulbs work fine (LINK). ppl (like me) have had them in their cars for over a year now with no problems.
of course u can get more expensive brands, like PIAA, philips, mtec etc that may cost many times more, but these work just as well.
just like buying a $20k car and an $80k car. they both get u from A to Z - they're just different brands, with different badges on them :thumbsup:

*edit* in fact i have an extra set of bulbs (6000k) here that i purchased from the site above. i got a set of 5000k and a set of 6000k as i wanted to experiment with which colour i like better.

i like the 5000k as they are white with just a tinge of blue. the 6000k still look great but are just a bit more blue, which is really obvious on my white car, and i wanted it subtle. PM me if u want them and I'll send them to u for the same price i bought them (US$60) which includes shipping from all the way down here in OZ (so I'll actually lose a couple of bucks due to the shipping and the shitty exchange rate atm but oh well :thumbsup:)

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45308&page=6

^^fucking this. if its D2S, it works. if you go back ONE PAGE, you'll see where i ask the same question.

also,

Dsg gti, what you don't understand is that 8000k is not measuring light output but the color of the light! Lumens is the measure of light output. The higher up the kelvin scale you go the more blue then purple the light becomes. I believe the 5300k is the "brightest" color light.

lol what page was this on?

Tomvizzle

Would anyone happen to know what the black/red connector piece is called and where I can order it? My piece has completely melted along with the wiring.

DUB2OT

Banned
^^it's called Ballast that's what you get for buying cheap HID bulbs lol.
ask skateboy918 over at vortex here http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...TI-R32-Bi-Xenon-Headlights-(also-Audi-TT-mk1)